_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Adam Wilder Videos
cabasner
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,083 posts
Armorama: 1,014 posts
Posted: Monday, August 07, 2017 - 07:24 AM UTC
I know that I'm way late to the party with this post, but I just wanted to say that I watched the entire set of 27+ videos that Adam Wilder did on painting and weathering a KV-1 WW2 Russian tank. I am utterly ASTOUNDED on what he was able to accomplish, fantastic techniques (even though the videos say 'Techics' )

I'm sure that many of you are already familiar with Mr. Wilder's work, but it is new to me, and I know I'll be trying to follow his sequence and details on the next model I paint and weather. I plan to go video by video. He is a very clever marketer, too, as I just ended up spending a large chunk of money buying many of his pigments, filter and washes (for those colors that I didn't already have by other manufacturers). I have to say that the tank, at the end of the sequence of vids, was simply spectacular. What I like best is that he was able to do chipping the old fashioned way, with brushes and sponges, which look better than the vast majority of the hair spray or chipping fluid methods (in my humble opinion, of course) that I see a lot of.

If you've not seen these videos, PLEASE do yourself a favor, especially if you're a relative novice at AFV painting/weathering, as I am. You'll be glad you did.

P.S. I'm not a shill for Wilder, just a fascinated modeler who learned a lot!
Shalta
Visit this Community
Guangxi, China / 简体
KitMaker: 165 posts
Armorama: 160 posts
Posted: Monday, August 07, 2017 - 07:38 AM UTC
I'll take a look tomorow, thanks. Might be helpful... I've yet to actually weather any of my models. (Life issues... Got a few ready for weathering though.)
Just posting so I 'remember', lol.
11Bravo_C2
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 475 posts
Armorama: 394 posts
Posted: Monday, August 07, 2017 - 09:29 AM UTC
I bought his two books after watching the video series, and they are decent. Lots of tips and lots of typos . From what I gather, Adam brought a lot of techniques with him when he worked for the Spanish guys.
vettejack
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,277 posts
Armorama: 1,254 posts
Posted: Monday, August 07, 2017 - 06:49 PM UTC
I also have his 2 books...thick and heavy: chock full of old techniques splashed around modern interpretations of building. Stuff presented Rinaldi style.
Chapman
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 203 posts
Armorama: 198 posts
Posted: Monday, August 07, 2017 - 07:32 PM UTC
I bought the authentic metal DVD a few years back and it was a transforming experience for me in how to finish plastic to appear like rusted and weathered metal. Following his KV videos just builds on that DVD and is especially useful when treating a monochromatic subject.
Ringleheim
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 184 posts
Armorama: 183 posts
Posted: Friday, August 11, 2017 - 02:55 AM UTC
The hairspray technique, when done properly, yields superior chipping results to brushes and sponges in my opinion. I side with Michael Rinaldi on that one.

The key is achieving a scale effect. I would note that most models I see with the hairspray technique are not done particularly well with huge chips that are nowhere close to scale. This gives the technique a band name.

Belt_Fed
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,325 posts
Posted: Friday, August 11, 2017 - 04:06 AM UTC
Adam also has a few videos on airbrushing that are very helpful.

Keep in mind that these are all professional quality for the price of free.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Friday, August 11, 2017 - 09:47 AM UTC
Watching them, now. Looking forward to trying out some new techniques.
cabasner
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,083 posts
Armorama: 1,014 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 09, 2017 - 12:38 AM UTC
While I was very impressed with the Wilder videos (obviously, since I started this thread), I have been watching lots of other videos on YouTube and elsewhere about 'How To' do a variety of things modeling related, from the very basics, to some more advanced techniques. However, I'm finding that there seems to be a paucity of videos that address models that have Zimmerit or apply techniques to more difficult models or surfaces. Granted, most videos seem to be eared toward beginners, and dealing with subjects that may be more universal, is perhaps, most appropriate. However, some of the techniques seem to be somewhat less easy to apply to Zimmerit covered vehicles. For example, the oil 'dot' technique; I'm not sure how that would apply to Zim vehicles. Maybe I'm just stupid, and maybe that technique just shouldn't be done on those vehicles. I'm just not all the imaginative/inventive/creative when it comes to thinking 'outside the box' when thinking of ways to paint and weather models. For example, how would one use a stencil to paint numbers on a Zim covered tank? Certainly not as easily as a flat sided vehicle. I can sometimes do a reasonable job of applying what I've seen demonstrated, but coming up with ways to apply techniques to models that are a bit different than what I've seen before isn't always easy for me.

Maybe I'm just not looking in the right places to find these 'off the beaten path' techniques.
 _GOTOTOP