_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: IDF [Israeli Defense Forces]
Armor and AFVs of the IDF army from 1947-today.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Merkava IV Commander's Panoramic Sight Mesh
cabasner
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,083 posts
Armorama: 1,014 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 09:27 AM UTC
Hi All,

I am building the Academy Merkava IV LIV version. I also have the Desert Eagle Merkava IV book. In the book, I've noted the Commander's Panoramic Sight protective mesh appears to go completely around the sight. I got the Eduard PE set for the Merkava IV, and the part 11, which is that protective mesh, only covers about 290 degrees around the base of the sight, leaving about 70 degrees worth of the sight without the mesh cover. I'm presuming that the Eduard part was simply made too short, that the makers didn't realize that the mesh should cover the entire sight (all the way around). Am I missing something? Am I correct in believing that the mesh should go all the way around the sight? If there is no additional mesh in the PE set, what would you recommend to do about the missing mesh?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
bob_gs
Visit this Community
Homyelrskaya, Belarus
KitMaker: 172 posts
Armorama: 172 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 10:38 AM UTC
With permission Michael Mass (I hope...)
хостинг изображений
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 07:39 PM UTC
Why don't you use the part provided by Academy in the kit? It covers the sight at 360°.

Olivier
cabasner
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 09:41 AM UTC
Vladimir and Olivier,

See, this is why I come to Armorama. Olivier, you are EXACTLY right! Not only does the kit photo etch go all the way around the sight, but the top mesh part, supplied with the kit photo etch parts, is FAR better than the aftermarket Eduard part. Wow! I always assume that aftermarket parts are superior to what the kits supply, but in this case, that was 100% wrong. Thank you, gentlemen! One of the issues is that the instructions don't even mention the kit photo etch parts. I learn so much here.

Again, thank you, gentlemen! Problem solved!!!!
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
Posted: Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 10:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

One of the issues is that the instructions don't even mention the kit photo etch parts. I learn so much here.

You're welcome Curt. The PE instructions come as a separate sheet.

A bit strange but you have them included in the box.

Olivier
cabasner
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 12:27 AM UTC
Olivier, I noticed the separate PE instructions in the box after I made my comment about there being no instructions for the kit PE. SO, there ARE instructions, but it seems a bit odd that they don't include the PE parts in the main instructions. Of course, now that I KNOW where everything is, it seems rather obvious. You have been a great help, sir!
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
Posted: Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 12:38 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Olivier, I noticed the separate PE instructions in the box after I made my comment about there being no instructions for the kit PE. SO, there ARE instructions, but it seems a bit odd that they don't include the PE parts in the main instructions. Of course, now that I KNOW where everything is, it seems rather obvious. You have been a great help, sir!

You're welcome Curt.
I concur that this really is a weird way of giving instructions.

Olivier
Namabiiru
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 2,888 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 06:49 PM UTC
Is it possible the PE was added as an update to a previous release of the kit, and that it was simpler to just drop in an extra instruction sheet, rather than completely re-do the original instructions?

bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
Posted: Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 10:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Is it possible the PE was added as an update to a previous release of the kit, and that it was simpler to just drop in an extra instruction sheet, rather than completely re-do the original instructions?

I don't think so. Indeed Academy released another version of the Merkava IV but the roof arrangement was different so the instructions needed to be new ones for the LIC version anyway.
Olivier
 _GOTOTOP