_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
News
IBG: Scammel with Trailer
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / España
KitMaker: 1,288 posts
Armorama: 942 posts
Posted: Monday, April 24, 2017 - 12:37 PM UTC

IBG has announced a new version of the Scammell, the Pioneer Tank Transporter with TRMU30 trailer.

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
Das_Abteilung
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 365 posts
Armorama: 351 posts
Posted: Monday, April 24, 2017 - 06:49 PM UTC
Wait 70 years for Recovery & 2 come along at once! IBG played this one close.

I'd still like a look at the Thunder offerings before choosing. There is already chatter about cab shape and size accuracy - or lack of - with the IBG Recovery
falco
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 39 posts
Armorama: 33 posts
Posted: Monday, April 24, 2017 - 08:44 PM UTC
Are thunder models& IBG
Paulinsibculo
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,322 posts
Armorama: 1,239 posts
Posted: Monday, April 24, 2017 - 09:05 PM UTC
There is already chatter about cab shape and size accuracy - or lack of - with the IBG Recovery[/quote]

Peter,

What issues you read/heard about?
The only 'mishap' I see is the fact that the cabin doors are fixed closed and there seems to be some difference in the inside and outside outlines, thus creating the need for strip and bolts for a home made door. But I guess even for beginners very doable.
ziggyfoos
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 199 posts
Armorama: 133 posts
Posted: Monday, April 24, 2017 - 09:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

What issues you read/heard about?

Here's a thread talking about the cab:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/47208/thread/1492966286/last-1493129760/View+Thread
thehermit
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 277 posts
Armorama: 171 posts
Posted: Monday, April 24, 2017 - 10:40 PM UTC
Oh here we go again. Kits are BARELY on the store shelves and EVERYBODY and his dog is dissing the kit for inaccuracies, missing parts, blah, blah, blah. For crissakes you guys, build the damn kit, paint it, put it on the frikkin shelf and MOVE ON...! When it comes down to measuring mm's, compared to the real vehicle, it's time to get a different hobby.

I'm tellin ya, the more forums I read about disgruntled wannabe "experts" to the modelling world, the more I wanna take up crocheting...at least no one complains about the different colours of wool...LOL...!!!
RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 938 posts
Posted: Monday, April 24, 2017 - 11:37 PM UTC
That's your approach, which is great if you are happy with it. It's your hobby after all.

If accuracy of size and shape is of more importance to others, does that make their opinions less valid than yours? Can you not just ignore them if such opinions are of no importance to you?
JavierDeLuelmo
Visit this Community
Spain / España
KitMaker: 189 posts
Armorama: 186 posts
Posted: Monday, April 24, 2017 - 11:43 PM UTC
Think I will patiently wait for the Thunder offering.
grave_digger
Visit this Community
Clare, Ireland
KitMaker: 952 posts
Armorama: 834 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 25, 2017 - 02:39 AM UTC
I have seen and noticed these problems and inaccuracies on my first look at their kit sample in Nuremberg, without being a Scammell expert. Buy this or that - depends if you are a hobby modeler building real subjects scaled down, or just a modeler building something looking familiar to the subject. Everyone´s own taste, right. Lack of major details and terrible flows in accuracy are not my choice though, but somehow rather standard of IBG kits.
Das_Abteilung
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 365 posts
Armorama: 351 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 25, 2017 - 06:55 AM UTC
Yes, that's the discussion I meant. It all got a bit ballistic and does show how wrapped round the axle we can get about these things. I have no idea who is right or wrong in that debate, but things like vertical vs sloping windscreen sides should be obvious.

There's an uncontroversial OOB build blog here on Modeller's Social Club: the Ying and Yang of these things: http://modelerssocialclub.proboards.com/thread/12169/scammell-pioneer-sv2s-ibg-models

Having said this, given a choice between 2 offerings - e.g. IBG and Thunder - where one is known to be noticeably and visibly inaccurate and the other is not, the better one will probably get my money unless the cost difference is large and the "issues" can be fixed without investing in AM parts and/or major surgery. We don't know about the Thunder Scammells yet, which is why I, for one, want to wait and see.

The key for me is "noticeably and visibly": I don't count rivets but the visible impression of shape and size are important. I do have an issue with manufacturers who have access to 1:1 subjects and/or original data, both true with this wagon, and yet still can't scale measurements, angles and radii correctly - especially with modern 3D CAD and rapid prototyping: c'mon guys!
guni-kid
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 521 posts
Armorama: 514 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 25, 2017 - 02:00 PM UTC
Am I wrong or are the tire-patterns wrong on the box art? Wrong meaning pointing into the wrong direction as if the tires are brought on the wrong side of the vehicle?
grave_digger
Visit this Community
Clare, Ireland
KitMaker: 952 posts
Armorama: 834 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 25, 2017 - 03:42 PM UTC
In general tyres were often mounted in wrong direction than recommended in manuals, it should be no problem
ilfil62
Visit this Community
Sofiya, Bulgaria
KitMaker: 158 posts
Armorama: 151 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 26, 2017 - 01:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Am I wrong or are the tire-patterns wrong on the box art? Wrong meaning pointing into the wrong direction as if the tires are brought on the wrong side of the vehicle?

