_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Weathering 1/35 scale advertising posters
Bruc84
Visit this Community
Slovenia
KitMaker: 69 posts
Armorama: 66 posts
Posted: Friday, June 16, 2017 - 01:39 PM UTC
Hallo!

I have printed some 1930s advertisments for a wall on my diorama...

I am planing to glue it on a wood base with a wooden frame to make a sort of "advertising tabble" to put on the wall...

Please help me to find some tutorial how to make the poster look more old, ruind and realistic... the size is about 8cm high and 6cm widht...

I have a verry high quality print on normal paper (you cant see any sign of printing)...

Thank you...

Bostjan
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,517 posts
Armorama: 1,109 posts
Posted: Friday, June 16, 2017 - 02:45 PM UTC
In the FAQ dioramas book of AK have some really good chapters about that
Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,659 posts
Armorama: 1,512 posts
Posted: Friday, June 16, 2017 - 03:42 PM UTC
Hello.

I've made some posters with my printer, and the first thing I do is sand the back of the paper to make it thinner so it looks more to scale. Then I use pigments to get the poster to look aged.

Here is an example you can see the printed poster in the background of this photo. I used some light brown and gray pigments to get it to look old, and to tie it into the scene, I blended it by airbrushing the area lightly with some very well thinned dust colored paint.

Worked out pretty good for me. But I had to practice with the pigments, I think the one shown was my 3rd or 4th attempt...

Delbert
cheyenne
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,185 posts
Armorama: 1,813 posts
Posted: Friday, June 16, 2017 - 06:49 PM UTC
Bostjan , just about everyone prints first then wonders how to weather , try getting ahold of some parchment paper or textured paper .
Use watercolors , tea or any other preferred medium to weather the paper then print your poster .
This classic Absinthe ad was printed on a tracing paper type parchment sheet and using a glue stick applied it to a textured rough brick sheet .
I coated it with some dirty old water I washed my brushes out in .
Most ads were just paper posters tho I've seen them on wood backers , large ads were painted on the buildings .

Not following the above mentioned method , these ads were printed on regular printing paper .
I tested washes on them and they proved to not run the original printer ink .

Bruc84
Visit this Community
Slovenia
KitMaker: 69 posts
Armorama: 66 posts
Posted: Friday, June 16, 2017 - 10:50 PM UTC
wow, guys...

Thank for your help... i will try sending down the paper a little, and than i will tear it down and samsh it a little, and then i will weather it with murky water an some pigments...

I will post the results...

Bostjan
Taylortony
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 126 posts
Armorama: 102 posts
Posted: Monday, June 26, 2017 - 04:18 PM UTC
Try adding coffee or tea to your water

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Paper-Look-Old
skyray
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 13 posts
Armorama: 12 posts
Posted: Monday, June 26, 2017 - 05:00 PM UTC
Hy!
Did You try this https://youtu.be/6VF57Ni75mw
I did this on my diorama
willc453
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 55 posts
Armorama: 45 posts
Posted: Monday, July 03, 2017 - 04:24 AM UTC
Thanks for the ideas on how to do this as I plan on doing the same thing.

As a kid growing up in the 60's saw more than one building with large advertisements glued to the side of the building. But also a lot of advertisements painted on the side of the building. Bought 8 1/2 x 11" white & clear decal paper with that in mind. Anyone done any large advertisements on decal paper?

I'd paint the building like it was new, add the decal advertisement, then weather everything. And not just advertisements, but graffiti found via Google.
 _GOTOTOP