_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Towed artillery
ziggy1
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 248 posts
Armorama: 231 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 01, 2017 - 10:15 PM UTC
Gentlemen
I am building a dio of the Battle of the bulge and was wondering if a Sherman or Stuart light tank were ever used to tow an artillery piece. Specifically a 105mm. I cant find any pics of it but surely it was possible?
Thanks!!
Chris (Ziggy1)
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,866 posts
Armorama: 1,808 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 01, 2017 - 10:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Gentlemen
I am building a dio of the Battle of the bulge and was wondering if a Sherman or Stuart light tank were ever used to tow an artillery piece. Specifically a 105mm. I cant find any pics of it but surely it was possible?
Thanks!!
Chris (Ziggy1)

Possible and very unlikely. The 105's were usually towed by a M2/M3 half track or the 2 1/2 ton 6X6, and there were plenty of those vehicles around to use. Never say never, but I cannot recall seeing it.
TotemWolf
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 294 posts
Armorama: 196 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 01, 2017 - 10:51 PM UTC
Almost all (I would say all but then I would find that one exception) US vehicles had the same tow hitch. Therefore it would be possible for any of them to hook up to a 105, but would they?

Having said that, I'm sure that at least once somewhere at sometime a Sherman towed a field piece at least a short distance just because is was the only choice right there right then.
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 9,465 posts
Armorama: 8,695 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 01, 2017 - 11:06 PM UTC
Artillery and tanks don't usually travel in the same circles (get the same assignment) but how about an M-10 or a Priest towing a 105? Of course the Brits took the turret off the Sherman and used the remaining vehicle (called a Ram) as an artillery tractor.
trickymissfit
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,357 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 02, 2017 - 02:09 AM UTC
[quote]Gentlemen
Thanks!!
Chris (Ziggy1)[/quote

two problems towing a 105 with a tank:
* it renders the tank useless if it meets an enemy unit.
* just pulling the howitzer is only part of the game, and a small part. You have to get ammo and the crew to use the gun.

Howitzers like a 105 or even a 155 were usually pulled by truck. A 105 might get by with a duce and a half on good roads, but the other is looking for a five ton or heavier. Plus you can haul enough ammo to save your life.
gary
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 02, 2017 - 03:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Artillery and tanks don't usually travel in the same circles (get the same assignment) but how about an M-10 or a Priest towing a 105? Of course the Brits took the turret off the Sherman and used the remaining vehicle (called a Ram) as an artillery tractor.

Actually, the Ram was a Canadian-built tank that used the Lee/Grant chassis with a Canadian-designed cast hull and turret. The firepower was lacking, as it used a 40mm Two-Pounder or a 57mm Six Pounder gun. Most were used for training, but some got dummy guns to use as artillery observation tanks, while some lost their turrets and were used as armored personnel carriers (Ram kangaroo) or artillery tractors.
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,402 posts
Armorama: 2,377 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 02, 2017 - 07:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

two problems towing a 105 with a tank:
* it renders the tank useless if it meets an enemy unit.
* just pulling the howitzer is only part of the game, and a small part. You have to get ammo and the crew to use the gun.

Problem 3: Tanks did not have any connections (air or electric) for the artillery's brakes.

KL
Removed by original poster on 08/03/17 - 20:07:12 (GMT).
 _GOTOTOP