_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Vallejo Model Air's Color Change ?
Slammer88
Visit this Community
Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 2 posts
Armorama: 2 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 25, 2017 - 07:12 PM UTC
Hello there.

I'd like to ask you something about the Vallejo Model Air colors.

I've recently got two versions of 2 colors in Model Air series, whose colors are slightly different from each other.

I've got the both older and newer batches of the colors 71093 and 71037, and when i compare their colors, they have different tones of the mentioned color above them, whose information are as below;

71037 - Older : B-02-02, Newer : J-21-09
71093 - Older : A-21-12, Newer : J-05-06

(By the older bottles i mean the Fonts are a little larger and the background color is a little darker than the newer ones)

This makes me think whether there has been any kind of tonal color revision on the newer batches/bottles without publicly announced. Actually i'm questioning myself about that Model Air's colors might have been wrong (or not "that" close to real) until recently, and they've been somehow revised. If so, how should i know that these current colors are the "accurate" ones ?

By the way, i know that, after the last years new color batch release, some colors' names have been changed, but this is irrelevant with that. It was merely a name change (which is also interesting as well), but what i'm trying to explain here is a complete tonal difference.
Don't get me wrong, i'm in real love with Vallejo products, i can send you my workbench's picture, it's all about Vallejo stuff everywhere but seeing this has kinda disappointed me, but i do think that it has a logical explanation.

Anyone experienced such a thing as well ?
Scarred
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,792 posts
Armorama: 1,186 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 25, 2017 - 08:02 PM UTC
Somebody had this issue back in April. A color can change lot to lot and year to year.

http://armorama.com/forums/257651#2185937
urumomo
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 675 posts
Armorama: 667 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 25, 2017 - 08:21 PM UTC
Ran into that just recently with their Model Color line ,
Went into Hobby Lobby to pick up a replacement for a " Green Grey "
Grabbed it and when I got back to the bench I realize the " new " one is way way lighter ( WAY ) , closer to the sky gray of theirs I was mixing in to lighten the first one .
So -- had to go reverso and darken the new one

I like their colors but their paint is so inconsistent it drives me nutz
If Heinz were Vallejo , the first bottle of ketchup would be creamy and red -- the second bottle would be gritty mustard ...

" Vallejo : A Completely New Painting Experience in Every Bottle ! "
Scarred
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, June 25, 2017 - 08:30 PM UTC
When I restock I usally buy 2 bottle of each color and ask that they are the same lot if possible. Usually I get matching lot numbers but sometimes they can't do it.

Slammer88
Visit this Community
Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 2 posts
Armorama: 2 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 27, 2017 - 10:35 PM UTC
So, i'm not the only one

I've written them the exact same post both from Facebook and via their contact e-mail, none answered yet. I hope they would, and convince me somehow..
Scarred
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 28, 2017 - 03:05 AM UTC
If you have two bottles, same brand, same color but slightly different shades due to different lots you can just mix them together, put them back in their bottles and you have two bottles the same shade. Enough for a couple of kits. Been down this road a lot.
 _GOTOTOP