_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas: Techniques
Diorama techniques and related subjects.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Replicating rendered walls in small scale ...
pbennett
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 464 posts
Armorama: 412 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 25, 2017 - 05:28 AM UTC
I am planning to replicate rough-cast rendered walls on a 1/152-scale church. My first thought is to coat the surface with PVA glue, followed by an overall sprinkling of sharp sand. Once completely dry, any excess can be shaken off, and the surface primed and painted. An alternative is to use chinchilla sand, which has a much finer grain.
I would be interested to hear of any other suggestions ... maybe you have attempted a similar treatment.
ironelf
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 235 posts
Armorama: 174 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 25, 2017 - 05:40 AM UTC
Hi Paul

Perhaps a suitable grit sandpaper would do the trick?

Cheers

Chris
pbennett
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, June 26, 2017 - 05:54 AM UTC
Yes, I have considered that option ... often used it to depict rendered walls on battle damaged buildings (and tarmac or concrete ground surfaces). However, this is not the best choice here, as the complex shapes would make it difficult to apply without ending up with noticeable seams (even after painting and weathering).
Of course, I could simply build the church using pre-textured plastic sheet, but again the joins would be difficult to conceal.
I am sure that some type of sand (sprinkled over a glued surface) is the best approach ... similar to the way non-slip surfaces are replicated on 1/35-scale modern tanks.
srmalloy
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 336 posts
Armorama: 298 posts
Posted: Monday, June 26, 2017 - 09:20 PM UTC
If you have trouble finding sand fine enough for your purpose, you might want to look at rock tumbling grit; it comes in various grit sizes (the higher the grit number, the finer the grit, just like sandpaper), so you should be able to find a grit that would give you the amount of texture that you want.
pbennett
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, June 27, 2017 - 11:51 PM UTC
Thanks for that information ... I was aware of such a material (and its use), but never knew its actual name.
 _GOTOTOP