_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Need help with '251 tracks
Invincible
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 148 posts
Armorama: 122 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 11:55 PM UTC
I'm currently working on the Revell re boxing of zvezda's sd.kfz 251 stuka zu fuss (the one with rockets on the sides) and I've run into problems with the tracks. They just don't want to fit together! Has anyone built this kit and found ways to fix this problem, or know any after market companies that produce reasonably affordable tracks?
lespauljames
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,661 posts
Armorama: 2,764 posts
Posted: Monday, June 12, 2017 - 01:46 AM UTC
Hobbyboss do a set and the retail at around 6.50

http://www.creativemodels.co.uk/hobbyboss_135_sdkfz_251_tracks-p-3134.html
brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,272 posts
Armorama: 1,860 posts
Posted: Monday, June 12, 2017 - 02:24 AM UTC
Have it, but haven't built it.

Thanks for the heads-up, though.
firstcircle
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,249 posts
Armorama: 2,007 posts
Posted: Monday, June 12, 2017 - 06:17 PM UTC
There is a build review of what I believe is this same kit on Armorama here Stuka zu Fuss.

The reviewer does discuss the problems with the tracks at some length, I don't know if it will help you or not. At least you know it isn't just you.

If buying aftermarket tracks, make sure they come with a sprocket, because if the pitch is even a little different from the kit sprocket you will be stuffed. That Hobby Boss set appears not to include a sprocket, so you would need to check if anyone else has tried it. PMMS has a review of the HB set here HB 251, but it doesn't mention the kit you are building - I would be wary however unless you find someone who can vouch for them fitting the Zvezda kit. I'm not too sure if the Friul set does include a cast sprocket or not - I know the SdKfz250 set does, but the 251 I'm not so sure; these aren't that cheap either.

Probably better to have a look at what he said in that review of the kit and soldier on for a bit. Are you hoping to assemble the tracks / wheels then paint them, or paint first then assemble?
Invincible
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, June 12, 2017 - 08:18 PM UTC
No problem, also when you do get round to building it, use a slow drying glue for the hull sides. I used extra thin and learnt a harsh lesson...
Invincible
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, June 12, 2017 - 08:35 PM UTC
Thanks! I'll ask my local model shop to order them.
 _GOTOTOP