_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Which is the best Tiger I kit with interior?
Dinocamo
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 91 posts
Armorama: 89 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 26, 2017 - 09:17 AM UTC
Hello, I want to look for a good Tiger I with interior, scale 1/35. I know there are several post about this, but some of them are out dated. I just want to receive some more recent information and else.

I'm not a dead accurate modeller, so some inaccuracy is fine, I can fix some. However, I really hate a kit with fitting issues. I also look at site such as http://tiger1.info/kits.html (and I know that the author is around this forums as well). Still, it's still now enough for me to decide.

Thanks for helping.
Byrden
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 2,233 posts
Armorama: 2,221 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 26, 2017 - 09:40 PM UTC
For accuracy, the two best kits are Rye Field's 5003 and Model Factory Hiro's "early".

In fact, they are almost identical in accuracy. If you told me that Rye Field copied MFH, I would find it very hard to argue against that. Some of the same errors appear in both kits. But RFM did make a couple of little new mistakes.

For buildability, RFM wins out because their model is plastic and MFH have a mixed-media kit with lots of parts and lots of metal. Never built it but I can see that it's tricky.

For price and availability, RFM wins again. MFH was a limited edition and very expensive.

Note: both of these kits are "early" Tigers and they basically copy the contents of the Tiger in Bovington Museum. When manufacturers diverge from that example and try their hand at "mid" or "late", the accuracy score goes way down. So, for example, don't expect Rye Field's 5010 to be as accurate as their 5003.

David

Dinocamo
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 91 posts
Armorama: 89 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 27, 2017 - 04:46 AM UTC
Thank you sir.

I personally also chose the model by their historical performance, conform and some that I judged to be best of their series. For example, I like the "mid" Tiger because of their cupola ("mid" and "late"), binoculars optic ("early" and "mid", also because I have chance to get in some of the modern AFV and most of them use bino instead of mono, so bino is something better for me), gear and engine system (because the "mid" and "late" have better engine), etc. These are the same way I do with my other AFV models. After the Tiger I, I will get a T-54B from Miniart for the same reasons, T-54B is the best of its series. After the T-54B is the T-55 which I consider it another tank.

I specifically ask for the Tiger I because it's an iconic vehicle and there are too many choices in market.

So, as you said, RFM is good, and their "Mid" Tiger is so so. As I written in the original post, I'm not a dead-on modeller, so it's fine for me to have some inaccuracy. I think that I will go that one. I know that Academy also has some "mid" model but many claim about fitting issue, so I will pass that one.
 _GOTOTOP