_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: AA/AT/Artillery
For discussions about artillery and anti-aircraft or anti-tank guns.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Kits on the attic
Antilles
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 671 posts
Armorama: 45 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 01, 2017 - 03:47 AM UTC
Hello fellow modelers,
today I am leaving my normal track. Typically, I build aeroplanes in 1/72 scale. So I hope, I found the proper group for posting this story.

Two month ago I cleaned up my fatherīs attic. Under a thick layer of dust there was an box carrying my old armor models, mostly ESCI kits. My focus went on the Flakvierling, that was mounted on top of an Opel Blitz. I guess, this was the moment, I wanted to restore my old build (probably after a storage on the attic for 30 years).

I do not know, if this vehicle ever existed. I found one single picture of such a vehicle in the net, only.

Hence,I bought a new Opel Blitz of manufacturer Italeri (they still sell the old ESCI kit) and began to restore the old kit and put it on a display with several figures. As, I normally build aeroplanes, I am not very proficient in armor or uniforms. The red and white barrel, filled with sand probably is totally wrong, as it typically appears besides my planes for fire safety but, it is a nice eye-catcher.

So, here is the result. I hope, You like it and feel free to comment.

Hopefully my new photo host works as photobucket is gone now!

Oliver
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 01, 2017 - 03:56 AM UTC
Not bad in that scale.
Only thing that strikes me are the barrels floating above ground. Maybe push them into the ground a bit.
Nice deal with the sandbags to protect the tires.

Cheers

Jeff
petbat
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,353 posts
Armorama: 3,121 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 01, 2017 - 04:08 AM UTC
Nice little build that brings back memories!!

Agree that the barrels would dislodge sand and grit especially if filled with sand. Even when empty, to move them you roll them either on the edge back and forward to shuffle them along, or roll them on its side, then lever them upright - either way the bottom is pretty well below the level of the top of the sand.

Also, perhaps a dark pin wash between the sandbags to add a shadow effect of the edges of the bags and the crevices between them.

Thanks for sharing it
Antilles
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, July 01, 2017 - 04:11 AM UTC
Jeff,
yes, You are right. Luckily, I just tempory fixed the barrels with blu tac, so I can easily dig them more into the groud.

Oliver
Antilles
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, July 01, 2017 - 07:25 PM UTC
Peter,
thankīs for the tip. I will do a dark pin wash on those sand bags!

Oliver
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 01, 2017 - 09:48 PM UTC
Very decent figures! Did they come with the kit, or are they Preiser?
Invincible
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 148 posts
Armorama: 122 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 01, 2017 - 10:05 PM UTC
Well, as your first piece of armour work in many years, this is definitely something to be proud of! Very good!
But be warned. Soon you shall catch the armour flu! And soon you won't be able to look at a tamiya armour kit without opening your wallet. Muhahahahahaaa!
Antilles
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, July 03, 2017 - 06:21 PM UTC
Biggles2
the three guys on the Flakvierling are Preiser Figures out of the Panzersoldaten-Set. I cut arms, legs and the corrected the head position to make them fit into the rather small Esci seats.
The other two guys are out of the old Matchbox kit Sd. Kfz. 232.

Oliver
Antilles
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, July 03, 2017 - 06:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Well, as your first piece of armour work in many years, this is definitely something to be proud of! Very good!
But be warned. Soon you shall catch the armour flu! And soon you won't be able to look at a tamiya armour kit without opening your wallet. Muhahahahahaaa!

Alas! It is already to late. I found a Tamiya Willys Jeep deep in my stash and enlisted in the JEEPS! campaign. Lets go for some armor .

Oliver
Antilles
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, July 15, 2017 - 03:00 AM UTC
As proposed sand-bags and barrels have been modified!

Thankīs for the clues!

Oliver
firstcircle
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,249 posts
Armorama: 2,007 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 15, 2017 - 02:01 PM UTC
Nicely painted truck, Oliver, reminds me of the one in FAQ2... And a good example of what can be done in such a small space with this scale: a nice quick impression of a scene, that in larger scale would be huge, but I think this is in the bounds of a postcard size picture frame - from Ikea?
Anyways like those Matchbox figures, remember them as a big step up from old Airfix ones which looked kind of half melted; these actually have proper faces.
Antilles
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 18, 2017 - 01:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

... but I think this is in the bounds of a postcard size picture frame - from Ikea?

Matthew: Thanks for leaving a comment and yes. You have a sharp eye. As most of my kits are in 1/72 scale I love those tiny picture frames to make a small dio of.

Oliver
 _GOTOTOP