_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Crew figures for British tank regiment
smith_rc3
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 69 posts
Armorama: 66 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 04:29 AM UTC
Hi all, I wonder if anyone can help with suggesting a set of crew figures for a British tank from the 1960's please
Jmarles
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 1,138 posts
Armorama: 953 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 07:29 AM UTC
Well you could try modifying or improving the Tamiya figures from their old kits or if you want to throw down some cash Valkyrie miniatures make a nice set. I guess you could modify other figures as you have a choice of green pants and jacket, green overalls or the DPM tanker jacket.
smith_rc3
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 12:53 PM UTC
Thanks, that was all I could find or think of, however I tried looking up the Valkarye set I could find it, do you know if it avaiable and from whom please. The only tamiya figure I can imagine is the one from their Chieftain, are there other?
Thanks for responding
BootsDMS
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 978 posts
Armorama: 965 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 03:46 PM UTC
The Valkyrie figures do lend themselves to troops of this era; just paint the combat jacket and trousers in olive green to represent the 1960 pattern combat dress. In 1:35 the minor difference are practically indistinguishable although ensure you remove the sleeve pocket. As the heavy duty pullover shows under the smock this should be painted a dark khaki - nearly brownish, shade. The shirt collars should be in khaki unless an officer is being depicted when it should be cream (unless he's a very tactically aware officer in which case he might be wearing an other ranks shirt!)

The DPM combat smock (and trousers) came into service in 1968 and was issued first to the Infantry. I suspect it unlikely that this first version found its way into AFV crews until the following decade, but I might be wrong. Certainly the Combat Arms take priority on new kit.

The Valkyrie set comes with 2 different sets of headset so ensure you use the one minus the boom microphone (for want of a better description) as that reflects later equipment.

The belts on the Valkyrie set are a little bit weedy and are inaccurate for the 58 pattern belt I believe they are trying to depict. They need to be fattened up a bit and be modified to represent the 37 pat version. I would not have thought that crews for this time frame would have access to 58 pat belts though I'm happy to be proved wrong. Of course, if the figures are immersed in the vehicle there is no need to modify the belts at all.

Coveralls were also worn - often with the combat smock - as is still the case today but I do not have sufficient info on this type of clothing. Photos show 2 breast pockets and 2 pockets on the front of the thighs but I am unsure of the actual colour. Of course, as with all uniforms, wear and tear, staining, washing will all effect the garment concerned.

I am also unsure as to the details of the radios - harnesses, etc - but perhaps some venerable RTR or RAC modeller will provide those details?

You could always utilise the ancient Tamiya Stretcher bearer set; these figures are quite useful but need a bit of work (primarily sanding down the moulded on webbing), and I would suggest replacement heads. The Tamiya Chieftain crew should still work for the 60s period I would have thought.

lastly, it may be that the WW2 Pixie Suit was still favoured by some, especially for the early 60s, and possibly a bit later especially in Winter; I recall seeing one in service in the 80s but that was on a Despatch rider.

'Hope this helps somewhere along the line.

Brian
Paulinsibculo
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,322 posts
Armorama: 1,239 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 06:14 PM UTC
Have a look at AC Models, New Zealand, please.
They have BAOR tank crew which might fit.
iowabrit
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 585 posts
Armorama: 557 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 06:58 PM UTC
When I joined 13/18H in '72 we wore DPM jackets over dark green overalls (RTR had black overalls of course). Belts were the old '37 canvas belts often with the back buckles removed, blackened and with polished brass clasps. At some point we were issued with '58 webbing but I don't remember when. Headwear was a beret with Larkspur headset connected to C42 radio. Later, (around '76) we got the first Scimitars and these came with 'Bone Dome' helmets with a boom mic but still connected to C42. Crew weapon was the Stirling SMG
smith_rc3
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 09:09 PM UTC
Thank you for info it is helpful
BootsDMS
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 10:07 PM UTC
I'd forgotten the figures from the Firing Line range; see

https://www.djparkins.com/home.php?cat=256

(hope the link works - if not Google around a bit; this series includes figures in white metal - for both in and out of vehicles in the 1960s pattern Combat Dress including the earlier Parka. One of my favourite figures is the standing figure wearing just that.

Heads could probably do with a replacement but they aren't too bad overall and will perfectly suit the period you are covering.

Brian
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Monday, March 13, 2017 - 12:15 AM UTC
In the early 60's would you not also see some crews in Pixie suits pretty much exactly like the late war ones? I was sure someone here said they were still in service in the early 60's.

Paul
smith_rc3
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, March 13, 2017 - 12:39 AM UTC
Hi Brian I have never heard of Firing Line before and just ordered their crew figures, so thanks for the help
BootsDMS
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 13, 2017 - 02:38 AM UTC
Great! I hope they work for whatever project you have in mind; I used some to populate a Saladin Armoured Car a few years ago (albeit with Ultracast heads) and they turned out just fine.

'Glad to be of help.

Brian
ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,605 posts
Armorama: 1,565 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 14, 2017 - 01:11 AM UTC
Accurate Armour did figures for this era as well

Al
 _GOTOTOP