_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas: Small Scale
Dioramas of subjects smallers than 1/32 scale.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Anybody had any luck with 1/72 scale figures?
chuckster
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 289 posts
Armorama: 170 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 05:14 PM UTC
I bought some Revelle 1/72 scale German paratroopers with the intent of making a diorama. I thought using 1/72 scale would allow me to include more terrain, vehicles, action etc. However, I found the 1/72 scale figures to be of pretty poor quality. The heads look more like watermelons! Then, I bought some 1/35 scale Italeri German paratroopers. The detail is fantastic! It had made me re-think my plans to build 1/72 dioramas. I was wondering if anybody has had good luck with 1/72 scale products and 1/72 scale dioramas in general.
lestweforget
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 2,832 posts
Armorama: 1,500 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 08:31 PM UTC
G'day mate, i have done a few 1:72 dioramas and they turn out great, takes a bit of practice but they are good if you wanna have alot of terrain and vehicles as you said, Italeri make very good quality 1:72 figs, cheers
Graywolf
Staff MemberSenior Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Izmir, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 6,405 posts
Armorama: 1,850 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 08:45 PM UTC
Because of the small scale and soft plastic;I agree the quality and detailing of 1/72 figures are not good as 1/35 . As LWF told the italeri small scales are better than the old ones, but if you stikk think to build 1/72 dioramas,I suggest you to check PREISER FIGURES
BlueBear
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 414 posts
Armorama: 148 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 10:11 PM UTC
I have several dozen packs of 1/72 figures from different companys so I can mix and match for whatever situation I want to model. You might have gotten a bad batch, with excess flash, but Revell is usually pretty good. I have 1 pack of Siberian Russians that has quite a bit of flash on some of the figures, and 1 pack of German horse artillery that had the same problem. I bought another pack, and it had hardly any.
capnjock
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 860 posts
Armorama: 411 posts
Posted: Friday, February 27, 2004 - 06:02 AM UTC
Nope, I am staying in 1/35. Thank you! Too darn small for me!
capnjock
Longshanks
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 191 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 29, 2004 - 12:03 PM UTC
Hmmmmmmm..! 1:72 Figures tend to be of a poor quality. (Or maybe thats just me!) The vehicles and Tanks tend to include more detail................Smaller bits to lose aswell!
Boomstick
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 10 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 02:58 PM UTC
I recently purchased two Shermans, a German 37mm AA halftrack, and a passle of figures for a diorama, all in 1/72. One of the Shermans was from Italieri, and I'm very displeased with it. The same goes with the Italieri figures; they give 50 different figures in a total of 4 poses, so you don't get much variety. However, the other Shermie, the AA gun, and the other figures were from Hasegawa, and they are spectacular! The detail is very good, and I haven't found any flash on the material. The only problem I have had is that enamel paint doesn't adhere to the plastic very well, so it requires numerous coatings, ever after being cleaned.
geronimo
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 136 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 09:53 PM UTC
Problem with most 1/72 figures is that they''re made of polyethylene, so there's not much room for conversions (try to glue it!). As mentioned before, the poses are rather limited.
I remember Hasegawa produced a set of each German and US troops made of polystyrene (good quality). And the german manufacturor PREISER does some uncommon [german] stuff in 1/72 (also polystyrene).

@chuckster

I have had that set ,too. This is truly the best example for bad quality. Try to find ESCI's german paras, they're much better.

Cheers

Frank
wampum
Visit this Community
Tekirdag, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Armorama: 661 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 10:45 PM UTC
With Revell 1/72 figures I had problems, too. But with a little bit patience and practice you can realize some excelent dioramas using these figures.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 11:19 PM UTC
I've used ESCI for my 1/72 dio's an AC and a WWI diorama. I think overall they both turned out well. The Flight crew was a new batch and was nicer as far as detail goes. The WWI was Ok, but not great.
You do have to consider how a viewer looks at that scale, you simply don't get the chance to 'get in and close' to a 1/72 dio the same way you do with a 1/35 scale.

Have to agree with previous comments - the rubbery plastic used in 1/72 does make conversions a real challenge. It can be done, but you have to be more creative and more patient. Small wire is a big help.
focke91
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 25 posts
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2004 - 03:27 AM UTC
hi chuckster
i mainly build 1/72 i think your right about revell german paratroops heads lookin like watermelons!!! i have airfix 1/72 german paratroops they good aswell and ive done a diorama with them and used some british paras aswell,if you cant paint 1/72 figures well use a magnifier class it helps me and my figures turn out well ,so i definately have good luck with 1/72.
rhys
Sensei
Visit this Community
Belgrade, Serbia & Montenegro
KitMaker: 1,217 posts
Armorama: 799 posts
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2004 - 03:33 AM UTC
I recently did 2 of 1/72 scale dios with airplanes and figs, thewy were Heller's

They're just fine... some extra molds to clear but not too hard

u can viev pics on my website (click on picture below...)

greets
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Armorama: 2,447 posts
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2004 - 04:35 AM UTC
Czech Masters

"Czech Master's Kits offers high quality cast resin products. Their figure sets have detached arms, heads, etc to allow custom poses."

