_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
In-need of scaled measurements
Yari
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 78 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, February 27, 2004 - 02:27 PM UTC
slodder correctly noted that the measurement on my wall's thickness was innacurate.
So I may not do the same error I need scale measurements of European building walls(thickness), doors (H x W), and windows (H x W)
I used a 1mm balsa sheet for my door, H= 5.5cm W=2.5 cm. Comments on these pls..

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/photos/showphoto.php?photo=18513&password=&sort=8&size=medium&cat=500&page=1
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Friday, February 27, 2004 - 02:51 PM UTC
I know that Eagle and Faust and an entire crew went to visit and photograph a number of locations involved in Operation Market Garden.
I'm sure they will have some reference photos and can even measure thier own homes too.

If you want you can do a bit of estimation on some of these buildings in this gallery
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/photos/showgallery.php?cat=626&password=
Yari
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Friday, February 27, 2004 - 03:59 PM UTC
I was able to download some of Eagle's photos weeks ago. The measurement for my door was also based on his cellar door photo. He used a different material though.
From visual estimates on some posts it seems that walls are 1.5 cm to 2 cm thick basing its scale to that of a 1:35 figure near it.

Thanks once again
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 28, 2004 - 12:32 AM UTC
Yari - I was just thinking about this for a bit and offer
1. Use yourself as a guide, stand in a door and compare the distance you have to a figure in a model door.
2. When you measure a door opening don't forget to take into consideration that you may be adding in a door frame effectivly reducing the inside opening by the thickness of the frame. Same on windows, plus add in a window pane frame.
3. You can adjust for visual appeal, artistic license so to speak. Unless you're reproducing an exact replica of a certain building you can make your own decisions on size and what looks best.
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 4,082 posts
Armorama: 1,993 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 28, 2004 - 01:47 AM UTC
Yari,

I'm very limited in my time right now, but I'll tune in later and get back to all of your questions. A little more patience please
Yari
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 28, 2004 - 02:41 AM UTC
Thanks very much for your help!

I'm in no hurry either. Let's keep it fun
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 4,082 posts
Armorama: 1,993 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 28, 2004 - 07:26 AM UTC
Well, here I am again with a bit more time to spend.

Dutch outside walls are at least the width of a brick and that is 5 cm. Most of the time our walls are the length of a brick + the width of a brick = 20cm + 5cm thick, because we are used to building outside walls with bricks. Modern houses have two brick walls, one on the inside and one on the outside of the house. In between is the insulation material like glasswool, rockwool etc.

Older houses tend to have only one, thicker wall. The picure shows what I try to say.

When you build a WWII Dutch house, it is safe to calculate with a wall that is about 15 - 20 cm thick.

Doors these days are 210 cm (height) x 90 cm (width) x 5 cm(thick). Older doors are a bit higher (220 cm), but there width and thickness is almost the same.

Windows come in very different sizes, varying from very large to very small. The only way to calculate their size, is to compare a window on a picture with a figure on that picture. Too many different sizes to give standard measures.

The door I made, was 1mm sheet and the panels are made of 0.5 mm sheet. In total that is 1.5mm. You can easily do this with two layers of balsa and then sand off the excess.

I hope this answered some of you questions. If there are more questions to be answered, then just let me know.
ArtistaSLO
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 56 posts
Armorama: 46 posts
Posted: Monday, March 22, 2004 - 03:03 AM UTC
Here is a scale chart that I made up..maybe it will help https://gallery.kitmaker.net/data/500/4176Conversion_Chart.jpg
IanSadler
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 324 posts
Posted: Monday, March 22, 2004 - 07:29 AM UTC
hi you have loads of problems to contend with , not all door ways and windows are to the same dimentions , they alter with the passage of time as each century has different style as well as sizes , victorian are different to georgian in style and size , also not each country has the same and in england it can be down to county level for style and size , this is very clear in the type and size and form of tiles or slates on roofs , also how the walls are bonded together , not only that but do they have cellars at below ground level or are they raised cellars with the ground floor raised , you can see this with a very small window at ground level in some photographs , are doors flush with the outside walls or set back and how many steps , you need to study very carefully not only style but the period and the country you are setting the diorama in . best advice i was given was alaways use period photographs and then no one can say your are wrong , best of luck cheers ian
 _GOTOTOP