_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: WWII Soviet Armor
For discussions related to WW2 era Soviet armor.
Dragon SU-85M gap issues
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,312 posts
Armorama: 1,054 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 11:57 PM UTC
I don't typically build armor models but for some reason I have become interested in WW2 Soviet tanks and tank destroyers. The first kit I started with is Dragon's SU-85M tank destroyer (#9152). All-in-all it is not a bad kit. It has nice crisp lines and not a lot of flash to clean up. However, I got to the point in instructions where I was supposed to install the back wall of the crew compartment and I must say that it looks like crap. There is a rather large gap on each side of the hull; it's almost like the wall piece is too narrow. Has anyone built this particular kit? Am I missing something? I am not sure how to correct this. I could fill the gap with spure or putty and turn it into a weld but I don't think that would be historically accurate. Any suggestions?

Here is the photo of I what I am referring to.

Thanks
Kraftstoff
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 93 posts
Armorama: 37 posts
Posted: Monday, March 27, 2017 - 12:36 AM UTC
Missing Lynx Time on Target says,
"The casemate segment of the superstructure was re-tooled when DML revised their SU-100 kit. The side armor panels are separate parts with add-on pistol-port covers and replacement etched brass tie-down loops. There are two sets of side plates, each tailored for the two different rear plates. The two types of rear casemate armor plate sections include one with the lower hatch opening and separate lid, the other has a plain surface; note that the former is now marked as not for use on the parts map, but the instructions show it being used. Naturally, the modeler should consult his references to determine what features his replica needs and act accordingly. Regardless, both have a pistol-port plug and a view-port slit molded in place, and there are separate triangular-shaped fillets added to them at each corner."
I have this kit packed away somewhere... I'll have to check it out
Marty
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 27, 2017 - 03:00 AM UTC
Thank you for your response. My kit only came with one rear plate, the one with a split hatch door.
C_JACQUEMONT
Visit this Community
Loire-Atlantique, France
KitMaker: 2,433 posts
Armorama: 2,325 posts
Posted: Monday, March 27, 2017 - 04:57 AM UTC
Dragon did three 1/35 SU-85M kits over the years :

- the first, no frills, "plain Jane edition" issued kit
- a premium edition kit with new/retooled parts, PE and I think a metal barrel.
- the latest "budget priced" Orange kit, with magic tracks and bonus stowage.

Judging by the reference number, you're talking about the latest, Orange kit.

I built the first issued kit many years ago and had zero issues.

The aforementioned Missing Lynx reviewed kit might be the premium edition?

Cheers,

Christophe
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,866 posts
Armorama: 1,808 posts
Posted: Monday, March 27, 2017 - 05:04 AM UTC
Welcome to the wonderful world of Dragon's wt? (what the ?)!

The remarks posted from the ML site mentions inserts to "fill the gaps" so the sides should look sort of like in the picture. Your kit did not show up on the Hobby Search site so this was the closest thing I found, and probably is what it should look like. It's nothing like the model I built years ago.

Have you tried fitting the hull sides?
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Monday, March 27, 2017 - 06:20 AM UTC
That shot of the rear casement shows exactly what they did...fudged it! It looks like they spackled the corners with filler to cover the screw-up!

I get more disappointed with DML by the day. They did the same kind of fudge-fixing method in their T-34-767 kit. Just...sad.

Both earlier kits of the SU-85 and SU-85M have no problems here. I have built both.

I guess orange and black label = death now, like a scary halloween.
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Monday, March 27, 2017 - 06:31 AM UTC
What it should look like:

and

They tried to make it look sorta correct, but the back plate is just too short, especially at the top half. I suggest using some plastic card to correct it and put in those sexy rough weld lines with putty to fix.
Marty
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 27, 2017 - 06:04 PM UTC
Yes, the kit I have is the one with "magic" tracks.

Quoted Text

I suggest using some plastic card to correct it and put in those sexy rough weld lines with putty to fix.

Yes, that is what I will have to do.

Thank you all for your help. Much appreciated
Kraftstoff
Visit this Community
Canada
Posted: Wednesday, March 29, 2017 - 12:43 AM UTC
I just pulled my SU-85M (6096) off the shelf and indeed it only has the single rear casemate plate featuring the hatch cutout..
I guess I'll cross that fit issue when I get to it..

Kraftstoff
Visit this Community
Canada
Posted: Wednesday, March 29, 2017 - 12:54 AM UTC
Curiosity got the better of me and 2 snips with the Xuron and the rear casemate plate slid in the opening with perfect fit... Guess I have to build this now
 _GOTOTOP