_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Sdkfz251 Wurfrahmen 40 Stuka Das Fuss Rockets
erichvon
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,694 posts
Armorama: 1,584 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 26, 2017 - 02:57 PM UTC
This may sound a stupid question but I can't find an answer to it anywhere on the web. I've got a couple of the DML Sdkfz251 Wurfrahmen 40's that I bought cheap off ebay a couple of years ago, the 3 in 1 kits. One of them has no rockets so I've bought a couple of the Tamiya rack launchers cheap and their Stuka Das Fuss 251 as well for the rockets and crates to use on the DML one (I'm going to use the Tamiya half track as a straightforward 251). What I want to know is were the crates reused or is that how they arrived to the artillery units? Did the rockets arrive "loose" so to speak and then loaded into the crates or were they already in the crates?. I know that wood and metal ones were used but wasn't sure if they were recycled. I'm going to have a few spare rockets once I've loaded both 251's up so thought about sticking them in the back of a lorry as replen. Any info would be gratefully received so I can work out what I'm going to do.
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 26, 2017 - 03:28 PM UTC
Looks like the rockets were already in the crates :

http://ww2-germanarmy.conceptbb.com/t176-bundesarchiv-schwerer-wurfrahmen-an-schutzenpanzer

I'm not sure they were recycled, but they rapidly became cumbersome

H.P.
Paulinsibculo
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,322 posts
Armorama: 1,239 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 26, 2017 - 03:47 PM UTC
If one considers where ( geographically) these rockets were used, next to the moment in the war, since the beginning of 1941, it is less likely that, for German standards, cheap material as wood was going to be re-used, thus requiring considerable space in the logistic system.
erichvon
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, July 26, 2017 - 04:08 PM UTC
Brilliant. Thanks for the photos and the info guys. That's exactly what I needed to know.
erichvon
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, July 26, 2017 - 04:09 PM UTC
Frenchy, you read my mind. Those photos on the link show what I'm planning on doing with them! Much obliged for the link.
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 3,569 posts
Armorama: 2,070 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 26, 2017 - 08:04 PM UTC
Here are a couple of well known images from google.

The first shows a discarded pile of launch grates and the second shows a load of rockets inside the 251.

From them I took that the rockets were issued to the units in crates and then the crates were discarded after use. That does not mean that another unit did not follow along and pick up the enpty crates, but I have seen a couple of other pics with large piles of empty crates, one in Berlin. But I did not come across it in my quick search.

hope this helps,
Mike
 _GOTOTOP