_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Armor Around Commanders Cupola
bwiber
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 436 posts
Armorama: 320 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 19, 2017 - 08:03 AM UTC
I have been collecting and looking at photos of tank 525... a Panzer IIIJ of the 24th Panzer Division at Stalingrad with the aim of doing a model of it one of these days. This tank is in a couple of the more icon photos of that battle... This one... (all photos are for discussion purposes only)

As well as this one....

However, I have noticed something that I have never seen on any other Panzer III's in the first image... this partial collar around the commanders cupola.

I say I had never seen it any other place, until I got a copy of this photo...

Due to the structures in the background I am guessing that this is also a Panzer III of the 24th Panzer Division in Stalingrad. However, note the two bands across the front of the commanders cupola held up by a metal fitting on the one side, and possibly resting on the blade sight in the center.

After looking at this photo I am wondering if the bands aren't rubber tires from something such as a large half track, as it would be almost impossible to uncurl the rubber of a Panzer III road wheel. I base the idea that it is from a road wheel by the wear on the edges of the bands (especially the lower edge of the upper band) as well as what appears to be a mold seam in the center of the band faces.

My questions are...

1. Is this actually a rubber tire?
2. Is this a modification that is practiced unit wide (perhaps one squadron rather than the division) or is it individual vehicle commanders?
3. Would this have been used as added protection from rifle fire and shrapnel?

Thank you for looking, and any comments are welcome.
Bob....
AgentG
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
Armorama: 1,095 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 19, 2017 - 09:52 AM UTC
They look more like tires than anything else.

My guess would be to stop ricocheting shrapnel and/or bullet splash around the vision ports.

G
TopSmith
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,742 posts
Armorama: 1,658 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 19, 2017 - 09:31 PM UTC
It is probably something someone did to feel more secure. I can't see where it would help protect the cupola from damage. I agree it looks like a road wheel rubber tire.
1721Lancers
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,673 posts
Armorama: 1,640 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 19, 2017 - 10:11 PM UTC
Most certainly rubber tyres, and I guess only from singular vehicle commanders.
I have never seen this before, but will certainly go on the search
for more info.
If I find anything I'll let you know.

bwiber
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 436 posts
Armorama: 320 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 01:30 AM UTC
Thanks for your comments.... glad to know that I am not the only one that figures that those are probably tires. Be nice to have that bit of color up around the commanders cupola when I get to the model.

Just in case you wonder.... I found that last photo in a collection of almost 500 Panzer III 5cm photos. The link is...
Panzer III (5cm) There are some other nice albums also.

Thanks again, Bob
 _GOTOTOP