_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum
Russian or Soviet vehicles/armor modeling forum.
uniforms of Soviet /Russian tankers, early 90
MassimoTessitori
Visit this Community
Italy
KitMaker: 278 posts
Armorama: 278 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 25, 2017 - 10:07 PM UTC
Hi,
I am building a T-80BV of Trumpeter, 1/35, and I am adapting two tankers from the tankers box of Dragon.
The uniforms shown in this box seem somewhat different to those seen in the '90s:

-the color is uniform khaki instead of camouflaged;
-on camouflaged uniforms, one can see pockets on the sleeves and other differences.

I have two questions:
-when did the use of the khaki uniform end? I suppose around 1990.
-would it be acceptable to paint the figures as they are with a camo pattern, without modifying them?

Kosakk
Visit this Community
Akershus, Norway
KitMaker: 40 posts
Armorama: 39 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 26, 2017 - 02:37 PM UTC
The tankists in your picture are wearing Soviet tankist uniforms. I've seen picture of it in use as late as 1994, when the Russians left Germany.

Some tankists (and BMP/BTR/BMD crew) wore infantry uniforms instead of the tankist uniform during the Chechen war in 1994, because it was available I guess. The Obr.88 (M88 or "Afghanka") uniform cut had all types of camo available. Butan/TTsKO, VSR, Spetsdezhda and khaki.

If your figures are wearing the same uniform as the one in your picture, it would be black or khaki. If you want your figures to wear camo uniforms, you must modify them to lock like the infantry uniform.
MassimoTessitori
Visit this Community
Italy
KitMaker: 278 posts
Armorama: 278 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 27, 2017 - 01:34 AM UTC
Thank you, your explanation is very clear.
I think that I'll paint them in khaki.
The green/black/grey camo of my T-80BV (I've already painted it) is compatible with the units in East Germany.
 _GOTOTOP