Hi Marian,
In this respect the box art isn't wrong, if you mean the front wheels.
Since the right orientation of the directional tyres on the non-driving axles wasn't that important, they were fitted in reverse to reduce wear. This wasn't field solution but official rule and the tyres were fitted so on factory level.
Here is factory pic of a Pioneer chassis (the tread is a bit different, though) to illustrate this:

Talking about the rear wheels, the box art is theoretically wrong. But here is another factory pic to confirm that there are deviations from every rule:

HTH
Cheers!
guni-kid
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 26, 2017 - 01:55 PM UTC
Alright, thanks for the clarification! Leaves us with some room for "artistic choice" here I take it (at least with the rear wheels).
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 4,342 posts
Armorama: 3,938 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 26, 2017 - 04:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Oh here we go again. Kits are BARELY on the store shelves and EVERYBODY and his dog is dissing the kit for inaccuracies, missing parts, blah, blah, blah. For crissakes you guys, build the damn kit, paint it, put it on the frikkin shelf and MOVE ON...! When it comes down to measuring mm's, compared to the real vehicle, it's time to get a different hobby.

I'm tellin ya, the more forums I read about disgruntled wannabe "experts" to the modelling world, the more I wanna take up crocheting...at least no one complains about the different colours of wool...LOL...!!!

I suggest you actually take up crocheting now. Or just go build your models the way you want and stop frikkin grumbiling about other people discussing models. Believe me, there is a lot of people here who are totally fed up with useless and off-topic posts like yours...
Beastmaster
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 592 posts
Armorama: 588 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 27, 2017 - 11:21 AM UTC
Call me mad but I quite fancy doing a civilian fairground version of these trucks. I remember seeing some fairs/circus's having these as a kid.
vettejack
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,277 posts
Armorama: 1,254 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 27, 2017 - 05:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Yes, that's the discussion I meant. It all got a bit ballistic and does show how wrapped round the axle we can get about these things. I have no idea who is right or wrong in that debate, but things like vertical vs sloping windscreen sides should be obvious.

There's an uncontroversial OOB build blog here on Modeller's Social Club: the Ying and Yang of these things: http://modelerssocialclub.proboards.com/thread/12169/scammell-pioneer-sv2s-ibg-models

Having said this, given a choice between 2 offerings - e.g. IBG and Thunder - where one is known to be noticeably and visibly inaccurate and the other is not, the better one will probably get my money unless the cost difference is large and the "issues" can be fixed without investing in AM parts and/or major surgery. We don't know about the Thunder Scammells yet, which is why I, for one, want to wait and see.

The key for me is "noticeably and visibly": I don't count rivets but the visible impression of shape and size are important. I do have an issue with manufacturers who have access to 1:1 subjects and/or original data, both true with this wagon, and yet still can't scale measurements, angles and radii correctly - especially with modern 3D CAD and rapid prototyping: c'mon guys!

I agree with your assessment when 'noticeability and visibility' renders a kit useless unless major surgery/massive aftermarket products come in to correct the issues. And yes, technology plays a plays a part in manufacturing if the company of course can afford those products and properly/correctly uses them. 3D imaging comes to mind...we used it on the Space Shuttle. There is no excuse for lack of detail today from these large companies by not using 3D, but the "mom and pop" shop still exist and that in itself produces limited detailing, albeit adequate and acceptable to work with, and build. Bottom line...I myself will wait for both releases and then compare and then determine who will win my purchase.
Paulinsibculo
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,322 posts
Armorama: 1,239 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 27, 2017 - 07:16 PM UTC
Having contacted the IBG staff via their Facebook account ( they do reply very quick and not just with standard answers but realy about matters you asked about) and they confirm to have used a real Scammell as a reference....
So, I guess that only photos of their reference might straighten things out!
We should be happy any way that IBG picks up UK softskins for affordable prices.

Now, back to the Pioneer version:
There are two cables: one to lift, but what about the other one?
Where is it attached and what is it for?
I guess a REME member can help.

Thanks in advance
Taeuss
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Armorama: 3,778 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 27, 2017 - 11:08 PM UTC
I guess that I'm easy to please as I was just happy that anyone offered this vehicle at long last. Figure its a good place to start if its not perfect.
MarshalMannerheim
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 11 posts
Armorama: 11 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 07, 2017 - 12:18 PM UTC
I think Vodnik is right with the comments about crocheting and guni-kid, if the left wheels are moved to the right then the tyre direction is reversed, derrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!
guni-kid
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 07, 2017 - 12:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I think Vodnik is right with the comments about crocheting and guni-kid, if the left wheels are moved to the right then the tyre direction is reversed, derrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!

_GOTOTOP