_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Paint stripping ?
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,352 posts
Armorama: 629 posts
Posted: Monday, March 01, 2004 - 06:29 AM UTC
The other day I had a bunch of heavy testors enamel primer on my Pak 40, so I sprayed it with Krogers heay duty lemon scent oven cleaner, and it done a beautiful job of removing the paint, the first night I sprayed it, then sealed it up in a plastic container with a paper towel in the bottom, then came back in the morning, and most of the paint wiped right off, then the second applacation, I couldn't reach to the paint on the inside, so I put it under the faucet of luke warm water, and the rest came right off, now it is totally naked. Now I found an old car, that looks as though it was sprayed with lacquer paint, so I sprayed it, sealed it up just like the Pak 40, and the next day, it looks as though it just cleaned the dirt off, and didn't touch the paint, anybody know what can take off lacquer paint ? Seems as though the oven cleaner only takes off enamel so far, haven't tried acrylics yet. Thank You in advance.

Kerry
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5,957 posts
Armorama: 2,956 posts
Posted: Monday, March 01, 2004 - 06:31 AM UTC
I use Castrol Super clean. It works on Testors enamel
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Monday, March 01, 2004 - 06:54 AM UTC
The oven cleaner worked fine on the testors enamel, couldn't ask for no better job, but this appears to be lacquer paint, I don't remember the model so it must of been one of my brothers models, but anyhow, it appears to be lacquer, the way it has runs in it, and the color seems real thin, so I'm assuming it has to be Lacquer paint, and the oven cleaner only washed off the dirt from setting probably thirty years or better.
TwistedFate
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 805 posts
Armorama: 286 posts
Posted: Monday, March 01, 2004 - 08:22 AM UTC
Brake fluid takes off laquer paint.

CSC and Easy Off oven cleaner takes off enamel and acryclics. Easy Off will also strip chrome from parts but I don't think many of you need that tip. Not much chrome work done around here.
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Monday, March 01, 2004 - 11:40 AM UTC
Hello TwistedFate, you mean the brakefluid doesn't harm the plastic at all, and is there a time limit, or any certain way I got to apply it. Do I just pour it on then let it set over night, or how do you use it? I appreciate your help.

Kerry
Mojo
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,339 posts
Armorama: 637 posts
Posted: Monday, March 01, 2004 - 12:04 PM UTC
Ive used brake fluid on plastic, never did have any luck with the oven cleaner... used it on a pak 40 as well... did a test piece, then l checked it after a few minutes to make sure the plastic was ok.. after that, just let it soak over night.. the only thing is you really need to wash well after using brake fluid.. it will foam up just like its real soapy.. just keep rinsing till it doesnt foam any more.. then a good wash with soap and water.. the pak 40 took a new coat of paint with no problems...

Dave
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Monday, March 01, 2004 - 12:42 PM UTC
Good one Dave, I always wondered about it cause it is hard to wash off your hands, so I could imagine it will be hard to wash off the model, so I will give it a try. What kind of paint was you trying to get off that the oven cleaner didn't get off?

Kerry
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Monday, March 01, 2004 - 01:30 PM UTC
OK Dave I'll update you tomorrow on the brakefluid, I went out to my garage, and found a whole can of it, even had some left in my gallon can from when I done brake jobs, but she didn't foam putting it on though, but I poured it all over, and sealed the container that the model is in.

Kerry
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 11:17 AM UTC
Well the brake fluid is taking the lacquer paint off, but not as easy as the oven cleaner did the enamel, I got to wipe pretty hard. While wiping hard, that is when I noticed that this model was made back in the 60's, cause the plastic is real thick, the models I have from the 70's are a lot thinner, and they started to color the plastic, before they were all plain white. So thanks a lot Twistedfate, and Mojo for teaching me about the brakefluid.

Kerry
TwistedFate
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 805 posts
Armorama: 286 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 01:41 AM UTC
Sorry I didn't get back to you fast enough. I had some surprise homework pop up I had to finish.

Thanks for covering for me Mojo.
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5,957 posts
Armorama: 2,956 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 01:50 AM UTC
Brake fluid removed nickel plating too
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,127 posts
Armorama: 1,217 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 02:00 AM UTC
useful tips gents,

ive got a couple of models that could be turned into real gems if i could get the crap paint finishes off!

cheers

joe
BuckGully
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 61 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, March 08, 2004 - 03:33 PM UTC
Thanks to this thread, the first model I built since re-starting got pulled out of the junk box and is now back on the workbench. It's the Italeri "Commando Hum-v". I'd first done it in woodland, then desert that didn't completely cover the woodland, then another layer of desert that didn't get thinned enough so it was all chunky, then it got weathered a bit too much and looked like an archeological find rather than just heavily used, then it got sprayed with several splotches of auto-air metallic blue while I tried to match the color on my (real) car for touch up work.

The funny thing was that my workshop had a can of easy off in it, apparently left by a previous tennant, in with a bunch of house paint, light fixtures and other odd's n ends. So I didn't even need to leave my room, much less go to the store. The weird part was that I hadn't even noticed it there until I read the threads about paint removal.

I also used Simple Green on some parts, which someone else in another thread suggested. It worked just as well as the easy-off on the acrylics, but didn't do anything to the bits that were painted with Testor's enamels. I like it since it's nowhere near as scary toxic as the easy off.

Now I need to find out if spray-on pet repellent is useful for modeling in any way. It was sitting next to the can of easy off.
 _GOTOTOP