_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Review
Academy: Jagdpanzer 38(t) Hetzer
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 12, 2017 - 07:06 PM UTC

Talal Mashtoub takes a look at the most recent version of the Hetzer from Academy.

Read the Review

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
bilbobee
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 414 posts
Armorama: 406 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 12, 2017 - 08:13 PM UTC
this is a rebox from 2013. What's the saying , been there done that! I would like for Armorama to review their Review policy. Just a throught, not saying good or bad. Just saying armorama needs to be more hands on. That's all.
brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,272 posts
Armorama: 1,860 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 12, 2017 - 09:28 PM UTC
I know. I built this kit myself over two years ago.
Cantstopbuyingkits
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,099 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 02:28 AM UTC
Tom, the picture you posted is upside down
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 06:40 PM UTC
If you scroll through all the reviews you will see that this kit despite its age was not reviewed before. In fact it's nice to see one with sprue pictures.

So even though the kit isn't new, the review is. I have the late one and there are more changes between early and late than the gun mantle as in the kit. But it's a nice simple build and works for Girls Und Panzer.

Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 06:52 PM UTC
How about a comparison review between Dragon, Italeri, Tamiya, and Academy Hetzers. Also compare prices for value/dollar.

Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 07:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

How about a comparison review between Dragon, Italeri, Tamiya, and Academy Hetzers. Also compare prices for value/dollar.

I did a lot of comparing when choosing the kit to get. Supposedly the best kit is Tamiya's. Dragon is second with Academy close behind. Academy has some supposed shape issues and with the new link and length suspension in the latest issues, Italeri is vastly improved but has some really weird bulged road wheels.

For me the best value is the Academy as it can be found for under $20. Italeri is way over priced and if you find an old one with the vinyl track you have to add the expense of completely replacing the suspension as it dates from the time of "can't see it, no detail"

Tamiya is a better value than Dragon as all around. Tamiya kits are so beautifully molded and engineered whereas the Dragon is one of their first from when they finally started getting things right ( I guess you could call it late Imperial Period, pre-Smart-kit maybe we should date Dragon kits like Chinese Imperial Dynasties)

And we forgot the Eduard kit.
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 08:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

We'd love to have such a review! All we need is a volunteer to write it...

All the reviews here are by volunteers so we can only publish what we are sent. And many are where somebody has pulled a kit from their own stash, rather than a manufacturer's free new sample of the latest release, so we get a mixed bag of old and new kits popping up in the "to be published" queue. I view it as all good, especially if somebody kindly posts a review of an oldie that I've been thinking about buying, so I can see what's inside before I part with cash. Sure, they may have had detailed magazine articles on that kit back in the day, but who has such a back-catalogue of old magazines to refer to?
Taeuss
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Armorama: 3,778 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 10:53 PM UTC
Gave my nephew one of these last Christmas and was reasonably satisfied with the detail provided. Me personally, I liked that he was happy and that it was modestly priced only made me smile more. Going to have to dig through the stash some day soon (?) and see if I can do a build review on something older and ignored.
 _GOTOTOP