See these, though I haven't tried them yet.
philp
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 122 posts
Armorama: 51 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 02, 2004 - 08:14 AM UTC
The best figures for 72nd scale are Preiser, or some of the resin/metal figures. A lot of these are used for wargaming and come in 20mm or 25mm. Check out the Figure section in On the Way for some good reviews http://www.ontheway.us/kitlists/manufacturers.htm
also, Tracks and Troops out of Belguim has a very good selection and I have heard good things about their delivery and customer service http://www.tracks-n-troops.com/1-72%20figures.htm
A lot of these are also available from other distributors like Squadron, Great Models, VLS, etc.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 02, 2004 - 10:01 AM UTC
Was at our local IPMS meeting tonight and a guy sells aftermarket stuff brings along all his latest dtuff to show and sell. Its a great chance to inspect all these new releases up close and get temptedinto buying them. I saw a set of warrior german tank riders (4) and they were cheap so I inspected them... they were 1/72. Resin 1/72 figures???
The detail on these was great .. almost tempting. As this scale gets more and more popular there are going to be better figures. MIG has also some russian resin figures.
Pity its early days at the moment, but there might be hope for the future!
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 02, 2004 - 06:51 PM UTC
MIG has several packs of figures which are out of this world I'll let the pics speak for themselves:

Ist Pic are Modern German:

German Tank Crew, WWII:

German MPs:

German Paras:

More Germans:

These are from a new company called PEGASUS:

Now I don't know who said that the quality of 1/72nd scale figure was poor... These images are good, but I could equally post another 20 from the files... There is hardly a week goes by in which I don't find a load of excellent Small-Scale figures, the stuff that is getting produced these days is beyond belief....Jim
riversphynxz
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 262 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 02, 2004 - 10:49 PM UTC
try fujimi 72nd figures, they are good quality.
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
Armorama: 1,867 posts
Posted: Monday, June 07, 2004 - 07:28 AM UTC
I would also suggest that you check out Tracks-n-Troops on Scalemodelindex.com. There you will find a whole, lots, mucho, ton-of, plethora, a**-load, of stuff, for 1/76-1/72 kits, figures, accessories, etc. Huge selection. HTH "Q"
Tobbger
Visit this Community
Blekinge, Sweden
KitMaker: 21 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 03:47 AM UTC
I have some Airfix WWII US Marines. Great details, but no variations in poses etc.
AgProv
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 02, 2012 - 09:26 AM UTC
Hi

May I suggest that the Revell German Paratroops are... well, they must have got past Qualty Control on a bad day, as they certainly are not good figures and are not at all representative of the very best Revell figures out there. Apparently this was the first set of WW2 figures Revell commissioned, which makes sense of their mediocrity.

That great site Plastic Soldier Review has this to say of this set:
http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=289

To me, for diorama purposes, the best WW2 German Paratroops in 1:72 are:-
http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=111

Your opinion may differ....
DOntos
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 89 posts
Armorama: 72 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 02, 2012 - 10:22 AM UTC
Theres also Ceasar miniatures plastic figures in 1/72 which are very nice when you get rid of the rather big pour plugs.
I have the WWII german panzer crew set which have some great poses of crews at rest.

There is also resin miniatures on the Milicast website which are brilliant although closer to 1/76.
PIPboy
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
KitMaker: 8 posts
Armorama: 3 posts
Posted: Friday, August 03, 2012 - 06:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It had made me re-think my plans to build 1/72 dioramas. I was wondering if anybody has had good luck with 1/72 scale products and 1/72 scale dioramas in general.

i feel your pain! i would love to make some 1/72 vietnam war dioramas, but i have a really hard time to buy any quality figures (or vehicles, which makes the situation even worse )
nikon1
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 622 posts
Armorama: 605 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 09, 2012 - 03:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

It had made me re-think my plans to build 1/72 dioramas. I was wondering if anybody has had good luck with 1/72 scale products and 1/72 scale dioramas in general.

i feel your pain! i would love to make some 1/72 vietnam war dioramas, but i have a really hard time to buy any quality figures (or vehicles, which makes the situation even worse )

CMK makes several sets of Vietname era figures. 2 different sets of US figures and one set of VC figures.

Charlie
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Monday, December 10, 2012 - 04:27 AM UTC
Dragon has reproduced a few of their 1/35 figure sets in 1/72 and are available packaged with some vehicle kits - 8 Fallschirmjager with Tiger ll; A/T gun crew with Pak 7.5cm AT gun; Panzer crew ("Achtung Jabo!" set) with Panther; and Panzer Grenadiers ("Ambush at Poteau" set) with halftrack. The figs are multi-part with all equipment and weapons separate - almost as many parts as their 1/35 counterparts. These kit combinations are a bit rare but are well worth buying when found. With the exception of resin, these are absolutely the best injected plastic figures, and for the price of 4 resin figures you get 4 Dragon PLUS a vehicle kit!
spacewolfdad
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 642 posts
Armorama: 593 posts
Posted: Monday, December 10, 2012 - 07:12 AM UTC
Hi Chuck,

At the moment some of the best plastic figures are the ones you get from Dragon and best of all there is a free tank with them as well!

I also use these figures by Elheim, AB, MMS and Milicraft excellent figures and worth looking at...

http://elhiemfigures.com/24.html
http://www.abfigures.co.uk/
http://www.mms-models.co.uk/accessory/index.php
http://www.milicast.com/shop/home.php?cat=144

The last three firms are dedicated to 1/76, but with scale creep and the fact people are different sizes they are more than acceptable.

As other people have said the quality of figures in 1/72 is improving all the time and the set you got probably dates from the 1970's, which explains the quality. As a dedicated Braille Scale modeller the biggest complaint at the moment is this very topic, lack of good figures. Hope this helps.

All the best,

Paul
 _GOTOTOP