_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Steyr 1500 update
AndersHeintz
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,250 posts
Armorama: 464 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 27, 2002 - 09:59 AM UTC
Hola, here are some in progress pictures of this beautiful Tamiya kit. Hand painted with apple barrel, decoart and folk art acrylics. I know that I over did the chipped paint, but I just had too much fun doing it! Pictures of the completed thing is comming soon!

Right side after "chipping"

Drivers side before chipping.
cfbush2000
Visit this Community
North Dakota, United States
KitMaker: 1,796 posts
Armorama: 1,207 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 27, 2002 - 10:14 AM UTC
Anders
Very cool. This is the look I want for a truck model I'm doing (a 1935 tow truck). Of course on the truck I'll add some rust.
Very nice work.
oraora
Visit this Community
Kuching, Malaysia
KitMaker: 216 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 27, 2002 - 11:35 AM UTC
Very nice anders, Can't wait to see the completed product!

oraora
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 27, 2002 - 12:03 PM UTC
Anders,
Looking good. I don't think the chipping is overdone. It would really depend on the theater the vehicle was in. Perhaps it's spent a lot of time on Mediterranean seashores? All that salt would certainly eat up the paint.

Which chipping technique did you use for this?

Cheers,
AndersHeintz
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 27, 2002 - 12:13 PM UTC
Thanks for the comments guys :-)
Jim,
It is supposed to be a Wiking vehicle in Hungary '45, the chips are from a few rough years of service. I think the chips around the doors are most unlikely, specially on the hinge side...
The technique I used for this was a mix of Apple Barrel's Real Brown with black and very diluted. Just dotted it on with a No 1 brush, as I only wanted to show the dark gray paint underneath and no rust, I didnt put no small spots of primer or rust in the dark chipped areas. Hope this answeres your question
Hope you dont mind that I use my figure gallery for some vehicles also
was just anxious to get them 'published"
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 27, 2002 - 09:35 PM UTC
Excellent work there Anders! I'm also working on a couple of Steyr's. One pretty much OOB, and the other has turned into a scratchbuilding project.
I take great inspiration from your fine example (above) of painting. I am in the decision making process right now as to which paint scheme to use. Your 'chipped' effect is well done for a 'well' used Steyr.

Tread.

P.S. Is that your 'chip' technique, or do you also use pencil? Just curious.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 29, 2002 - 08:00 AM UTC
Anders, are you adding any of the radio's or stowage equipment to the model? How about small arms or a bicycle? I even saw a great idea of an old victrola that I loved......just curious.

Tread.
AndersHeintz
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 30, 2002 - 09:39 AM UTC
Hola Tread.
The chipping is all brush and acrylics...I tried with a soft lead pencil but it didnt work to aweful good. As far as stowage, well. I think that model is about done the way it is, I mean, its finished now and pics are comming soon, have made a nice disiplay base for it but I dont think Im going to do anything else to this one. The next one Im making I will accually do some planning before I start it. The main reason I did this one was to paint something, I got tired of messing with the PE and building part of the Panther G, and I also wanted to ecperience a bit. The reason for choosing the Dark Yellow was that the chipped paint would be more closely seen on a lighter surface the next one will have Dark Yellow and Green cammo on it.
Are you using any PE? And what verion are you converting it to?
What paint scheeme did you settle on?
I also have a Kubelwagen with the worksahoip converion kit that awaits the bench!!!
These soft skins are just too much fun and are fast builds!!!
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 30, 2002 - 10:41 PM UTC
I dont think you overdone the chipping too much, especially on the front. It looks cool. I have a horsch in progress just now with the dark yellow colour. I have saved your pics to use them as a reference for mine. Thanks for the ideas!!!!
 _GOTOTOP