_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Custom Micron, or not?
TopSmith
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,742 posts
Armorama: 1,658 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 03, 2017 - 08:22 AM UTC
I have a Hi-Line Plus. If I got a .2 nozzle and needle for it, would
I get the same performance as I would with a Custom Micron? Am I just massaging my ego to get a Micron?
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 03, 2017 - 09:09 AM UTC
You get what you pay for.
flippen_waffles
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 143 posts
Armorama: 116 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 03, 2017 - 10:14 AM UTC
You would also have to change out the fluid nozzle and the needle packing. It can be done. I have converted one of my airbrushes from a .3 down to a .2 by changing out the needles and the parts listed above.
TopSmith
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 05:16 PM UTC
I was wondering if there would be a noticeable difference in the quality of the paint job between the two? I was courious if someone has tried the comparison.
AgentG
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
Armorama: 1,095 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 08:16 PM UTC
The quality of the paint job is up to you. The tool is only as good as the person using it.

G
Belt_Fed
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,325 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 04, 2017 - 09:49 PM UTC
To be honest, I have never been in a situation where I needed anything finer than a .2mm tip from my airbrush. Unless you are doing 1:72 scale German armor or also do aircraft where you need fine control, The CM does not have much application in a 1:35 armor modelling setting. You can get those effects with other techniques.
TopSmith
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, May 05, 2017 - 01:43 AM UTC
That was my impression. A .2 nozzle/needle is a cheap investment in comparison. I haven't used a Micron before. I hear wonderful things but... there may be a better way to skin a cat.
PRH001
Visit this Community
New Mexico, United States
KitMaker: 681 posts
Armorama: 603 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 06, 2017 - 08:30 PM UTC
To be honest, comparing a Micron to a High-Line with a .2 mm nozzle is a large stretch. The construction of the Micron head is different and results in much better paint atomization. Additionally, the geometry of the Micron results in more precise control. If you thin your paints well and spray at low pressures where the High-Line can't, the Micron can do things the other brush can't achieve.

The closest production brush to the Micron right now is the .15mm tip H&S Infinity. It doesn't atomize quite as well as the Micron, but it is precise, easy to clean and is still a very fine brush.

A .2mm nozzle, needle and air cap will increase your potential resolution for some types of finishes, but the brush will be more critical of thinning.

Don't know if you'll find this helpful, but that's my 2 cents.

Paul H
 _GOTOTOP