_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Achieving galvanized steel effect
MatthewB88
Visit this Community
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 40 posts
Armorama: 15 posts
Posted: Monday, June 05, 2017 - 11:24 PM UTC
I have a small brass bucket to hang on my tiger but I'm not sure how to go about painting it. I remember seeing a mig tutorial where he used a silver base and then textured it with a sponge but mine came out less than convincing when I attempted it. So I stripped it and I'm back to bare brass. If anyone has any ideas I'd be happy to hear them.
Namabiiru
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 2,888 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 06, 2017 - 12:02 AM UTC
That's a good question, Matthew. I've never been especially successful with bare metal finishes. The idea of using a sponge sounds intriguing. I'll looking forward to seeing what kind of replies you get. Sorry I can't help directly.

abrosimi
Visit this Community
Moscow, Russia
KitMaker: 12 posts
Armorama: 11 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 06, 2017 - 12:05 AM UTC
Can you share some pictures what kind of effects you'd like to achive?
rdt1953
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,098 posts
Armorama: 68 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 06, 2017 - 01:05 AM UTC
Hi Matthew - Go to Wingnut Wings website - in their tips section there is a tutorial on painting metal cowlings to give a engine turned effect but to me it also passes for new hot dipped galvanized- if the bucket is really brass you could also tin it with solder which looks just like hot dipped galvanized .
Hope this helps - Richard
MatthewB88
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 06, 2017 - 02:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Can you share some pictures what kind of effects you'd like to achive?

I haven't had much luck trying to upload pics onto here recently. If you're interested, pm me and ill shoot you some images. I'm just trying to replicate the color of the buckets you see hanging on the back of some German tanks. If in fact they were galvanized steel as I'm assuming.
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 3,608 posts
Armorama: 3,092 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 06, 2017 - 07:49 AM UTC
You should be able to replicate this by painting the bucket steel, then stippling grey over it.
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 06, 2017 - 08:41 AM UTC
Hi Matthew,
IMHO: How about a beat-up look? — no need for the shiny galvanized texture finish, unless you just really want that look, of course.
Here's a Eureka XXL bucket I painted awhile ago: Link

HTH.🍺
—mike
flippen_waffles
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 143 posts
Armorama: 116 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 06, 2017 - 09:37 AM UTC

justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 06, 2017 - 09:46 AM UTC
Oh snap! I like that!
MatthewB88
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 06, 2017 - 09:12 PM UTC
Jon: that's exactly what I saw awhile back, and exactly what I was going for. I couldn't remember the steps. Thank you for that.
MatthewB88
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 06, 2017 - 09:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Oh snap! I like that!

Your bucket looked pretty cool to me man. It had the look of something that had been outside and in use like the reference photos I looked at. Those were beat to death. What method did you use?
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 07, 2017 - 01:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Your bucket looked pretty cool to me man. It had the look of something that had been outside and in use like the reference photos I looked at. Those were beat to death. What method did you use?

Thanks Matthew! It really just boils down to free-forming, using my imagination and whatever is on the paint shelf at the time. And since I can’t rely on my memory, I always take notes as I go. So here’s my “bucket list.”

Acrylics never want to stick to PE, so I always start with Tamiya rattle-can Fine Surface Primer (light grey) for metal parts. In this case, I actually liked it as the base coat. After which, I pin-washed with Vallejo European Dust Wash (76.523). For the stains, I used a course brush and cotton-swab to dab on Vallejo Dark Rust (70.302). Then, I used a fine brush to create the gross streaks. The handle was painted with Vallejo Grey Green (71.055) and dabbed with Dark Rust once again. Once painting was finished, I airbrushed the bucket with Vallejo Matt Varnish (70.520).

Note: Vallejo Dark Rust (70.302) has kind of a translucence depending on how it is applied, it is one of my favorite weathering paints.

Glad to help!🍺
—mike
MatthewB88
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 07, 2017 - 01:47 AM UTC
Thank you Mike. Im gonna give this a shot. I don't have all of the vallejo colors but I've got plenty of weathering stuff from ammo I can substitute with. Good looking out man.
 _GOTOTOP