_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Tiger 1 roadwheel help
chauvel
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 155 posts
Armorama: 154 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 05, 2017 - 07:11 PM UTC
Hi all
Need a bit of help with the outer roadwheel of my Tiger 1 kits - DML 6608 (Tiger131) & 6820 (Tunisian Tiger). Both kit instructions are basically the same at steps 2 & 3. Step 2 shows the outer wheel to be parts G7/G8 yet Step 3 shows these same wheels as G5/G6. Any ideas which way I should go here?

Thanks in advance
Byrden
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 2,233 posts
Armorama: 2,221 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 05, 2017 - 08:50 PM UTC
No, it doesn't show that at all. There is a wheel attached to another wheel at that point.

David
easyco69
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,275 posts
Armorama: 2,233 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 05, 2017 - 09:03 PM UTC
I was gonna say..David Byrden is the man to ask.
PvtMutt
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 614 posts
Armorama: 601 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 05, 2017 - 09:09 PM UTC
Right on David
cabasner
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,083 posts
Armorama: 1,014 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 06, 2017 - 09:16 AM UTC
Shaun,

If you have any way of getting the page in the instructions posted here (scanned page, or photograph the page), I might be able to help (though Mr. Byrden is THE expert)! I've built several DLM Tiger Is, and I'm sure I will be able to help you, IF I see the instructions. It turns out that I am going to buy both the Tiger models you mention in your post, but I don't have them yet, hence my need to see the instructions for those models.
11Bravo_C2
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 475 posts
Armorama: 394 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 06, 2017 - 09:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Shaun,

If you have any way of getting the page in the instructions posted here (scanned page, or photograph the page), I might be able to help (though Mr. Byrden is THE expert)!

Curt,

You can look here:

Tiger I Tunisian Initial s.Pz,Abt.501 and Pz.Rgt.7
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 06, 2017 - 11:26 AM UTC
Hi Shaun,
First of all take a close look at step 3 and count the layers of road wheels. There are two different groups, one "inner" and one "outer". If you count the layers of wheel discs there is first a single disc, then a pair, another pair and finally a single disc. This comes to 1 + 2 + 2 + 1 = 6 layers of discs. I haven't had the misfortune to have to replace one of the innermost discs but I think it requires removing the wheel discs from up to 6 axles (an expert may tell me that I am wrong ....Edit: see next post by David, looks like one or more discs need to be removed from up to 7 axles, even the idler and half the sprocket in some cases ...)
The "inner" has two discs close together near the inner half of the track and one disc at the outer edge of the track.
The "outer" has two discs close together at the outer half of the track and one disc close to the hull side.
Step 2 assembles the closely spaced discs of the "inner" group and the lonely and one of the close discs of the "outer" group.
Step 3 assembles the lonely disc of the "inner" group and the second of the two closely spaced discs of the "outer" group.

Now check the part numbers and follow the arrows.
Step 2: First assemble the innermost single disc (layer 1), then assemble the innermost pair of discs (layer 2 and 3), then the innermost disc of the outer pair (layer 4).
Step 3: First assemble the second/outer disc of the outer pair (layer 5), then assemble the lonely disc on the axle of the inner pair (layer 6).

/ Robin

Edit:
Added images for ease of reference.
Step 2

Step 3
Byrden
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Sunday, August 06, 2017 - 02:58 PM UTC
Study this diagram:

David
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 06, 2017 - 03:06 PM UTC
Now compare that to the T-34 suspension,and you wonder why they came up eith such a PITA set up.
Byrden
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Sunday, August 06, 2017 - 03:08 PM UTC
Because the Tiger was twice as heavy and they didn't know how to design stronger wheels.

There, you can stop wondering.

David
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 06, 2017 - 03:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Because the Tiger was twice as heavy and they didn't know how to design stronger wheels.

There, you can stop wondering.

David

m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,866 posts
Armorama: 1,808 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 06, 2017 - 06:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

And all this time I thought they were the best of the best, and just liked making simple things as complex as possible!

G7(G8) are the inner wheel of a pair, G5(G6) are the outer wheel of a pair. In David's diagram the pairs of wheels with the line through them. I had a look at the instructions on Hobby Search.
TopSmith
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,742 posts
Armorama: 1,658 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 06, 2017 - 09:53 PM UTC
Anthony, it was a way to get more tortion bars in the chassis and to spread the load more evenly across the track. However you are right. Just because it is designed to work doesn't mean it is designed for easy maintenance. Kind of like changing spark plugs in a big block 76 trans am.
chauvel
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 155 posts
Armorama: 154 posts
Posted: Monday, August 07, 2017 - 05:25 PM UTC
Thank you gentlemen for all the replies. I appreciate everyone's assistance.

Shaun
 _GOTOTOP