_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Wespe Questions
MattR
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 09:43 AM UTC
Hello Gentlemen -

I'm currently building Tamiya's 1/35 Wespe. It will be the first one I've attempted in a year. It is a marvelous kit, with no flash and mold lines, if you can find them, are almost insignificant. I am really enjoying this kit.

However, I've got a few questions.
1. I want to model this as a vehicle from the 1st SS LAH in Normandy. However, internet searches turn up little. The best I get is orders of battle, but they don't provide any insignia for the specific artillery battalions.
2. I've seen photos of Wespes with a top-mounted MG-42 or 34. I have an unused MG-42 with AA mount from the Mobelwagen kit, and am thinking about using it. Does anyone know what the mount looked like, was it a simple pole or was it on a crane-like mount, like the SdKfz-251?
3. The rubber tracks that came with the kit are badly warped. Are there any good aftermarket tracks that won't break my bank? If not, is Tamiya good at providing replacement parts?

These may seem like newbie questions, but that's because they are

Thanks in adance,
Matt Reeves.
Petro
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 984 posts
Armorama: 846 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 11:12 AM UTC
Well, these are some tough questions.
1: I will look up for you through my references for any insignia dealing with this weapon. I am sure the 1st SS PZ Corp insignia would definitely be used. As for tactical markings, that will be a little tougher.

2: I don't believe i have ever seen any photos of a Wespe with a Mg34/42 mounted . But again, i will see what i can find.

3: I have never dealt with ordering replacement parts from Tamiya. I would've thought they wouldn't do something like that. But, i see they have a price list in their directions(from thier Mobelwagon) for spares.

As for aftermarket tracks, most here will tell you to go with Fruils. I have not done link to link tracks yet.
jrnelson
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 719 posts
Armorama: 566 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 11:25 AM UTC
Matt-

The Wespe would have had the 1st SS division symbol for sure - tactical markings were less and less common as the war progressed, so you could get by without one if you wanted to. This link will show you what the artillery tactical symbols looked like.
http://www.panzerdiesel.com/data/e/2tbii03.html?PHPSESSID=c850b0b25548e1062b8125160afd8699

When the MG was mounted - It used an "arm" similar to the one on the Nashorn and the 251 series of half tracks. This picture shows how they were mounted.

I am going to use Modelkasten tracks on mine - you are welcome to have the kit tracks from mine. PM me your address and I'll send them out to you.

Later-
Jeff
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Monday, March 01, 2004 - 04:54 PM UTC
jrnelson;
Is that a four-man crew in the fighting compartment? I count three and something that looks like the top of a fouth hat, just to the right of the MG. Does this mean there are two men to handle the separate ammo? I have a Wespe but haven't researched it yet, so I don't know if it has a 4 or 5 man crew (including driver).
jrnelson
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 719 posts
Armorama: 566 posts
Posted: Monday, March 01, 2004 - 07:07 PM UTC
Biggies-

The Wespe operated with a five man crew. The driver, commander, gunner, loader, and another loader/radio operator.

Hope that helps a bit :-)

Later-
Jeff
 _GOTOTOP