Hosted by Darren Baker
Airfix 'Saladin Armoured Car' ...
pbennett
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 464 posts
Armorama: 412 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 04, 2017 - 04:01 AM UTC
I have the Airfix (ex JB Models) kit of the Saladin, and wonder whether the main gun barrel shape is correct. It clearly shows a wider section around the muzzle, though this does not appear in any of my reference images. Perhaps it is intended to represent the protective cover around the muzzle, or simply an error with the kit's design ... any suggestions?
SprueFarmer
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 42 posts
Armorama: 36 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 04, 2017 - 09:28 AM UTC
Going by what I could find on the WWW, it looks like the gun tube should be straight without an increase in diameter.
TankManNick
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 551 posts
Armorama: 543 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 04, 2017 - 10:54 AM UTC
Probably copied from the Tamiya kit
pbennett
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 464 posts
Armorama: 412 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 04, 2017 - 03:28 PM UTC
Just as I thought ... I can find no evidence of such a shape around the muzzle. The kit is noticeably simplified in terms of detail, but with some refinements it has the potential for a really good model. In fact, this is true of all the kits from the old JB Models range.
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,847 posts
Armorama: 2,667 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 04, 2017 - 08:48 PM UTC
@Paul,

Amusingly if you look at the boxtops of either the Airfix or JB Models box, as with the real vehicle the end of the muzzle's diameter does not increase. Interestingly the picture on the back of the JB Models box does show the increased size at the barrels' end. I would surmise that the guess about it being a muzzle cover in place is quite plausible.

Cheers,
Jan
 _GOTOTOP