_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Talk
Site announcements, comments, or feedback about the site.
Site running sluggish?
ClaytonFromEllijay
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 1,273 posts
Armorama: 1,138 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 27, 2017 - 07:18 PM UTC
Is it just me, or is Armorama running sluggish the last couple days, very slow loading, etc...my DSL seems to be 100% everywhere else...
69mudbone
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 362 posts
Armorama: 285 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 27, 2017 - 08:08 PM UTC
I have noticed it over the last several weeks
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 27, 2017 - 08:20 PM UTC
No problems using my phone.
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 04, 2017 - 03:09 AM UTC
It could be due to the selection of advertisements that turn up on the right side of the screen. On the left it is always (or very nearly always) something modelling related. On top it is also modelling but the rigth side seems to depend on what you have been googling lately.
I have experienced periods when it was completely hopeless but lately it has been running smooth. Right now I have been getting lots of ads about renting apartments (caused by some googling) and this very moment it is an ad for subscribed food deliveries (you subscribe and they deliver boxes to your door with selected content and the recipes to go with it). Can't figure out why google thinks that I am interested but it's probably one of the deep mysteries of the universe.

Usage of pop-up blockers or similar can also delay things, the web-page is waiting for something that will never turn up. Hitting refresh/reload can sometimes break the deadlock by spinning the lottery wheel again.
/ Robin
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,517 posts
Armorama: 1,109 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 04, 2017 - 03:25 AM UTC
Even for me is a week that gets slower, armormorama more than others, and I've never had ads on the right side of the screen, I think it's all slower since I did the last 2 updates of Windows 10
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Monday, June 05, 2017 - 01:49 AM UTC
Windows 10 has a default setting to use your computer as a distribution point when others upgrade. There are benefits and drawbacks to this. Unresponsiveness can be one of them.
There is also the indexing process, for windows search, which can consume a lot of CPU periodically, especially after upgrades when it is trying to index all the new exe-files (the program code ...)
/ Robin
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Armorama: 2,052 posts
Posted: Monday, June 05, 2017 - 02:15 AM UTC
I don't have the slowing problems others have when I use my IPhone or IPad, but when I use my desktop, which has Windows 10, I too notice it's slower-- but since my daughter uploaded Windows 10 a year ago or so, I notice everything seems to run slower than it did before-- I thought those upgrades were supposed to fix that.
VR, Russ
Mrclark7
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 503 posts
Armorama: 477 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 23, 2017 - 02:43 AM UTC
for me its hit and miss. And well over 50% of the time I visit it freezes my browser and I have to reboot my computer.

8/10 times when I visit the campaign area threads.
11Bravo_C2
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 475 posts
Armorama: 394 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 23, 2017 - 04:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

for me its hit and miss. And well over 50% of the time I visit it freezes my browser and I have to reboot my computer.

Are you saying that you computer only crashes when you come to this site, specifically the Campaign sub-forum? That is totally weird. Have you tried with a different web browser?

Internet Explorer, Safari, Chrome, Firefox, Opera, etc...

WXerock
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 672 posts
Armorama: 668 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 23, 2017 - 07:13 AM UTC
I browse the site on my Kindle Fire which uses a browser called Silk. The site locks up Silk every time I visit at some point. I can always back out but it is extremely annoying. I've never had it happen at work on our Windows 7 machines or at home in my Windows 10 machines. I do all of my uploads from home and haven't had any issues. Right now I'm on my Fire and will have an issue soon.

Regards,

Eric
Scarred
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,792 posts
Armorama: 1,186 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 23, 2017 - 07:49 AM UTC
Go to google settings disable and opt out of ALL goolge analytics. This stops most of the directed advertising that slows down browsers. Windows 10 uses YOUR bandwidth to update other peoples computers. This slows down your internet while Microsoft uses your bandwidth that you are paying for to spread their updates. In other words they are stealing your internet. Not fair for folks with limited bandwidth or caps. Disabling it is difficult, on purpose of course, but you should do it. I'm not using my limited internet to do Microsoft's job unless they want to pay me for it. Easiest way to do it: https://www.howtogeek.com/224981/how-to-stop-windows-10-from-uploading-updates-to-other-pcs-over-the-internet/

Also, if your internet provider is using your equipment as a hotspot for others to leech your bandwidth then you should disable it. They claim that the bandwidth used is negligible but when I had hot spot enabled on my router my internet was down to almost dialup speeds because everyone was leeching off it. So I disabled it and got my speed back. I'm greedy. I'm paying for high speed so I want what I'm paying for. Taking my bandwidth to provide service to others with out compensating me is theft.
11Bravo_C2
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 475 posts
Armorama: 394 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 23, 2017 - 08:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Go to google settings disable and opt out of ALL goolge analytics. This stops most of the directed advertising that slows down browsers. Windows 10 uses YOUR bandwidth to update other peoples computers. This slows down your internet while Microsoft uses your bandwidth that you are paying for to spread their updates. In other words they are stealing your internet. Not fair for folks with limited bandwidth or caps. Disabling it is difficult, on purpose of course, but you should do it. I'm not using my limited internet to do Microsoft's job unless they want to pay me for it. Easiest way to do it: https://www.howtogeek.com/224981/how-to-stop-windows-10-from-uploading-updates-to-other-pcs-over-the-internet/

Also, if your internet provider is using your equipment as a hotspot for others to leech your bandwidth then you should disable it. They claim that the bandwidth used is negligible but when I had hot spot enabled on my router my internet was down to almost dialup speeds because everyone was leeching off it. So I disabled it and got my speed back. I'm greedy. I'm paying for high speed so I want what I'm paying for. Taking my bandwidth to provide service to others with out compensating me is theft.

All good points, Patrick. I disabled Windows 10 P2P as soon as I installed it, also disabled a bunch of Win 10 telemetry gathering services.

Scarred
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, July 23, 2017 - 08:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

All good points, Patrick. I disabled Windows 10 P2P as soon as I installed it, also disabled a bunch of Win 10 telemetry gathering services.

Yeah, forgot about all that other stuff. It's all really just spyware for ad companies but it can kill your performance and unless you're a geek most people don't know about it and complain about how slow their computers are.
Scarred
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, July 23, 2017 - 09:26 AM UTC
With all these things turned off google doesn't know that I'm an english speaker so right now I've got two ads in spanish on the right side of my screen. Doesn't bother me and this site doesn't have any lag at all.
Mrclark7
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 503 posts
Armorama: 477 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 23, 2017 - 10:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Are you saying that you computer only crashes when you come to this site, specifically the Campaign sub-forum? That is totally weird. Have you tried with a different web browser?

Internet Explorer, Safari, Chrome, Firefox, Opera, etc...

yes, ONLY when I come to this site. I might try about 20 times a day, and this is because over half the time it locks up. I am using firefox and all my tabs lock up. I usually bounce around five different tabs at a time.

But, funny thing, it hasnt done it since my posting earlier today.

I am using windows 10.

I will try doing the above mentioned things later.
 _GOTOTOP