_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
WW1 experts - feedback needed please!
Cocat2517
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 23 posts
Armorama: 18 posts
Posted: Monday, April 17, 2017 - 01:03 PM UTC
Hi
Just putting together a British mk1 male tank and some German infantry as part of a WW1 diorama. Are there any decent resources/painting guides for British & German infantry of the era that you use. I've found various bits online, but nothing definitive that helps with paint colours etc.

I've uploaded a couple of photos of the work so far. Tank needs a little more weathering (mud etc) and the German troops need boots, hands & faces painting still.

What do you think of the German uniform & equipment colours ive used? Accurate? Or nothing like it should be?

Cheers!
Pete

Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Monday, April 17, 2017 - 07:49 PM UTC
Lots of sources on "Google Image Search". Uniform colors were pretty similar to WWll - Brownish Khaki for British, and Field Grey for Germans. Use Google search for details for specific period.
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Monday, April 17, 2017 - 08:57 PM UTC
http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=395

Above is the set you are using. They are wearing 1914-15 German uniforms with the pickelhaube helmets and pre-war style equipment. They really aren't appropriate to go with a tank. Personally they resemble more 1870 German infantry than 1914.

Early German World War I uniforms were a light to mid green-grey with stone grey trousers and brown leather equipment. By 1915 the uniforms were darker and some were more greenish and leather was blackened. With all the ersatz cloth used German uniforms vary wildly in color but all are variants of a greenish-grey called in German feldgrau.

the Emhar set

http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=81

or Revell set

http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=577

Are more appropriate for posing with a tank.
Cocat2517
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, April 18, 2017 - 12:48 PM UTC
Thanks for the replies. How realistic would it be to convert these early war troops to mid war? If say I sliced off the pickelhaube spike so it looked like a steel helmet and painted more field grey (tunics and some trousers Ive painted Vallejo German feldgrau), blacken the annoying pouches etc?

I assume weapons didn't change much from early to mid war? Did the style of equipment & ammo pouches & tunic design?
Cocat2517
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, April 18, 2017 - 02:02 PM UTC
In fact looking at the Revell figures there's quite a bit of difference, I'll just get a pack of those and shelve these Airfix ines for now.

Thanks!
Johnathan123
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 50 posts
Armorama: 50 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 18, 2017 - 04:15 PM UTC

I own several German and British WW I uniforms. They are right when the colors vary. On the Germans from a gray green/dark green and for the British I would go with more of an olive drab or better yet a dark khaki. An excellent color resource and very accurate book is An Illustrated Encyclopedia of Uniforms of World War I. It can be found at Amazon and Barns and Noble. I am sorry but I could not sent you a link. Good Luck!

Johnathan
Cocat2517
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, April 18, 2017 - 04:50 PM UTC
Thanks! My local library has this book....

I'm going to get it out tomorrow.
 _GOTOTOP