_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Talk
Site announcements, comments, or feedback about the site.
Long overdue return
nick_pal
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 327 posts
Armorama: 283 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 17, 2017 - 04:31 PM UTC
Well after a long unexpected break from any form of model building i think its a perfect time to pick up the sprue cutters and glue and get back into this wonderful hobby. I will need to get most of my equipment out of storage and see what is stashed away.

The big question is what will i start with. Something that has recently appealed to me is the Matilda. I would be keen to build an Aussie version. Im off to Cairns, Qld in a month or so and high on my list of priorities is to check out the Australian armour and artillery museum.

This will give me alot more motivation.

vettejack
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,277 posts
Armorama: 1,254 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 17, 2017 - 04:54 PM UTC
To add a bit of pleasure, or pain, to your build/return to the hobby...depending on your level of each...you can...

...check out EBay (other sites) for additional aftermarket parts to spruce up that Matilda. Choice of metal barrels exist, plenty of photo etch abound, and metal tracks will certainly help your Matilda show off new 'shoes'. Lots of good things have happened to the hobby since your absence...welcome back!
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,023 posts
Armorama: 1,234 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 17, 2017 - 05:06 PM UTC
Welcome back Nick ! Nothing like a trip to a big military museum to get the "juices" flowing. Have fun in Cairns !
nick_pal
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 21, 2017 - 08:41 AM UTC
Well ive made a start to my return to modelling. I have just purchased Trumpeters m1134 stryker. I have always wanted to build a "what if" vehicle....so i thought this would be a good base. Different from my previous builds which are as lifelike as possible. I will purchase some add on parts in the near future. I am really looking forward to getting my creative mind back into this project
Tanksami
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 1,314 posts
Armorama: 1,217 posts
Posted: Monday, August 21, 2017 - 08:54 AM UTC
Hi Nick,

Firstly welcome back to modelling!! Secondly you will love the Armour & Arty museum in Cairns, it is Awesome!! A few of us guys from the Melbourne branch of IPMS went up there last year & can't recommend it highly enough!!

And if you wanted to do a left field build they actually had put the back a Matilda Mk II, with a Staghound turret & the "spud type" tracks on it.

Mike
JSSVIII
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,169 posts
Armorama: 1,067 posts
Posted: Monday, August 21, 2017 - 04:12 PM UTC
Welcome back Nick!

Quoted Text

And if you wanted to do a left field build they actually had put the back a Matilda Mk II, with a Staghound turret & the "spud type" tracks on it.

Mike, was that a real one-off test vehicle, or just something the museum cooked up?
nick_pal
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, September 02, 2017 - 10:43 AM UTC
So after a bit online shopping i have purchased live resin's products LRE-35290 twin mount 50 cal browning and LRE-35243 remote controlled weapon station with 40mm grenade launcher. I tried to upload photos to the kitmaker site but couldnt. I have also purchased some alternate "fictional" numbers as this is going to be a "what if" i am thinking a desert yellow primary colour at this stage
nick_pal
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, September 11, 2017 - 07:53 AM UTC
Well ive made a start to this frankentank! I have gotten rid of the 8 wheels and am in the process of adding 6 sets of m4 sherman bogies (3 each side) i have added a rear idler wheel and will ad the drive sprocket aswell. I have a set of m4 tracks with the duckbills i will add to create extra width on the tracks. so far so good
nick_pal
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 08:05 AM UTC

So here is a progress pic so far. I will add another one tonight. The upper hull is just resting there for the pic
nick_pal
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 12:13 PM UTC

Here is the tank...? Currently.....once again the upper hull is just resting there for the pic. I have made a start on the upper hull, adding the few large obvious doors/panels. Any thoughts or comments welcomed 🙂
JSSVIII
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,169 posts
Armorama: 1,067 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 03:54 PM UTC
Nick, in your absence, PB has blocked users unless you want to pay their membership fees, IIRC $400. I have heard of a fix, but have not tried it, most people have switched services.
nick_pal
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 04:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nick, in your absence, PB has blocked users unless you want to pay their membership fees, IIRC $400. I have heard of a fix, but have not tried it, most people have switched services.

What is the best way to upload pictures froma mobile device? I have tried the kitmaker gallery like i used to and it wont upload any pictures 😐
nick_pal
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, September 23, 2017 - 04:08 AM UTC
Hi, just wondering if anyone knows of any model shops in the cairns, qld area?!
nick_pal
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 10, 2017 - 04:36 AM UTC

So this is where i am at with my "what if?"

I have converted the normally 8 wheeled m1134 into a tracked vehicle. I have used Sherman suspension units and will use the tracks that suit with the suspension units.

I will add more pictures later when i get home.
nick_pal
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 10, 2017 - 04:28 PM UTC

Here is another pic. I have a live resin remote grenade launcher to add to the rear hull and a few more details after its been added. A also have a live resin twin .50 cal browning to add to one of the crew hatches. Then its off to the spray booth.
nick_pal
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, October 28, 2017 - 07:31 AM UTC

So i have added the live resin turret/mantlet for the twin browning .50 cal. I had to add the weld seams (1st time ive ever tried) and im in the process of adding anti-slip texture to the horizontal surfaces.
nick_pal
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, October 29, 2017 - 01:22 AM UTC

Almost finished thw uppwr hull. Just need to add the twin 50 cal and grenade launcher. Also finish the driver's hatch and headlights. Comments welcome
nick_pal
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, November 03, 2017 - 05:41 AM UTC

I have just added the LiveResin twin .50 cal browning. I think they look great. 1st time I've used a LiveResin product....wont be the last. The grenade launcher is not going to work with the twin .50 cals....so i will remove the base for it and this will be an apc...might load it up with tarps,packs and ammo boxes etc..... Feedback and comments most welcome
nick_pal
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, November 03, 2017 - 01:27 PM UTC

Here is the base coat. It looks quite dark but the colour will be "faded" on the larger panels and am contemplating whether i leave it mono colour like a desert finish or a tri-colour camo scheme.....
 _GOTOTOP