_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: R/C Armor
Discuss all Remote Control Armor related topics here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
1/16 M26 Pershing Build - Part 3
T-link
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 46 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 29, 2004 - 08:31 AM UTC
Hello All,

It's that time of week again, ready for Part 3......

p.s If you don't see any pictures at the links, come back at a latter time, there might be bandwidth problems with the photo server.

Here's a shot of the metal tracks I ordered from BackYard Armor (http://www.backyardarmor.com). These are Kenny Kong tracks of the highest quality, made with Zinc alloy I believe... don't quote me on that.

If you can afford them, I completely recommend it, they are just amazing to behold. They weight nearly 3 lbs!!! The tracks usually come with a few spares and extra pins with end caps. There are enough spares to replace the plastic spare track links that are mounted on the turret if you so wish.

Assembly is quite easy, here's a sample of each link. Yes, they do come pre-assembled, but sometimes shipping will undo many of the links, if you decide to blacken the tracks (I'll talk more about this in the next build update), wait till after you have done so before applying a bit of CA to each link end cap.

If you do go for the tracks remember that you will be limited in building a Korean version of the pershing, as far as I know this type of track only showed up on the Korean variants.

Here's a shot of the metal tracks against the kit included vinyl ones.

It's time to work on the back, yes I know I'm skipping steps here, but it's easier to do the modifications/additions to the back of the hull without all the heavy gears and motors installed.

I thought I'd would go ahead and replace the plastic tow cable and brackets. It's very easy to build the brackets yourself. I've seen reference shots where the brackets were simply steel angle brackets welded to the hull, and I've seen shots where the brackets had a slightly molded curve around the tow cable. I'm not a rivet counter, so here's a bit of artistic expression, this bracket is a prototype, the real ones will be slightly narrower.

Here are some of the tools I used to rebuild the tow cable brackets, a piece of brass angle, shaping pliers, a razor saw and a PE cutter.

Here's a shot of the replacement tow cable up against the plastic molded one in the kit. The new cable is made from 1/16 steel twine cable (It's about 1.58 mm just a tad larger than the actual correct scale size of 1.5 mm), pick it up in any hardware Store for pennies a foot. If you buy the same cable in a Hobby shop it will cost you 10 - 30 times the price!! You'd be surprised how many great things you can find in hardware stores for a fraction of the Hobby price. Cut the ends of the cable on a diagonal, this will allow you to easily fit them into the tow hooks.

Here's the kit included tow hooks and a shot of the completed brackets, as you can see the tow hooks were meant to be cemented to the back of the hull on the flat side. First you will need to gently drill through the back end a bit to make room for the cable to be inserted, after, you will need to add a small bit of styrene sheet and reshape the flat part of the hook. There is a German company that provides a metal version of these tow hooks (I believe the place is AFV-model: http://www.afv-model.com/, unfortunately I've heard many negatives things about this company from North American customers, buy from them at your own risk).

If you missed Part 2 from last week, here's the link: https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/25647&page=1

See ya in two weeks (out of town on business next week), same BAT time, same BAT channel....

T-Link
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 29, 2004 - 08:41 AM UTC
T-Link, she's coming along nicely. Thanks for sharing her with us.
Those tracks look absolutely awesome! Man they cost nearly as much as the tank.
Wish I could come up with a reason why I need one of these to my wife.

We'll be looking forward to part 4!
T-link
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Sunday, February 29, 2004 - 09:33 AM UTC
Thanks Kencelot, I'll be posting part 4 in about two weeks.

T-Link
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 2,606 posts
Armorama: 1,721 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 29, 2004 - 09:49 AM UTC
It's coming up nicely T-Link. I've got a couple of questionS:
- are you going to build it as a static or a "working" model? If it's working will the metal tracks work?
- I see you're going to super detail the kit. Why you didn't scratch the towing cables ends too?
Ciao
T-link
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Sunday, February 29, 2004 - 02:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

It's coming up nicely T-Link. I've got a couple of questionS:
- are you going to build it as a static or a "working" model? If it's working will the metal tracks work?
- I see you're going to super detail the kit. Why you didn't scratch the towing cables ends too?
Ciao

Hi scoccia,

The kit will be a full R/C model, the metal tracks are used by many for the R/C variant. The kit included tracks would easily shread on concrete.

I'm not really super detailing the kit, I'm just adding/replacing detail that will be strong enough to handle R/C torture. Those tow cable brackets are at least 5 times stronger then then molded plastic (they are dificult to bend without tools). The tow cable hooks included in the kit are not too bad, I would have replaced them if I could do metal casting, but I have never done that before.

The storage locker lids will be made out of thicker brass then you would normally see in PE, strong enough to take a beating, but yet still look somewhat to scale. I'll also be using real workable brass hinges, that are just slightly larger than scale, but look great.

T-Link :-)
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Monday, March 01, 2004 - 06:01 AM UTC
T-Link,
I've shot the detail pics. I have to say that the preservation state of those stowage boxes is really poor... By the way I'll post them by wednsday.
Ciao
jejack2
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 322 posts
Posted: Monday, March 01, 2004 - 12:55 PM UTC
Looking good T-Link!! I'm jealous of those tracks. Wanted some, but $180 a pop!!! Also checked out that backyard armor site...and fell in love with the Tiger/King Tiger suspension!! Hmm...could spend money on metal tracks...or round out my collection and buy the 1/16 Shermie also?? Decisions, decisions!!
T-link
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 12:37 AM UTC
scoccia

That's great scoccia, looking forward to seeing those pics.

jejack2

Ya, I know what you mean, that new suspension looks amazing, and I also heard you can tune it to be rough or hard, incredible. I will probably pick one of those up when I start my Tiger. If you do get the metal tracks, you won't be sorry, they add so much to the kit. I kinda want to get the 1/16 Sherman as well, did you see the new conversion kit they have for it at backyard armor?

So much to buy, so little money to spend.....

T-Link
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 09:05 AM UTC
As promised you can find 11 detail pics of the M26 stowage boxes here . I hope you will be able to get something out of them...
Ciao

T-link
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 12:21 AM UTC
scoccia

You done me a great service my friend, these shots are great. Thank you very much scoccia, you've picked up some detail I haven't seen before, very helpful. Your right about the condition of the lockers, but almost everything is there.

Thanks

T-Link
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 04:27 AM UTC
You're absolutely welcome T-Link! The interiors are just a bit rusty... It took almost an hour to open the boxes without breaking them...
Ciao

GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,289 posts
Armorama: 1,231 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 09:18 AM UTC
It's been a while since I drooled on my keyboard, but you just made that happen !
Prime superdetailing work !
T-link
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 12:28 AM UTC
Thanks for the kind words GeneralFailure, wait till you see what's coming up next :-)

T-Link
 _GOTOTOP