_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum
Russian or Soviet vehicles/armor modeling forum.
News
Trumpeter: Big Scale T-72
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 2,713 posts
Armorama: 2,451 posts
Posted: Friday, March 10, 2017 - 08:20 PM UTC

Trumpeter shares further details and photos of what to expect from its recently released 1/16 T-72 kit.

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
alainvandam
Visit this Community
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 59 posts
Armorama: 50 posts
Posted: Friday, March 10, 2017 - 09:32 PM UTC
No engine and interior?? Fail!!
knewton
Visit this Community
New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,217 posts
Armorama: 1,092 posts
Posted: Friday, March 10, 2017 - 10:44 PM UTC
That will be in the next kit. Good business...
spongya
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
KitMaker: 2,365 posts
Armorama: 1,709 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 11, 2017 - 01:03 AM UTC
Yeah... interior is somewhat lacking. (Yet?)
C_JACQUEMONT
Visit this Community
Loire-Atlantique, France
KitMaker: 2,433 posts
Armorama: 2,325 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 11, 2017 - 03:11 AM UTC
I'd dont care about interiors, kits without them are cheaper and faster to build. I like the pinned tracks.

I had decided not to buy 1/16 kits anymore (unless somebody releases a good Hetzer or StuG III G in plastic) but I'll make an exception for this one.

Cheers,

Christophe
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
KitMaker: 3,377 posts
Armorama: 1,088 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 11, 2017 - 11:33 AM UTC
if you look at the turretparfs you will see, that this is born as a RC kit - nevertheless, a lot would be happy to skip the interior and save some bucks
Me109G
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 170 posts
Armorama: 138 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 11, 2017 - 11:33 PM UTC
Looks nice! I personally don't mind if it doesn't have an interior. It'll save time and money! Plus I'm sure there will be another released with one!!
Blucop
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 279 posts
Armorama: 262 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 05:59 PM UTC
There is great potential in aftermarket and future release(s) of different variants. The upper hull is set for separate glacis plates and I could see it being used in earlier designs. It will be interesting to see how the Abrams kit looks upon release. I'm worried it could end up toy like in appearance
SEDimmick
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,745 posts
Armorama: 1,483 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 11:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'd dont care about interiors, kits without them are cheaper and faster to build.

Look at Squadrons pricing for the Miniart T-54 kits in 1/35, the difference in price is a whopping $4...

If it was closer to $10, I'd agree with you.
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Monday, March 13, 2017 - 12:42 AM UTC
I admit I hesitate in enthusiasm. When companies retro-pack RC kits into static models, they often do not add all the expected detail, especially those details needed at 1/16 that you can generally gloss over in 1/35. Like welds. And casting marks. And open louvers. And a proper look for the sights.

Ok, I can here you sucking in breath to say...

...just hold on right there. This is not a bash. This is me NOT getting my hopes up that this will be a properly made static 1/16 kit. Again, retro-packaged R/C kits have a long history of not being good static kits OOB, but having astronomical prices. And I have all the modeller skills needed to make this into a proper build BUT, if kit cost follows as expected, I will not be happy with a fixer-upper.

The sprue shots are not detailed enough for me to see if the weld beads are present as they should be, for example. We shall see.
Scarred
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,792 posts
Armorama: 1,186 posts
Posted: Monday, March 13, 2017 - 02:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I admit I hesitate in enthusiasm. When companies retro-pack RC kits into static models, they often do not add all the expected detail, especially those details needed at 1/16 that you can generally gloss over in 1/35. Like welds. And casting marks. And open louvers. And a proper look for the sights.

Ok, I can here you sucking in breath to say...

...just hold on right there. This is not a bash. This is me NOT getting my hopes up that this will be a properly made static 1/16 kit. Again, retro-packaged R/C kits have a long history of not being good static kits OOB, but having astronomical prices. And I have all the modeller skills needed to make this into a proper build BUT, if kit cost follows as expected, I will not be happy with a fixer-upper.

The sprue shots are not detailed enough for me to see if the weld beads are present as they should be, for example. We shall see.

Exactly. There is something almost toy like about rc kits. I wonder if like old Tamiya kits this thing has the molded in battery box and slots for the on/off switch on the bottom.
C_JACQUEMONT
Visit this Community
Loire-Atlantique, France
KitMaker: 2,433 posts
Armorama: 2,325 posts
Posted: Monday, March 13, 2017 - 04:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I'd dont care about interiors, kits without them are cheaper and faster to build.

Look at Squadrons pricing for the Miniart T-54 kits in 1/35, the difference in price is a whopping $4...

Still more expensive and I have nothng to do with extra parts.

Plus you can cherry pick in another scale for argument's sake but there are also kits that are much more expensive because of interior.
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,402 posts
Armorama: 2,377 posts
Posted: Monday, March 13, 2017 - 04:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Still more expensive and I have nothng to do with extra parts.

Plus you can cherry pick in another scale for argument's sake but there are also kits that are much more expensive because of interior.

Meng's 1/35 FT-17, for example. The exterior-only kit is $40 MSRP/$30 Actual at Squadron while the full kit is $75/$57. At Scalehobbyist, Meng Bradley is $100/$64 with interior, $67/$43 without. (Different versions, yeah, but not $33 different . . .)

If you are aware of other parts of the hobby you'll recognize Eduard's "Weekend Edition" series of kits where all the super-duper extra detailing and interior is stripped away and just a good basic kit is provided for less money. The line has been going on for awhile so obviously there is a market for a model that can be built without paying for a bunch of extra stuff that many modelers will never use.

KL
andromeda673
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 584 posts
Armorama: 525 posts
Posted: Monday, March 13, 2017 - 06:20 PM UTC
depending on the price point, this is one I'd consider building, I have not ever built a large scale tank, and it's been on my bucket list for a very long time, this might just be the spark I need to get after it.

Plus I really enjoy the T72.
andymacrae
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 409 posts
Armorama: 402 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 14, 2017 - 02:30 PM UTC
Wonder if anyone will produce an aftermarket "M" (or M1) turret????
SpaceXhydro
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 418 posts
Armorama: 235 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 15, 2017 - 02:36 AM UTC
i heard they're also releasing an m1 Abrams too.
Scarred
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, April 23, 2017 - 08:19 PM UTC
Well mine should be here sometime this week.
knewton
Visit this Community
New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,217 posts
Armorama: 1,092 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 22, 2017 - 01:27 PM UTC
Scarred, did it arrive? This kit is due for release next week, July 05, for $129US.
duttons
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 193 posts
Armorama: 184 posts
Posted: Friday, June 23, 2017 - 03:38 AM UTC
Its out here in Australia.
Friend bought it, and returned it.
His opinion was that its RC heritage made it not up to standard. It certainly isnt in same league as king tigers for detail etc, and detail did seem a little soft. If happily own, but not at the asking price. If i find one closer to $120 (US$100) at a swap meet it will come home
Scarred
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, June 23, 2017 - 03:47 AM UTC
yeah it did and it is big. My mics open to just over 6 inches and that's still not wide enough to measure the dimensions of the turret while a 1/35 T72 turret is just shy of 3 inches wide. The tub has the screw holes for mounting RC controls and motors and is fairly rigid but has nice details. How accurate they are is yet to be determined. The detail is very crisp and there is a good deal of it. The nice thing is this isn't a kit that builds into simplistic looking toy like other, older large scale tanks. Accuracy, well I haven't checked that yet but the external fuel tanks are molded as one piece so you don't have a seam line to contend with which surprised me because at this scale a seam would be easier to contend with without destroying detail.
 _GOTOTOP