_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Armor Periscope Lenses
Tobar
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 192 posts
Armorama: 96 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 05:38 AM UTC
I am almost completed with my M2A2 Bradley AFV. I have been looking at some ref. pics and other builders project to get an idea as to how to make the lense of the periscopes look more realistic.
Just painting them blue kind of looks
So I was wondering if any of you may have a better technique to be more reailistic...

Thanks.
tobar
SFC_StJohn
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 128 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 06:09 AM UTC
Paint the periscopes a very dark blue and then cover the dark blue with Testors "windshield creating" glue (sorry, I don't remember the exact name but it's the stuff with the blue label in the black precision application bottle).

When I model stuff with openings for periscopes (commanders cupula for the M60A3 for example) I use this glue to create a "glass" over the opening and then apply dark paint on the back side (inside) of the glass. It works pretty good and looks authentic.

Tobar
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 192 posts
Armorama: 96 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 06:18 AM UTC
SFC_StJohn
Is the stuff you talked about kind of a "tinted-Future", to give the apprearance of a Glossy
blue.
I can see using this stuff on the cupula because of the inward concaved plastic, I was
looking for the flat periscope face the surrounds the rear compartment of the Bradley....

viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 2,247 posts
Armorama: 1,138 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 06:48 AM UTC
Go to your local dollar store. Go to the party supplies section, and look for the metallic confetti. You can get them in all kinds of different shapes, but the confetti hearts have the best area of use...come in alot of great colors....just cut out the right size and shape, little super glue and viola....periscopes that stand out.
You can also use these for sight optics on AFVs, TOW sights, sniper's scopes, etc, etc
Monte
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 833 posts
Armorama: 601 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 07:14 AM UTC
You can also pick up a couple of mv lenses at your hobby shop. Just bring the priscope so you can size the lense up to it. A hobby shop that deals alot with trains should have them. They are cheap and look great once in place.
gcdavidson
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
Armorama: 1,563 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 10:29 AM UTC
confetti is good, but tone it down a bit. I just wrote an article for FSM on Lasers and modern AFV optics.. confetti is one of the ways you can get that effect

_GOTOTOP