_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Miniart T70M - How would you do it
nheather
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 295 posts
Armorama: 204 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 13, 2017 - 04:31 AM UTC
Pretty inexerienced and looking for some advice.

I'm building a Miniart T70M light tank and I'm a little stumped about how best to tackle the wheels.

The kit has individual link tracks (not working) and this will be a first for me.

How would you go about the wheels - particularly the tyres?

Would you assemble everthing wheels, tracks, fenders then undercoat, then main colour then paint the tyres. If so would you hand paint the tyres or airbrush.

Or would you paint the chassis and wheels seperately, then assemble and add the tracks.

Can't decide which is best.

Obviously I do some heavy mud weathering and then the tyres would be irrelevent but sat I want a clean finish.

Cheers,

Nigel
Selogon
Visit this Community
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
KitMaker: 20 posts
Armorama: 20 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 13, 2017 - 05:38 AM UTC
Hello,
In my case (of slightly less beginner than you, I guess), I tend to build everything first, but leave the wheels unglued. Makes it easier to paint/weather behind them for one thing.
Then I assemble/form the tracks on the unglued wheels/sprockets/etc. and paint it after removing the final result.
I'm not sure how I would manage to paint them cleanly when definitely glued on
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 3,608 posts
Armorama: 3,092 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 13, 2017 - 06:24 AM UTC
I glue up and paint the hull and wheels separately. Then I dry fit the wheels and measure the track run. I assemble the track run and form it around the wheels. When everything is dry, I pull it all off, paint the tracks, and assemble the whole thing together. Makes life easier.
nheather
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 295 posts
Armorama: 204 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 13, 2017 - 06:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I glue up and paint the hull and wheels separately. Then I dry fit the wheels and measure the track run. I assemble the track run and form it around the wheels. When everything is dry, I pull it all off, paint the tracks, and assemble the whole thing together. Makes life easier.

What do you do when the fender fully or partially covers the top of the tracks. With the fender in place you couldn't remove the tracks but if you fit the fender after painting then it will be harder to glue it to the chassis and you could mess up the nice paintwork you have done so far. Especially if filler is required.

Cheers,

Nigel
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 3,608 posts
Armorama: 3,092 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 13, 2017 - 10:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

What do you do when the fender fully or partially covers the top of the tracks. With the fender in place you couldn't remove the tracks but if you fit the fender after painting then it will be harder to glue it to the chassis and you could mess up the nice paintwork you have done so far. Especially if filler is required.

Cheers,

Nigel

I'd assemble the top hull/fenders separately from the assembled/painted bottom hull/tracks. Then I'd mate them, mask off the tracks and bottom hull, and paint the rest of the tank.
 _GOTOTOP