_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum
Russian or Soviet vehicles/armor modeling forum.
Chinese Colors
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,362 posts
Armorama: 2,005 posts
Posted: Friday, April 07, 2017 - 11:58 PM UTC
In the past it used to be dark green-same as Soviet (I assume). In the 1980's it was 3 colors. Later on, there was more color variety.

Any guide?
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,094 posts
Armorama: 2,942 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 08, 2017 - 03:31 PM UTC
Best guide to modern colors I ever found was the painting guides in modern PLA Hobbyboss kits, the Meng Shi for example. I assume their various other modern PLA kits have good painting guides too. They had quite a few options for the vehicles and the names of them- digital and color patches. Using this and the Chinese characters for the vehicles I was able to track down some interesting reference pictures. You could try looking on that Japanese site that shows the contents of the kit boxes and the instruction pages- I can't remember the name of it, sorry!
alainvandam
Visit this Community
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 59 posts
Armorama: 50 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 08, 2017 - 04:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Best guide to modern colors I ever found was the painting guides in modern PLA Hobbyboss kits, the Meng Shi for example. I assume their various other modern PLA kits have good painting guides too. They had quite a few options for the vehicles and the names of them- digital and color patches. Using this and the Chinese characters for the vehicles I was able to track down some interesting reference pictures. You could try looking on that Japanese site that shows the contents of the kit boxes and the instruction pages- I can't remember the name of it, sorry!

For the japanese site, you mean 1999co
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 04:18 AM UTC
The two vehicles I have in planning are Bronco Type 63 APC's both the original and second versions meant for PLA use. I have seen color pictures of said vehicles on this very forum and on Wikipedia, but even then you see the paints in the hobby shop and are unsure which is which.
Karl187
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 03:18 PM UTC
Well in terms of style the most common was the tri-color scheme using Dark Green, Light Green and a tan color. I believe they may also have, sometimes, used something akin to NATO black instead of the dark green. I remember doing this scheme on a wheeled APC ages ago. I think I blogged it here. I will see if I can track it down and see what colors I used as I think I got them pretty close.
aleluya
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 247 posts
Armorama: 247 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 03:52 PM UTC
Depend on what vehicle and what era and what district it belong to you use..specify the vehicle then I can help you
bots1141
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 318 posts
Armorama: 313 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 04:14 PM UTC

This is the pattern that I like but they only suggest two colors for Tamiya paint. The one green color Hobbyboss tells you to use XF20 which is actually medium grey!
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 04:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Depend on what vehicle and what era and what district it belong to you use..specify the vehicle then I can help you

The later APC, one used in 1989 Tiananmen Square. Seems quite a few military districts sent their forces there.

The earlier one, the 1979 China-Vietnam war.
aleluya
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 247 posts
Armorama: 247 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 05:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

The later APC, one used in 1989 Tiananmen Square. Seems quite a few military districts sent their forces there.

The earlier one, the 1979 China-Vietnam war.

Oliver dark green.
dmiles
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 160 posts
Armorama: 159 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 05:25 PM UTC
I spend a lot time pondering colours and I feel the following are good matches. On Tamiya XF 59modern standard 3 colour soft edge camouflage base colour FS 34102 Model Masters 1713 for the tan Tamiya XF-59 Desert Yellow and the Dark Green Tamiya Xf11 J.N. Green. For the 4 colour digi cam I used reverse masking, spraying the colour and placing masks over it. I started wits Vallejo 70.819 position 124 Iraqi Sand, for the light Green I used Vallejo 70.857 position 79 Golden Olive next the Dark Green Tamiya Xf11 J.N finally the Light Green and finally Model Masters 1713.

I recently finished Pandas ZTZ-99A and these vehicles have another variation on the 4 colour digi cam and for this vehicle I again reversed masked starting with the light orangeish/pinkish brown I mixed Humbrol 66 flesh with Model Masters 1735 wood about 60/40 (I later discovered that Gunze Mr Hobby H44 flesh was closer to the colour I was after), the Dark Brown Gunze H66 Sandy Brown to be very close and finished with the Dark Green Tamiya Xf11 J.N finally the Light Green and finally Model Masters 1713.
bots1141
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 318 posts
Armorama: 313 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 08:15 PM UTC
I found this on the internet awhile ago. This person used tamiya paint but he didn't show the ratios.

Karl187
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 10:06 PM UTC
Just found that old thread of mine where I did a ZSL-92 in tri-tone. I used Tamiya XF-60 for the tan color and then Interior Green and Camouflage Green from Vallejo Model Air for the two green colors. Looking at refs of the ZSL it seems like those colors are decent enough matches, but then in other pictures the greens appear too bright. Similar color variations are apparent when the YW series are seen in refs too- some where the greens are very dark, quite possibly one being black, and some where they are quite light.

However, I believe they actually had most, if not all, of their equipment dark green when they invaded Vietnam. I don't believe the tri-tone colors arrived until around 1990, perhaps even the mid-90s. A possible idea would be to find pictures (if there is any) of military parades around this time- usually a new camouflage scheme would be shown off at these.
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, April 10, 2017 - 12:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Just found that old thread of mine where I did a ZSL-92 in tri-tone. I used Tamiya XF-60 for the tan color and then Interior Green and Camouflage Green from Vallejo Model Air for the two green colors. Looking at refs of the ZSL it seems like those colors are decent enough matches, but then in other pictures the greens appear too bright. Similar color variations are apparent when the YW series are seen in refs too- some where the greens are very dark, quite possibly one being black, and some where they are quite light.

However, I believe they actually had most, if not all, of their equipment dark green when they invaded Vietnam. I don't believe the tri-tone colors arrived until around 1990, perhaps even the mid-90s. A possible idea would be to find pictures (if there is any) of military parades around this time- usually a new camouflage scheme would be shown off at these.

Tiananmen Square 1989 did have 3-color tanks and APC's.

The other question-random patterns, or was there a specific scheme? The former seems to be the case.
Karl187
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 10, 2017 - 03:32 PM UTC
Yeah I realized after I wrote that last post that there were tanks famously pictured with the man standing in front of them that were in tri-tone at Tiananmen so I guess they were changing to that around that time.

I think you are probably right about the patterns being random- however, when they changed to digital it seemed like the layout for some vehicles was identical - I guess they were standardized by vehicle type to make painting them easier in those patterns.
 _GOTOTOP