_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
M-26 Dragon Wagon question
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 21, 2017 - 08:22 PM UTC
In the case of winching up a Panther tank (or heavier) onto the flatbed,such as this: http://www.missing-lynx.com/articles/usa/amtdw/dw-3.jpg would they use both winch drums to pull the tank? If so, would they criss-cross the cables to opposite side tow rings on the tank?
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, May 23, 2017 - 08:55 PM UTC
Bump...no suggestions? Or is my question too vague?
namengr
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 332 posts
Armorama: 328 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 23, 2017 - 09:21 PM UTC
While I can't say for sure, I would assume that they would use both winches to ease the strain of using just one. As far as crossing the cables, this would cause them to rub against each other which wouldn't be good. If anything they might run tow cables from each corner to a center point, possibly a clevis, and pull that way. Again, just my opinion, but I've worked around heavy equipment most of my life and these methods would make the most sense. Wayne
berwickj
Visit this Community
Fyn, Denmark
KitMaker: 352 posts
Armorama: 342 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 23, 2017 - 11:54 PM UTC
Maybe like this, as Wayne wrote, just with both winches hooked up, and the A-Frame down, of course.

John
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,866 posts
Armorama: 1,808 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 24, 2017 - 12:18 AM UTC
There is series pictures of a Panther being towed by an M26 using a single cable. It is unlikely both winches would be used at the same time. It would be easier to block and tackle one cable then to try and pull using 2 cables.

The M26 was rated for 80,000 pounds, which from what I heard from some WWII tank recovery people, was really half of what the tractor was capable of (under ideal conditions probably). Since a Panther was a little over 40 tons the M25 (the designation for the truck and trailer) was fully capable of handling the Panther.

One of the specials on WWII German armor had a short clip of a Panther being unloaded from the M25 at Aberdeen.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, May 24, 2017 - 04:03 AM UTC
Hmmm...thanks for the info. Looks promising.
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 24, 2017 - 04:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hmmm...thanks for the info. Looks promising.

I googled "M26 towing Panther" looking for the M26 pulling the Panther and came up with some interesting pictures.

One picture is of a JagdTiger loaded on the trailer. I went back looking for it and ended up searching for "M26 towing JagdTiger. It looks like the one at with the damaged mantlet.
namengr
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 332 posts
Armorama: 328 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 24, 2017 - 04:33 AM UTC
Many factors would come into play in the recovery, loading, such as if it was locked up, missing running gear, etc. How you want to do your set up will make differences. Wayne
Sleepwalker71
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 265 posts
Armorama: 186 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 24, 2017 - 05:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

There is series pictures of a Panther being towed by an M26 using a single cable. It is unlikely both winches would be used at the same time. It would be easier to block and tackle one cable then to try and pull using 2 cables.

The M26 was rated for 80,000 pounds, which from what I heard from some WWII tank recovery people, was really half of what the tractor was capable of (under ideal conditions probably). Since a Panther was a little over 40 tons the M25 (the designation for the truck and trailer) was fully capable of handling the Panther.

One of the specials on WWII German armor had a short clip of a Panther being unloaded from the M25 at Aberdeen.

Note that for towing Panther had its tracks removed, making road wheels rolling freely (not mentioning reduced weight).
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 24, 2017 - 05:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Note that for towing Panther had its tracks removed, making road wheels rolling freely (not mentioning reduced weight).

Yes, I forgot about that. The Panther unloaded at Aberdeen had the tracks installed. I believe it was driven off under its own power and later used in test trials.
 _GOTOTOP