_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
Modern British SAS
poibrudda6
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 274 posts
Armorama: 251 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 29, 2017 - 08:54 AM UTC
Aloha everyone!!!!

I'm looking at depicting a scene that includes current British SAS or special forces units and was wondering if anyone knew which figures out there comes the closest. From what I gather a lot of the different sets are somewhat of a mix of varied styles and not quite right but I don't know. HELP!!!!

Thank you in advance!!

Kurt
Trisaw
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,105 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 29, 2017 - 09:02 AM UTC
You didn't state what scale you're after, but for 1/35 scale, there's "Nato in Miniatures."

http://soga-miniatures.ru.com/index.php?categoryID=664

For 120mm, busts, and larger, there's "Mitches Military Models."

http://mitchesmilitarymodels.co.uk/?post_type=product

I'm sure there's others out there, but this is a good start.
knewton
Visit this Community
New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,217 posts
Armorama: 1,092 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 29, 2017 - 11:39 AM UTC
Black role, or green? If you want to go black, there is the Dragon set from yesteryear, which may cut it if you're looking for something from the Iranian embassy siege*.Or, Velinden's 120mm SAS trio, if you really need something large.

For green role figures, there are more options... well, with the interchangeability of uniforms and weapons, where the only identifier is a Union flag on the chest and / or shoulders, you can go with Airborne Miniatures, Legends', or something in 200mm scale from Mitches Miniatures, with minor modifications. Just look at Taskforce Black for Brits in multicam, British desert cammies, and digicam. It's all there.

Good luck with your quest. I would really like to see some new black role figures.

Kylie

*subject of the movie, '6 days', out soon.
erichvon
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,694 posts
Armorama: 1,584 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 29, 2017 - 12:02 PM UTC
Those SOGA figures are really nice. I'd not seen those before. They're not really much use though if you're thinking of doing a dio/figures of the SAS as they have so much free play over what they use or wear these days. Add to that the secrecy that they operate under it's pretty difficult to work out what they even look like these days. It all depends on where you want them operating and on which op. GRANBY, TELIC orHERRICK. GRANBY they wore pretty much standard issue kit although there are photographs of them wearing the WW2 sand coloured smock over their combats. Green DPM could also be seen as the MOD had no real stocks of desert warfare kit then hence issuing WW2 smocks. I sold the one I'd had for years a few weeks ago but have lots of photos of it. I can email them to you if you went down that route. Weaponswise at that point it was M16A2's with 203's, GPMG's and Minimis. AT wise they carried the LAW 80 (a beast to carry round) and 66mm rocket launchers (the US M72). Anything but the SA80 as the first incarnation was crap. I broke mine in half an hour. Oops! Didn't go down too well with the armourers. Not even any good as a club as it would fall to bits even more lol. By TELIC the army in general was better equipped towards desert areas and as it's the SAS home ground and they'd spent quite a bit of time mooching about there they'd worked out what kit they wanted and worked. It wasn't unknown for a mixture of civillian, US tri colour cammies and bits of British kit to be worn at the same time. I remember talking to a couple of guys from the regiment in the early 90's and their philosophy was if it's comfortable, keeps you warm and is reasonably tactical then if you can get away with it wear it. They shunned most of the issue kit like sleeping systems, warm weather gear (the desert gets very cold at night) for civvie versions as they're lighter, warmer and better made. Same went for uniform. The Masterbox set of SF with the Talib prisoner would probably work as a base set if you're not adverse to conversions. As their role in Afghan was mainly counter insurgency bits of Afghan tribal clothing were worn to blend in from a distance. There are very few photos in the public domain of 22 on ops due to the MOD blackout on Special Forces so you're going to have to think laterally according to which conflict you're modelling. Hope that's of some help.
knewton
Visit this Community
New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,217 posts
Armorama: 1,092 posts
Posted: Monday, July 31, 2017 - 01:36 AM UTC
May I suggest this link, he photos speak for themselves.

https://www.fresh.co.il/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=26906

Kylie
 _GOTOTOP