_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: IDF [Israeli Defense Forces]
Armor and AFVs of the IDF army from 1947-today.
Hosted by Darren Baker
AFV Club 1967 Shot Centurion MG Mount
cabasner
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,083 posts
Armorama: 1,014 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 23, 2017 - 08:20 AM UTC
Hi All,

Please excuse the blurry photo, but it gets the point across. I am working on my AFV Club 1967 Shot Centurion tank, and I've run into a bit of a problem with the photo etch .50 cal matching gun mount. As you can see from the instruction picture, the mount looks like it is supposed to have a bunch of 'folds', more than the line on the photo etch part (M2) actually have. In the photo, you can see the 'fold lines' and they don't match what the picture in the instructions show what the part is supposed to look like when complete. I'm thinking just behind the PE part in a much simpler way is the best way to go, but I wanted some opinions. I haven't been able to find photos of this specific area of the real tank, so I'm just going with the instructions, but again, the part doesn't match the folds that would be needed, and the PE part seems too short to be able to make than many folds, anyway.

Does anyone have any ides for me? Thanks!

Das_Abteilung
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 365 posts
Armorama: 351 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 23, 2017 - 06:22 PM UTC
I think the simple answer is a pair of smooth-jaw fine nose pliers and bend it yourself to match the drawing, which seems about the right shape. It looks as if they've missed the fold lines on the inside of the piece.

If this is part of the ranging gun mount over the mantlet, which I believe it is, you might have more success with a Voyager or Legend substitute.

The Voyager Sho't weapon set (PE35634) is very nice, with a complete 0.5 and a pair of 0.3's in resin and etch with mounts and ammo cans. Except that they give you flat 0.3 barrel sleeves to wrap round yourself and add resin muzzles to wire barrels: yuk. Go get RB barrels .....

Legend do 3 sets of ranging gun mounts. I think you'd need LF1128 but without the prominent remote firing gear.

The turret top mount used a pretty standard US cradle, which the part you picture is not. Live Resin is probably the state of the art for that, but there are others. ET Model springs to mind with a complete gun and mount and a mount detailing set
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 23, 2017 - 06:40 PM UTC
Hi Curt,
on the M2 part there are folding lines outside and inside the part. There should be enough of them to help bend the part into the right shape.

Olivier
TigerTiger
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 50 posts
Armorama: 31 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 23, 2017 - 07:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Curt,
on the M2 part there are folding lines outside and inside the part. There should be enough of them to help bend the part into the right shape.

Olivier

As Olivier says, fold lines inside and outside of the part, you can clearly see them in your photo.
cabasner
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,083 posts
Armorama: 1,014 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 08:12 AM UTC
Old thread, but wanted to say that I did find the scribe lines on both sids of the mount part, and was able to bend the mount into the shape that the PE instructions show. Difficult with the small size of the piece, but doable.

Thanks for the advice, many months ago, now!
 _GOTOTOP