Hosted by Darren Baker
Building kits for braille scale dioramas
BlueBear
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 414 posts
Armorama: 148 posts
Posted: Monday, February 23, 2004 - 12:01 PM UTC
I'll proudly admit that I'm one of those of us who patrols my local hobby shops on a weekly basis, ready to grab up my share of new offerings as soon as they are put out on the shelf like a shark hunting for fresh meat! The problem I'm coming up with is the lack of European and Russian Front buildings in 1/72---1/76 scale. HO scale railroad buildings are there but they aren't too detailed, have little or no interior, have walls 3 feet thick, and in a lot of cases cost as much as a new kit with all the bells and whistles. I just spent a week building a basic interior into a field hospital for a Kharkov diorama which the Germans and Russians are snarling over---and then I found out that hardly anything is visable inside after I put on the clay tile roof!
I have another building that will go with it that has been blasted and turned into a strong point by the Russians. I'm scratching my head trying to come up with the makings for the rubble for the caved in walls and flat roof of the thing as well as portraits of Stalin, tables, chairs cabinets, china, glass, silverware, beds, rugs wallpaper, etc.
Maybe this should go into a section for "it'ld be nice if," but wouldn't it be nice if maybe Revell would come up with a line of injection molded buildings, some intact---some burned out for inclusion in dioramas in 1/72 and 1/35? I would lay my money down for something like that; more to build and paint, another discipline of diorama building to master, and an addition that would make dioramas more friendly to those who don't have braille scale archetect's degrees.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Monday, February 23, 2004 - 01:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm scratching my head trying to come up with the makings for the rubble

I usually scratch build my buildings, so rubble is never a problem. I make a flat block of plaster, then scribe the brick work into it and break it up. For rubble I bulk it up first with expanded polystyrene, cover in spackel and stick some bigger pieces into it with the detail scribed. Mix in some pieces of balsa at this stage. Then when dry, paint in diluted white glue and add sand. When dry this gives perfect rubble appearance.
For the rest of the stuff, you should try dolls house type furniture. 1/72 scale is so small, a lot of things may not be possible. I would suggest possibly using fine milliput and sculpting it. As most of its so small, the finer detail will be invisable anyway.
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,595 posts
Armorama: 1,209 posts
Posted: Monday, February 23, 2004 - 10:39 PM UTC
It's a shame you cant get the matcbox kits anymore of the LrDG and the germqn set they were great little dio's on their own wish I still had one or two lying around these days
BlueBear
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 10:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It's a shame you cant get the matcbox kits anymore of the LrDG and the germqn set they were great little dio's on their own wish I still had one or two lying around these days

I have just about every one of the Matchbox kits in my inventory---I'm useing the building shell that comes with the PZKwMk 2F as the basis of my Russian strongpoint across the street from the field hospital. A friend of mine who was doing some contract work in China last year brought me back some Matchbox armor that were the genuine moldings. They had the instruction sheets replaced by ones in Chinese and rub on dry transfer markings. He said that they were easy to find in hobby shops in Beijing and Shanghai.
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,595 posts
Armorama: 1,209 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 01:22 AM UTC
just been to the model shop during luch and one of the little revell kits was open the africa corps one, it has the base of the old matchbox kit in it
bep
Visit this Community
Limburg, Belgium
KitMaker: 566 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 02:37 AM UTC
Blue bear,
Have a look at this site. A lot of buildings, debris, ruined walls in scale 1/72.
tracks n troops

here's an example of a Russian barn - battle damaged in scale 1/72
BlueBear
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 11:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Blue bear,
Have a look at this site. A lot of buildings, debris, ruined walls in scale 1/72.
tracks n troops

here's an example of a Russian barn - battle damaged in scale 1/72

EUREKA! You've found exactly what I've been looking for. Thanks
 _GOTOTOP