_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas: Vietnam
For Vietnam diorama subjects or techniques.
Hosted by Darren Baker
"Corpsman Up!" Hue City, Vietnam 1968
ReconTL3-1
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 726 posts
Armorama: 687 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 04, 2017 - 04:38 AM UTC
I just completed this vignette about an hour ago. On 24 May 2017 I decided that I wanted to have something else to bring to the Tulsa Figure Show on 3 June. Unfortunately, something came up that prevented me from attending that show, but I was able to complete this for Soonercon 2017 which is on 10 June.

I was sitting at my workbench thinking of what else I could build fairly quick and my eyes fell on some Bravo 6 figures of Marines. I did not want to build the figures exactly as they were intended as I very rarely do that, but I did not want to do major conversions that I normally do due to the short period of time I had available to get the project completed in time for the show. I wanted to show some Marines calling for a Corpsman. My original thought was that I was going to have the wounded Marine being held by the kneeling Marine while the standing Marine was providing cover fire.

I then refined the idea to the wounded Marine being dragged to relative safety and the two other Marines to be calling for a Corpsman. I needed to figure out what kind of structure was going to be used for cover, so I looked through my various kits and found a wall section from Callsign Miniatures which worked just right. I had to create my own debris and rubble.

This is how it turned out. Note the shrapnel wounds in the wounded Marine's right leg, a superficial chest wound from a fragment that penetrated his flak jacket, and the scratch on his cheek. The kneeling Marine has a scraped knee and some cuts on his lower leg, but they are hard to see in these photos. His helmet cover is faded and he has a pack of cigarettes, pack of matches, bottle of insect repellant, and pack of c-ration toilet paper in the black rubber helmet band. There is also some writing on the cover that is faded as well. His boots are scuffed up from use. The standing Marine has TEX written across teh front of his helmet cover. There are some empty magazines strewn about the ground as this had once been the location of an engagement with the NVA but is now behind the Allied lines. There are also shell casings spread about. To the right of the wounded Marine, you can see where someone had fired off a magazine on full auto. There had been a dropped magazine in that area prior to that and a shell casing is laying on top of that mag.

This vignette was fun to build, depicted an important event of Marine Corps history, and went together pretty quick.

Cheers,
James
Stickframe
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,661 posts
Armorama: 1,202 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 04, 2017 - 04:50 AM UTC
Hi James,

I always enjoy seeing your projects - and you've come through again - remarkably expressive, cogent and clear piece of work. Looks great - thanks for posting the variety of pics - really nice. Thanks also for including a few process images too - very helpful to see -

Cheers
Nick
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 04, 2017 - 04:57 AM UTC
You are the master of small details! I always enjoy the genre you've chosen and the way you portray its stories.

Outstanding work! 🍺🍺🍺
—mike
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 04, 2017 - 05:07 AM UTC
YES !!! Very very cool. You don't see enough of the cost of war in most dios and vignettes. This is super well done and so believable. NICE ! As usual,
J
ReconTL3-1
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, June 05, 2017 - 02:06 AM UTC
Thanks Nick, Mike and Jerry.

Two things made this project work out well in regards to models/figures. One is that Bravo 6 figures are so well sculpted, posed, and detailed it makes them easier to paint for me. The other is that Hornet heads are outstanding in conveying expression. It was just a matter of choosing the right figures, a few arms that were different from the original figures, and finding heads with the expressions that fit the scene and story.

Since I am limited on room to display my work at home, I will probably be doing more of these smaller scenes rather than the larger dioramas.

Take care and have a great day.
James
Klaus-Adler
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,505 posts
Armorama: 840 posts
Posted: Monday, June 05, 2017 - 05:29 AM UTC
Excellent work you've done there
PolishBrigade12
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 380 posts
Armorama: 366 posts
Posted: Monday, June 05, 2017 - 06:20 AM UTC
James, ya Bloomin Bugger, what a cool vignette Bro. Now that is what I call workin on the fly. Excellent imagination and detail, spot on Brotha! Ruck On!

Cheers, Ski.

P.S. You retired guys are killin me, as in "Ya killin me Smalls, ya killin me." Bahahhaaaaaaaaaa!
ReconTL3-1
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 06, 2017 - 04:47 AM UTC
Thanks, Dave and Ski!

Ski,
Being retired is pretty nice most of the time now that I don't have to wake up at the butt crack of dawn. I have to admit that I do miss alot from the military, especially the guys I served with and some of the cool things I was able to do during the past 28 years.

You know, this is the first Marine themed project I have ever done. I figured it was about time as my fellow Marines who know that I make models were giving me crap about it.

Cheers,
James
ReconTL3-1
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 10, 2017 - 11:18 PM UTC
It is a good thing I decided to throw this vignette together. It ended up winning 1st place diorama as well as the award for this year's show theme of being the best Vietnam subject. Wow!

It is funny. It seems like I do better at shows with works that I put together at the last minute or with left over figures than I do with those I plan carefully and work a long time on.

Cheers,
James
Ronaldo
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 116 posts
Armorama: 103 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 10, 2017 - 11:30 PM UTC
Congratulations James,you deserve it.

Ronaldo
ReconTL3-1
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 12:07 AM UTC
Thanks, Ronaldo.

There were so many excellent models that were of Vietnam subjects at the show. I was very impressed and inspired as the show was not the largest that I have been to, but the quality of the models on display were of quite high caliber. I feel honored to have one of my works chosen as for the Vietnam award.

Cheers,
James
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 12:15 AM UTC
James,

Thank you for your service, and thank you for honoring others who've served by sharing your wonderful works.

Congrats! 🏆
—mike
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 02:19 AM UTC
That is a nice dio.
Hope to see it in next Years Tulsa show.
Really a nice paint up.
strongarden
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 730 posts
Armorama: 624 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 03:07 AM UTC
Just saw this beauty for the first time, wow wadda really nice dio! Conveys a lot w/ just a little bit of action. Great treatment w/ the painting and mods, thanks for sharing how they were done.
Congrats on your wins too!

Cheers
Dave
ReconTL3-1
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, June 12, 2017 - 07:42 AM UTC
Thanks Mike, Jeff, and Dave.

Mike, it has been my honor and pleasure to have had the opportunity to serve. Thanks for your support.

Jeff, I plan on attending the Tulsa show next year. An unforeseen event occurred that prevented me from being to attend this year's show.

Cheers,
James
Mark
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 554 posts
Armorama: 461 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 15, 2017 - 01:35 PM UTC
Hi James,

well deserved 1st place!

the number of Vietnam related subjects at shows here in the Netherlands is very low unfortunately ;-(

best regards,
Mark
All_You_Can_Kit
Visit this Community
Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
KitMaker: 599 posts
Armorama: 527 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 17, 2017 - 04:52 AM UTC
Very inspiring vignette, congratulations my friend! Anyway, yes true, since the only absolute thing is: get fun when build our project.

Cheers

Garry
j76lr
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,081 posts
Armorama: 1,066 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 15, 2017 - 08:35 PM UTC
another great dio !!!
 _GOTOTOP