_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Skkfz. 2 Kettenkraftad questions.....
MEBM
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 1,055 posts
Armorama: 530 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 01:54 PM UTC
I while ago, I received the Tamiya Sdkfz. 2. I saw that the treads were plastic, and were already attached to half the wheels. It just doesn't look real to me. If anybody has anything that they can tell me about this kit, and any info on it, such as can it tow a 75mm AT gun? Any pictures of it from the Russian Front, or Europe, or Africa, or anywhere would help a lot. Thanks for your time.
MEBM
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 1,055 posts
Armorama: 530 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 12:25 PM UTC
Please, I need info! I've "Googled" it, and I couldn't get any decent pictures! Thanks for your time.
MadMeex
Visit this Community
Vaasa, Finland
KitMaker: 424 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 01:28 PM UTC
According to my references, the Kettenkrad would be able to tow up the 50mm PaK38 in AT guns, and some of the early AA guns, such as the Flak 38 (single barrel 20mm) and FlaK 30. In howitzers, it can pull the IeIG 18, the 75mm short barrel, and that's about it. It can also pull both 75mm & 105mm recoilless rifles.

Hope this helps,
Mika
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 03:33 PM UTC
The Tamiya Kettenkrad is pretty old now and probably not very accurate. Dragon's is a much newer release. I haven.t assembled it yet, but the parts look very nice. And it has separate track. It also comes with a Pupchen - so there you have your kettenkrad towed artillery. As for a 75, two men could pull one a short distance on level ground, so a Kettenkrad could also pull one a short distance by road, ie. maybe only a few miles. But it certainly could pull a mountain 75, or a recoilless 75 just about anywhere.
 _GOTOTOP