Hosted by Darren Baker
Swabbie, tries Armor! (PIC'S)
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 1,969 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 08:53 PM UTC
This is my first fully detailed try at Armor. Its the Tamiya 1/35 M48A3 Patton tank. The old ship modeler finely got hooked on Armor! Please have a look at my model, photo's are in my gallery. Feel free to comment , I need the input good or bad.

Garry
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,127 posts
Armorama: 1,217 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 09:03 PM UTC
looks pretty good mate, what paint did you use for the od?

its a good match for it, and the weathering is very good.

one thing, the jerry cans should be the same colour as the tank, the green is far too bright!

cheers

joe
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 09:14 PM UTC
Just fix the jerry can color and I would say you found your new calling.
Looks good Garry.
blank
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 190 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 11:58 PM UTC
That's a sweet-looking tank.... you say this is your FIRST one? Hmm, that fine-detail work with ships must be paying dividends for armor work! Keep up the good work - build more tanks!
shonen_red
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 5,762 posts
Armorama: 2,283 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 12:35 AM UTC
Not bad mate! I'm no armor guy but it looks like a pro's work! Love it! Too bad there are no close ups on the model

Great work!
cardinal
Visit this Community
Visayas, Philippines
KitMaker: 1,008 posts
Armorama: 469 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 01:09 AM UTC
I couldn't even tell that you were a shipbuilder, excellent job there Garry. I couldn't have done it better myself. Maybe you should take a break from building ships & try a few more armor. Cheers!!
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 03:00 AM UTC
Thanks guys for the complements and advice! This was my 5th Armor model, but the first I have tried all of my learned techniques on. I must thank alot of you members here for showing me these techniques! And yes, I am a confirmed Armorholic now.

Cheers,

Garry
shonen_red
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 5,762 posts
Armorama: 2,283 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 03:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks guys for the complements and advice! This was my 5th Armor model, but the first I have tried all of my learned techniques on. I must thank alot of you members here for showing me these techniques! And yes, I am a confirmed Armorholic now.

Cheers,

Garry

Try ACs! Try ACs! Try ACs! They're also addictive!
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 04:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

looks pretty good mate, what paint did you use for the od?

its a good match for it, and the weathering is very good.

one thing, the jerry cans should be the same colour as the tank, the green is far too bright!

cheers

joe

Thanks Joe, The paint I used was Model Masters enamel OD (ana 613) . And yes I did a boo boo on the Jerry cans, thanks for bringing that to my attention . For the dust weathering I tried somthing different, I used light tan mixed with clear dull coat. Works wonderful! Now I am useing it on my M3 stuart, the mix works great. (and covers up mistakes well!) #:-)

Cheers.

Garry
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 12:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Cheers,

Garry

Try ACs! Try ACs! Try ACs! They're also addictive!

Howdy Shonen_red, Aircraft can be adictive. I built them for years, then went back to my ship building. I still have about 85 planes in my stash. One of these times the bug will bite again, but right now I have just gotten into Armor and now I'm going nuts with that! #:-)

mate!

Garry
mj
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,331 posts
Armorama: 569 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 02:23 PM UTC
Man, that is one good looking tank. I think your finish is spot on. I’m surprised you got that with a basic Model Master color. Your use of light tan / dullcoat is intriguing. Can I ask, what ratio do you use for that? The results are just terrific.

Mike
Spades
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 776 posts
Armorama: 477 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 02:33 PM UTC
Not bad for a first timer....I like it alot,,since that was the first model I built 20years ago, so I naturally like it.
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 02:55 PM UTC
Hello MJ, when I mixed the dull coat wash, I just added a little tan at a time testing as I went . untill I got the results I neaded. Next time I will measure it! But off the top of my head, I would say 10 parts tan to the dull coat. I also used burnt umber mixed with dull coat for the canvas and blast sheild around the 90 mm barrel. I now just about have my Stuart done , useing the same techniques with great results! (I hate oils!) Oh, and thanks bunches for the kind comments!

HTH,

Garry
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 02:59 PM UTC
Howdy Garry,

So you call yourself a 'swabbie' huh? Well, I guess you've earned that title with the great work you've done on your ships........but you are definitely a 'multi-tasker'!
Just stumbled over here. Very good work sir! Overall it looks supremely good. Even though I am frustrated with not having some close-ups (it deserves them), I can still see a few things.........ready?
Your tracks look very good. There is a decernible difference between the pads and the rest of the track, and there is an indication of both metal wear, and dust/dirt build-up....nice.
But. You're getting that rubber band track 'loose' look to it (not your fault). Kind of like centrifigul force is at work there. A little fine-tuning of the proper lay of the tracks from reference photos should do the trick.
Your OD paintjob is superb, as is your light 'road' dusting. However, from the photos it appears that the road dust is on only one side of the drive sprocket. There is also usually a fairly significant difference between the road dust at the front of the vehicle as opposed to the rear. Not sure about the colour of the outer portions of your road wheels. They look kind of 'bluish' in the photographs. Maybe that's the right colour.
Your gerry cans should be a little closer to the colour of the tank itself...but not too close, and certainly not the same 'sheen'. Some light carbon build up around the exhaust outlets is always a good thing. Also, can't determine your 'wear & tear'. The appearance of the areas around the most commonly used portions of the vehicle look a wee bit too uniform from the pics.
But seriously Garry...very nice work! Especially for somebody who builds ships. #:-) #:-)

Tread.

Don't worry Garry....you can get even with me when I build my first modern ship!
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 03:21 PM UTC
I can get even ? No Tread, I see it as valuable advice! That is just the reason I made this post. What better way to learn the ropes, then to get good advice from the experts. Thank you for your kind words and advise!

Garry
SFC_StJohn
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 128 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 03:29 AM UTC
Very nice job. Good paint and detail. Keep it up, I'm looking forward to seeing more...

_GOTOTOP