_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum
Russian or Soviet vehicles/armor modeling forum.
camo netting
bulldawg380
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 347 posts
Armorama: 338 posts
Posted: Friday, June 23, 2017 - 06:19 PM UTC
does anyone know if the Checks would have used camo nets on thier t-55am2 want to build mine in a closed up fighting stance with some mild weathreing and I have not been able to find any photos of opperational t-55am2b in use in the field thnaks in advance

ps i have the engine air inlets open so not sure how i shiuld proceed with build up any input welcome
Batpatchedscout
Visit this Community
Jihocesky Kraj, Czech Republic
KitMaker: 32 posts
Armorama: 32 posts
Posted: Friday, June 23, 2017 - 09:14 PM UTC
I have direct personal experience and have consulted our field manuals on camouflage, so I hope, I can provide appropriate answer.
Every T-54/55/72 series MBT of former CSLA (hope Checks stands for Czechs or better Czechoslovaks) was equipped with 12 x 12 m camo net plus at least 3 fiberglass support rods with (3)folding "fingers" made of the same fiberglass but of smaller diametre with cca 10 cm black plastic discs at their ends.
Camo net, when not in use, was kept in a huge canvas bag tied to (usually) rear of tank turret, supporting rods were kept in a sleeve made of canvas, too.
Camo net was "sewed" together/consisted of 3x6 m pieces/modules of three patterns, all three (position of green, brown and light green squares and triangles) defined by field manual as "Modules A, B and C"..., their position was changeable.
Take this as an example of possible combination of modules A, B and C into 12x12 camo net... 1 square should be 1 m in reality.
HTH
bulldawg380
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 24, 2017 - 01:00 AM UTC
thank you very much for the response and yes checks was just me takinga short cut for Czechoslovakia I apologize and meant no offense I am sorry. My question for you would be how was the net employed in the field and would it have been deployed with the vehicle buttoned up
bulldawg380
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 24, 2017 - 01:01 AM UTC
andwould the Eduarad cammo netts be realistic enough
brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,272 posts
Armorama: 1,860 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 24, 2017 - 01:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

thank you very much for the response and yes checks was just me takinga short cut for Czechoslovakia I apologize and meant no offense I am sorry. My question for you would be how was the net employed in the field and would it have been deployed with the vehicle buttoned up

Not to be mean, but as a Georgia educator your post fills me with sadness.
bulldawg380
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 24, 2017 - 03:29 AM UTC
Yes I two finger type and sometimes don't review my work before posting. No offense taken.
Batpatchedscout
Visit this Community
Jihocesky Kraj, Czech Republic
KitMaker: 32 posts
Armorama: 32 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 24, 2017 - 03:40 AM UTC
No problem chaps, we can continue. "Checks" is better than "Chechens"... I'll try to provide more information.
This type od camouflage net was used usually during non manouver phases of field actions, when vehicles (for example tanks, BMPs, arty) were hull down or in cover/trench... Basically it wasn't intended to be used in pieces on vehicles on the move (but certain examples can be found recently)... Those support rods were used to lift the net in the aim to disguise shapes of vehicles (the best example would be the case of office bodied truck) and they were held in place only by weight and by tension of netting.
That material was relatively heavy and dense, and "foamy" when packed, the best way (confirmed) how to reproduce it is making that of medical (square, not woven) gause... Soak it in some clear lacquer and stretch it to let it dry to make it "rip stop" and a bit "stiff" and paint it black - to get a "carrier net". Make squares of paper tissue of 1x1 m in needed scale and paint them light green, dark green and brown. Glue them to cover carrier net..., you can put them one next to another according to above provided pattern of Modules A, B and C... Use stiff brush to make some "action damage", less is better, in fact the squares were made of some kind of plastic "cotton" pressed to carrier net. That all makes the trick.
Well, one picture can tell the story, but I have to say the pattern of squares is rather strange: http://www.armyweb.cz/images/UO/cviceni01.JPG
Excellent example: http://hobby-army.hyperinzerce.cz/vojenska-vystroj/inzerat/5825103-prodam-maskovanou-sit-acr-9x5-6m-se-ctyrmi-pavouky-nabidka-jizni-cechy/
And on 1:35 UAZ (made directly according to the instruction provided above): http://www.modelforum.cz/download/file.php?id=986598
That model was obviously inspired by this photo so that means probably, that camo net was written off and used as improvisation... http://forum.valka.cz/files/uaz_469_teren2.jpg

_GOTOTOP