_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas: Vietnam
For Vietnam diorama subjects or techniques.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Main Force Viiet Cong, Long An Province, RVN
ReconTL3-1
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 726 posts
Armorama: 687 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 12:05 AM UTC
Since I was on a roll getting figures and vignettes put together for Soonercon 2017, I figured that I could get at least one more vignette completed if I made the figures straight out of the box with no modifications. I chose the Bravo 6 Viet Cong kit B6-35016. I know it is unlike me to not convert a figure at least a little bit, but I was fighting against the clock and wanted to do something representing the other side that could be painted quickly. I started this on 6 June and completed it on 9 June just in time for the show on the 10th. It may not be one of my best works, but it isn't too bad in my opinion.

This vignette and figures represent members of a Main Force Viet Cong unit located in Long An Province that fought against elements of the US 9th Infantry Division in 1967.

Cheers,
James
Klaus-Adler
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,505 posts
Armorama: 840 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 03:02 AM UTC
some nice work there mate
strongarden
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 730 posts
Armorama: 624 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 03:19 AM UTC
James I was actually commenting on your other US troop pc right as you posted this one! I was like "...wait, that's new..."
For something quick and dirty this Viet Cong vignette is awesome, a nice companion to the other one.
Nice choice of base as well.

Cheers -again-
Dave
mojo72
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
KitMaker: 160 posts
Armorama: 130 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 07:51 PM UTC
Hi James

Awesome display considering the vignette only took 3 days to complete. Love to see more of your work. Keep them coming

Best regards
Muhammad
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 07:58 PM UTC
Nice deal. me thinks James is retired.

Can't wait to some of your Tank stuff.
ReconTL3-1
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, June 12, 2017 - 07:38 AM UTC
Thanks David, Dave, Muhammad, and Jeff.

Jeff, you are correct...I am retired so I am able to spend more time on modeling...sometimes...

I will be working on more projects, but they won't be completed in a matter of days like the last few have been because my wife has stuff for me to do now that June shows are over and the next show that I will be going to isn't until September.

Thanks to looking.

Cheers,
James
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Monday, June 12, 2017 - 03:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks David, Dave, Muhammad, and Jeff.

Jeff, you are correct...I am retired so I am able to spend more time on modeling...sometimes...

I will be working on more projects, but they won't be completed in a matter of days like the last few have been because my wife has stuff for me to do now that June shows are over and the next show that I will be going to isn't until September.

Thanks to looking.

Cheers,
James

I think we will meet at next years Tulsa show.

Near the end I think.

What part of the great state of Texas are you in?

Jeff

PS About retired myself, strange how fast the days go.
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Monday, June 12, 2017 - 06:13 PM UTC
Hard to believe that you knocked that one out so fast and still kept such high quality !
Looks great man,
J
ReconTL3-1
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 12:03 AM UTC
Jeff,
Look forward to meeting you at the Tulsa show. I live in the country north of Weathetford which is west of Fort Worth. Glad to hear you are close to retirement.

Jerry, I think I was able to knock this one out so quickly because I did not spend any time on conversion nor painting eyeballs. For the highlighting of the black pajamas I just did some drybrushing instead of my normal shading and highlighting like I did on the brown trousers on the kneeling guy. I also worked on them from the time I woke up until I went to bed. I probably won't do that again for more than one day again. I am glad you liked the figures and thought they turned out well.

Cheers,
James
trickymissfit
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,357 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 17, 2017 - 09:58 AM UTC
The MP40 kinda puts you in the Vietmen and early sixties era, but there were probably still a few in use out on the Cambodian border. Never saw onye, but knew about them.

Most VC ceased to exist after TET in 68. Keep in mind most VC were farmers,and had to work the paddies the next morning. Saw them carrying everthing from an MAS 36 to the M1 carbine. Really didn't see a lot with the AK47. Their main job was planting mines and booby traps.

Almost everyone I was around wore black silk Pajamas or shorts. Always wore the cone shaped hats. Didn't see a lot
of local VC, and then around midnight.
Gary
j76lr
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,081 posts
Armorama: 1,066 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 10, 2017 - 09:13 PM UTC
good job
 _GOTOTOP