_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Miss Adventures
BUTA46
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
KitMaker: 117 posts
Armorama: 113 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 08, 2017 - 08:57 PM UTC
(Here goes nuthin)
Greetings and good day to you, fellow time-traveling plastic bender! Welcome to my bench. I apologize for skipping protocol on the Introduction phase, but we can cover that here over time. This thread is about a vignette of a 1:1 late '42 GPW named Miss Adventure by her builder-owner, Dr Crystal Hall, using a 1/35 Bronco model to be built of said GPW and one of the MasterBox 1/35 Pin Up girls, code-named Kelly Josephine Callahan. All three get to be Miss Adventure here plus some tales of my own misadventures. I have been working on the two 1/35 since last November and I'd like to share what's up.

The 1:1 Miss Adventure Ford was built on December 24, 1942 and was was originally restored to vintage, relatively stock condition by Crystal and her dad, Joe, twenty-some years ago but was built to spend time in the Maine woods. And it did. The picture below is a picture of a picture of Joe piloting Miss Adventure up Three Hanes Hill, so named for the average underwear count used to get up the hill. It's steeper than it looks when you're in a stock sixty year old truck.

At present, Miss Adventure 1:1 is in as many pieces as the Bronco GPW because the Hall Restoration Team has taken it apart to re-restore it to factory Master Class for the Nationals in May at Aberdeen. We are likely to see a few more pictures of that restoration as I compare the 1/35 to the 1/1. Note the script "F" stamped into the frame under the driver side shock mount. Every Ford manufactured part on a factory GPW was marked with an "f" of some sort to identify it as Ford, for warranty claims, according to the lore. Even the bolts used throughout construction of the body and chassis were marked on the head with a script f.

The Bronco GPW Miss Adventure is going to get some of the Voyager PE, some of the Eduard PE, Archer Transfers for the dash and lettering (Thanks, Archer Team for the You-Tube videos!) and maybe some Firestone NDTs from SKP. They've been on back order for more than six weeks now. Apparently by December of 1942 Ford had stopped using Ford tires. Warranty issues, maybe.

The Master Box Pin Up Miss Adventure came out of the box looking somewhat different than the box art. The figure has spent a lot of time at Dr Maxwell Bhakadablade's Studio of Plastic Surgery and Auto Body. They charged me for forty seven #11 blades to get to this stage. Kelly Jo got new/old stock web gear from Verlinden, an M1 bayonet by Tamiya, a Remington Rand .45 ACP in a holster and magazine pouches from Live Resin and a tee shirt from Zig Zag. No way was I getting alway with not putting some clothes on the stock figure of Kelly Jo. The Minister of War and Finance would be cutting some things off, figuratively, if not literally, I fear. Original kit M1A1 and magazine pouches were used. As the last image below came into focus I got hit in the head with a virtual flying frying pan from Steve, up in the Historical Accuracy Dept., by being told that the M36 suspenders are supposed to cross over in the back. Oh boy. (Obviously done by someone who has never worn them.) Lot of super glue there already. Not really fixable... "Mm, yes, Officer, I have my Artistic License here somewhere. It's with my Carry Permit for those number eleven blades you see there. Insurance? No I can't get insurance for number elevens anymore. Not with my record. Just look at my thumb..." Steve also ordered a change to the previously modified model 1910 first aid pouch back to an M42. Those people in HistAcc. Grrrrr. Will fix the pouch and then on to Hair & Make-Up.

jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 08, 2017 - 09:36 PM UTC
Cool project and a great start. I hope you are buying the number 11s in bulk from Office depot or something like that ? Staples ?
J
BUTA46
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 02:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Cool project and a great start. I hope you are buying the number 11s in bulk from Office depot or something like that ? Staples ?
J

Yes, yes indeed...

BUTA46
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 03:06 PM UTC
Primer coat over Mr. Surfacer 1200, Vallejo brown primer mixed with bone primer for skin tones and straight bone primer for the clothing and gear.

jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 06:28 PM UTC
Uh oh,I can't help it but I automatically heard Beevus and Butthead in my brain saying "heheh heheh,he said straight bone,heheh,heheh".
Sorry man,nice work though.
J
BUTA46
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
Posted: Monday, April 10, 2017 - 01:19 AM UTC
Don't get us in trouble, Jerry. Innuendos are tough enough to get away with on this one.
 _GOTOTOP