_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
Abteilng 502
HansBouwmeester
Visit this Community
Namibia
KitMaker: 346 posts
Armorama: 343 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 25, 2017 - 07:55 PM UTC
Just bought the flesh color set and I'm trying it out on some left overs. Pity there's no instruction. Should it be used wet-on-wet and/or thinned a bit? Anyone tried it before ?
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,517 posts
Armorama: 1,109 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 26, 2017 - 07:26 AM UTC
I use oils for my figures and yes usually is wet-on-wet and not thinned if i need to thin a little bit i just dump the brush and thin directly on the figure,the good of the oils is that it blends together very easily and you have a lot of time to work on, I do not use their set so my palette is different but the technical base is the same,i place before the paint on a cardboard for few minutes to soak the oil,like this they dry a little faster and little bit more Matt,then i place the colors on a plate starting from the darker to the lighter,then i mix parts of the paint Always going from dark in the light so that you can find a strip with all the shades your palette gives to you and to the side anyway a certain amount of pure colors, to the side I keep a bit of red to mix for the cheeks and lips.

Then i do a base in acrylics and i start from the eyes,Then from top to bottom, making shadows first and then lights and blend everithing togeter, but I'm not very good at explaining I use the technique learned by Danilo Cartacci a Master in this type of technique, search on youtube and you find various of is videos, if you want there is also his book that is my bible especially for the faces and skin, you also find it in e-book format "painting Miniatures" from Danilo Cartacci

http://www.aurigapublishing.it/libri_elenco.asp?collana=Historical%20figurer%20english

http://www.labottegadelcartacci.it/index.php?lang=english

HansBouwmeester
Visit this Community
Namibia
Posted: Wednesday, July 26, 2017 - 03:34 PM UTC
Thanks a lot, this will surely help me out!!!
HansBouwmeester
Visit this Community
Namibia
Posted: Sunday, July 30, 2017 - 04:35 PM UTC
Did my first try-outs on some good quality heads (1/16 and 1/35) and it's fantastic ! Never been easier to color and blend. This is great stuff. One should almost consider using only oils but the drying-time would make it long projects. Pity their line of brushed totally suck. They split at first use. Perhaps that's why they offer some sort of 'mending gell' ......
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,517 posts
Armorama: 1,109 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 01, 2017 - 04:15 AM UTC
I am happy that you like oils, I love them, I have tried more times with acrylics but I'm not good at all, for drying times there is some system to shorten them,absorb more linseed oil than You can,use a hairdryer or home heaters but not with plastic at best with the resin if it does not have parts too thin or you can (only do this with white metal) to build a "oven" as I did, just A box better if made of wood, glue inside aluminum foil or as I did I use that aluminum tape that is used to fix fireplace etc ... then you put us a old model or halogen bulb that warms up, in this Way you accelerate the drying process a lot, if you are interested i can post some photos of my oven ... wood is better than metal for reasons of electrical current isolation, or there are chemical additives to speed up drying time but i never try them but i have in mind to do some Tests soon.

like this one...

https://www.uschivdr.com/shopping-categories/shop-chemicals/

For paintbrush unfortunately if you want really good stuff you have to take artists brushes,they cost a lot more but if you treat them well last even years, the best I've tried are Winsor & Newton 7 Series, Rosemary & Co series 33, Broken Toad and Raphael series 8404, all Kolinsky Sable Brush hand made, and to keep them as it should after each session I wash them with this soap "B & J The Masters Brush Cleaner & Preserver"
HansBouwmeester
Visit this Community
Namibia
Posted: Tuesday, August 01, 2017 - 03:41 PM UTC
Thanks, just orderd three brushes and the cleaning soap. They cost more but if they last longer .......
 _GOTOTOP