_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Leningrad lethiathan - Tiger 1, Pz III ausf n
Afroman
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 152 posts
Armorama: 137 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 09, 2017 - 01:07 AM UTC
Hi all,

Recently started this new diorama, The setting is Leningrad during it's siege (It's a semi what-if setting - as has no basing photograph) ~ The only photos I have taken so far are of the Tiger 1's progress, I have only just recieved the Friuls in the mail.... so have those to keep me busy as well as a fully cobbled street and factory made out of plasterboard. (It's going to be a long build, theres no doubt about that)

Anyway Enjoy....

As you can see I'm not the best photograher on the Planet, I have alot to learn.
johhar
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 476 posts
Armorama: 447 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 09, 2017 - 02:17 AM UTC
Good enough for me to tell that's a good looking Tiger.
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 09, 2017 - 06:26 PM UTC
YES!! That is one good looking early cat.
J
Afroman
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, May 09, 2017 - 10:46 PM UTC
Hi gents,

Thanks for the kind words, Following are some pictures of the progress on the diorama and vast amount of scribing that is left to do. Unfortunetly I seem to have the wrists of an 80 year old as I can only do about 2-5 seconds of scribing until my wrist is in agony ~ maybe something I should book a trip to the doctor about...

anyway Enjoy...

The gateway at the back of the factory that the tiger will have to knock through (A gate is yet to be scratchbuilt and added. as is some barbed wire above the fencing)

The Progress on the Barbed wire using the old soldering technique.

The Right side of the Factory showing an out going electrical tube and possible banner.

A close up view of the bricks scribed infront of the banner piece.

Thanks for looking ~ alot of work left to be done.
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, May 09, 2017 - 11:50 PM UTC
Sounds like you have carpel tunnel syndrome.
J
Afroman
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, May 10, 2017 - 12:17 AM UTC
I had considered that unfortunately, as I have worked with computers almost my entire life now. Oh well doctors appointment booked up.
trickymissfit
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,357 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 11, 2017 - 07:50 AM UTC
Ollie;

Your Tiger is very nice. Yet after reading Tigers In The Mud, you soon learned that three tigers worked together without any other tanks close by. Seems like there was a fourth held back incase something went wrong. You might have seen a 251 half track or even a truck bringing food and ammo, but not involved in day to day combat. By the way the book is a good read.

gary
GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
Armorama: 2,248 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 11, 2017 - 10:58 AM UTC
Great looking Tiger!
Forearm tightness and micro-knots can also lead to wrist troubles. Get your missus to knead the hell outta your arms. If it hurts when she does it, that may be a clue to where the trouble lies.
Afroman
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, May 11, 2017 - 05:29 PM UTC
Hi gents, Thanks for the replies (no Pictorial updates as of yet);

On the arm/wrist situation, I haven't seen a doctor yet but I've heard about making tools 'wider' to make them easier to hold ~ so after doing this I quickly wrapped my scriber in Masking tape (If it's stupid but works, it's not stupid) and boom no more wrist pain (I'm yet to see a doctor as my appointment is for a few weeks yet) - with this I managed to finish all the horizontal scribing, just the bricks to do.

now onto the diorama, Gary it's interesting you say that ~ I have used this photo as reference:

again the diorama is a semi 'what-if' build, The pz 3 will also not feature winterketten.

Thanks for looking,

I should be able to post a picture update tommorrow
trickymissfit
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,357 posts
Posted: Friday, May 12, 2017 - 06:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi gents, Thanks for the replies (no Pictorial updates as of yet);

On the arm/wrist situation, I haven't seen a doctor yet but I've heard about making tools 'wider' to make them easier to hold ~ so after doing this I quickly wrapped my scriber in Masking tape (If it's stupid but works, it's not stupid) and boom no more wrist pain (I'm yet to see a doctor as my appointment is for a few weeks yet) - with this I managed to finish all the horizontal scribing, just the bricks to do.

now onto the diorama, Gary it's interesting you say that ~ I have used this photo as reference:

again the diorama is a semi 'what-if' build, The pz 3 will also not feature winterketten.

Thanks for looking,

I should be able to post a picture update tommorrow

The idea of Tigers working in groups of three came directly out of Carrius's book. He went so far as to say they did not work with other tanks or assault guns. Plus he was on the Leningrad Front. The photo could well have came from the rear area, or when they were making a move. Read the book, as it's a good read.
gary
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, May 12, 2017 - 06:11 PM UTC
The early Tiger Bn TO&E called for a mix of PzVI and PzIII in each company. By the time that Kursk came around there had dropped the light platoons and went with pure Tiger Bns with the command group and three full companies.
At the beginning of the full Tiger Bn era though,most higher commanders divided the companies among separate Panzer Divisions and used them as spearhead units,in direct contravention to Guderians' orders and concepts of employment.
J
Afroman
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, May 13, 2017 - 02:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The early Tiger Bn TO&E called for a mix of PzVI and PzIII in each company. By the time that Kursk came around there had dropped the light platoons and went with pure Tiger Bns with the command group and three full companies.
At the beginning of the full Tiger Bn era though,most higher commanders divided the companies among separate Panzer Divisions and used them as spearhead units,in direct contravention to Guderians' orders and concepts of employment.
J

Going to quote this as all the evidence I have seen/been presented with points to this. Wheather this tiger and pz iii in the photo are hanging back out of combat still stands, maybe this diorama will show them pushing up to help the other parts of the battalion (They both have 502 markings so they must have both served ~ Evidence in the photo ~ Wikipedia (Sources I know) says that the 502 had pz iii's and Tigers serve together early in the war).

Anyhow my Camera has decided to play up, so I will try again tommorrow, alot of progress though.
11Bravo_C2
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 475 posts
Armorama: 394 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 17, 2017 - 06:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Sounds like you have carpel tunnel syndrome.
J

I agree, or perhaps another type of ergonomic injury like tendinitis.

Nice work on the kitty
Dioramartin
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,476 posts
Armorama: 1,463 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 18, 2017 - 08:50 AM UTC
First impressions count and your first pics sure made me sit up & delete an expletive. Niiiice, stick to your guns & refs, looking forward to progress
Afroman
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, May 19, 2017 - 02:22 AM UTC
Well guys back at it, Haven't got much done as of yet but trying to get this off the bench now (Getting abit sick of scribing haha).

Anyway on to the meat and taters';

Wooden doors on the front of the factory ; They have a chain added now tying them closed.

The overall diorama layout (Excuse the mess) ~ The Straw pipeline is temporary, not super happy about it will be working on it for sure...

The side of the factory (note the brass hangover is missing ~ I removed it as it was getting in the way working on the road below - It will be re-added)

Still to do ~ alot of scribing, barbed wire... etc..

Thanks for watching
 _GOTOTOP