_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Painting us armor
bankmannl
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 649 posts
Armorama: 609 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 16, 2017 - 10:18 PM UTC
Hi guys,
I was wondering what color is the underside of the fenders painted in ?
In case of an m60a1 in merdc-colors is the underside of the fenders also in camo colors or just basic green.

Ge
Knuckles
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 525 posts
Armorama: 266 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 16, 2017 - 10:26 PM UTC
I just asked my boss who worked in the motorpool at Ft. Carson back in the 80s. He said "We painted everything that was metal. Green was the base, and then tan, and we usually finished with the black. Undersides were green, and we unbolted equipment, painted, then bolted it back on and continued the pattern over the equipment."

I asked about the rubber around the road wheels, and he said "Things such as that, and anything glass were masked off."

I hope this helps.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 16, 2017 - 10:43 PM UTC
under the fenders wasn't painted beyond what the part was manufactured in. Besides, dirt, mud and the tops of the tracks rubbed against the underside of the tracks. Brand new it'd be that forest green our parts came painted in.
bankmannl
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 649 posts
Armorama: 609 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 16, 2017 - 10:59 PM UTC
Thanks guys for the helpful info !

Ge

Knuckles
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 525 posts
Armorama: 266 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 16, 2017 - 11:11 PM UTC
I asked about tow cables, and he said "we painted the ends, but left the cable alone. It was always full of mud, sand, and grease."
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Armorama: 2,052 posts
Posted: Friday, March 17, 2017 - 12:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi guys,
I was wondering what color is the underside of the fenders painted in ?
In case of an m60a1 in merdc-colors is the underside of the fenders also in camo colors or just basic green.

Ge

In the five years I spent as an Armor Officer and the 25 years I spent as a Chemical Officer I never saw anyone paint anything beyond the base coat of green under the fenders. Suprisingly, the paint doesn't wear as heavily there as it does above the fenders, probably for two reasons--it's either covered in dirt or it's washed off on the wash rack. I also have to chuckle every time I see a post about masking stuff-- we used grease from a round 5 gallon can to mask headlights, inspection ports, IR lenses, cat eyes and tailights. Nobody "masked off" roadwheels-- they were just careful with the paint gun. There's not enough masking tape available in the average unit to do that-- we'd save tape for stuff like periscopes, exposed electronics, searchlights, stereographic range finders or other sensitive parts. The depot rebuild paint jobs are a different matter-- they mask, paint under fenders, etc. but a "new" vehicle coming out of depot does not stay that way long. My experience as a Chemical officer meant I served in Artillery, Infantry and with Marine Corps, Navy and Air-Force units too. All are about the same when it comes to unit painting. A caveat to this is CARC paint-- repaints were only done at depot level. I've been retired since 2006, so I can't say what they do now in the field, but I have a freind who is a Depot Commader, and he's told me not much has changed.
VR, Russ
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Friday, March 17, 2017 - 01:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I asked about tow cables, and he said "we painted the ends, but left the cable alone. It was always full of mud, sand, and grease."

And the set you actually used, you kept unpainted but greased. Tow one thing and all that paint on the ends gets torn off.

On a tank we didn't paint under the fenders except when replacing pieces because it got torn up. On trucks we painted inside the fenders on vehicles where it was visible like a deuce-and-a-half.
Photoguy1
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 77 posts
Armorama: 55 posts
Posted: Friday, March 17, 2017 - 09:00 AM UTC
All I can add is that I have seen plenty of overspray on things like tires on bogie wheels (mainly on vehicles from the 3rd ACR) so maybe they weren't as careful at masking as some units.
 _GOTOTOP