_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: IDF [Israeli Defense Forces]
Armor and AFVs of the IDF army from 1947-today.
Hosted by Darren Baker
IDF 'Droids'
philhendry
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 57 posts
Armorama: 56 posts
Posted: Friday, May 12, 2017 - 11:38 AM UTC
So-called 'Droids' on modern IDF armour... Obviously, I'd like to know what they do and how they work, but everything I've read suggests that, unsurprisingly, the Israelis are keeping that info under wraps - and I don't blame them. I'm fairly sure they're a different system from the 'Trophy' active defence system. I assume, from the look of the thing and its positioning, that the Droid is the 'visible' component of some sort of 360° warning/surveillance system.

Leaving all that speculation aside, there are conversion sets aplenty available from the likes of Legend and E.T. Model. I have seen a few photos of vehicles carrying them - an Achzarit, a Merkava 2D, a Merkava 4, a Nagmachon 'Doghouse'. What other vehicles carry them? And are there photos anywhere on the www - either they are really rare, or my Google-fu has failed me?

They're a really cool object, but I don't want to fit one to a model and then find I shouldn't have!

Thanks,
Phil
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Friday, May 12, 2017 - 10:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

What other vehicles carry them?

A Puma ?

H.P.
knewton
Visit this Community
New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,217 posts
Armorama: 1,092 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 13, 2017 - 12:57 AM UTC
A Puma with Thor, and ECM mast. Great looking vehicle. Is the large metal cabinet on the left rear side more electronics? It does have cooling vents from another angle.
philhendry
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, May 13, 2017 - 03:19 AM UTC
That's a pretty cool looking beast! Thanks!
ReluctantRenegade
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 2,408 posts
Armorama: 2,300 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 13, 2017 - 03:33 PM UTC
Droid equipped Nakpadon: https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/251965&page=3

I'm pretty sure some D9's have them too...

philhendry
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, May 13, 2017 - 07:51 PM UTC
Thanks! The Nakpadon is one of the ugliest/coolest vehicles I've ever seen. More so for having a droid!
ReluctantRenegade
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Saturday, May 13, 2017 - 08:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks! The Nakpadon is one of the ugliest/coolest vehicles I've ever seen. More so for having a droid!

I had the chance more than once to have a closer look at them. We were always impressed how well protected they are.
ReluctantRenegade
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Saturday, May 13, 2017 - 08:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

A Puma with Thor, and ECM mast. Great looking vehicle. Is the large metal cabinet on the left rear side more electronics? It does have cooling vents from another angle.

Definitely looks like (a part of) some kind of ECM device...

Das_Abteilung
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 365 posts
Armorama: 351 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 14, 2017 - 03:35 AM UTC
At a guess, it's the APU power supply for the Thor. The box on the fender I mean. There are vents at the front and what looks like exhaust soot stains at the back.

Unless I'm much mistaken (which I frequently am!!), Thor is a laser device for dealing with suspected IEDs. If so, a fair amount of electrical power is going to be needed. More than the standard vehicle generator can provide. I imagine the red light on top is a "laser active" warning. I have a sneaking suspicion it won't be eye (or skin/bone/muscle/organ) safe!

This thread was also initially posted over on Britmodeller. The Droid is believed to be a laser dazzle device to disorient IR and laser homing missiles so they cannot lock on, track and home.
 _GOTOTOP