_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Living History Day at Fort Knox
m60a3
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 778 posts
Armorama: 396 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 27, 2002 - 11:22 PM UTC
I am heading to Ft. Knox this July 4th for the Living History day at the Fort and Patton Museum. Anyone done this before? Any comments?
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 27, 2002 - 11:43 PM UTC
I was there 11 yrs ago, right after the Gulf War while a very young 1LT at my advance course. Nice show in the fields by the NCO Club and Patton Museum. Just about every WW2 vehicle that is still running is brought out. An added benefit back then was an Iraqi T-72 that was brought back as a war trophy. They have WW2 reinactors (read: guys in WW2 uniforms) around too. Well worth the trip.
sourkraut
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 602 posts
Armorama: 256 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 27, 2002 - 11:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I am heading to Ft. Knox this July 4th for the Living History day at the Fort and Patton Museum. Anyone done this before? Any comments?

this is a regular event for our reenactment group.there will be a good battle with lots of vehicles.you wont be disappointed
sturmann sourkraut will be there
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Friday, June 28, 2002 - 01:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Bob--go to Knox. Well-worth the trip. Last time I saw the demo, they had a Hertzer and an M4A3E8 along with a 251 and an M-3 Half Track. The museum add several vehicle to their collection including the Sherman 105mm. I am going there on business late in July and will definitely take photos of the Sherman collection. Marvelous place to visit. Best of luck and enjoy.
DJ
m60a3
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Friday, June 28, 2002 - 04:32 AM UTC
Thanks, guys. this will be a "homecomeing" of sorts after about a dozen years. I am takning fils, digital and video cameras too. Best part is the 14 hour ride from eastern PA with an 8-year old...
I'll try to post the digitals once I get back from vacation.
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,290 posts
Armorama: 658 posts
Posted: Friday, June 28, 2002 - 08:51 AM UTC
Is this event on th 4th? What time does it start. I live only 2-1/2 hours south. I remember seeing pictures in "Armor". I have just forgot about this event.
m60a3
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Friday, June 28, 2002 - 10:25 AM UTC
Ranger 74,

The festivities start at 1100 at keyes Park with a band concert. (45 minutes)
Following that, a 50 gun salter (one per state)
then guest speakers to complete the official ceremony.
The historical demonstration follows in the field behing the Patton Museum. My guesstimate is 1230-1300.
sourkraut
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Friday, June 28, 2002 - 10:34 AM UTC
we will put on a good show for you
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,290 posts
Armorama: 658 posts
Posted: Friday, June 28, 2002 - 10:37 PM UTC
I guess I will have to go :-) Wish I had an Armorama shirt, so we could meet. I will need to where my Lima Tank Plant M1A2 hat my brother gave me.
sourkraut
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Friday, June 28, 2002 - 11:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I guess I will have to go :-) Wish I had an Armorama shirt, so we could meet. I will need to where my Lima Tank Plant M1A2 hat my brother gave me.

ill be wearing an ss uniform
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 29, 2002 - 03:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

ill be wearing an ss uniform

Scott--I think it will be easier for him to find you....you'll be stand-out in that black wool uniform in Kentucky in July....send pictures
DJ
Dubanka
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 152 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 29, 2002 - 11:50 AM UTC
I know I'm a newbie, But I'll be there also.
The museum will be putting on a great show from what I hear (inside info)
The post commander will be TC'ing a M4A1 grizzly

John
m60a3
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 11, 2002 - 01:14 AM UTC
Well, I made it back and frankly had a wonderful vacation (2d best; trip to London with my son and dad was by far the best...)
I have to say what a great show the reenactors put on, from the bivouac displays to the actual reenactment in the intense July heat. The display of equipment and uniforms was especially enjoyable. So many of the reenactors spent time explaining the equipment and uniforms. I even have a few pics of my son in SS Grenadier garb holding a Mauser rifle (he still is talking about that). Also to hear the throaty rumbling and distinctive squeals of the Jagdpanzer IV, the Hetzer and the US tanks was awesome! After the reenactment, the staff allowed us to climb up on and inside the M10 tank destroyer!
I have not seen the museum in about ten years; they've done good work in improving the display area. They are preparing to expand the facility, which is an exciting prospect. The addition of the Stug recovered from the marshes outside of Riga, Latvia, is neat.
A bonus for that day was the opening to the public of the LST Building storage facility. This building was constructed as a training platfom during WW2 to train tank drivers how to load and unload tanks from Landing Ship, Tanks This wooden structure is or will be listed on the National Register of Historic Places for it's unique structure and it's place in history. I was able to visit the building in 1988; most of the vehicles in storage then were foreign post-war vehicles. Now it houses 2 M60A3s, an M60, the M3 White Scout Car, a Stuart prototype, a Jumbo Sherman, an M4A3 flamethrower, an M46, an M47, a Walker Bulldog and some other things of which my memory cannot recall. All of the vehicles were open and you were allowed to climb on and in them...lots of dirt and rust, but man what a time I had! Thanks to the museum volunteers who made this happen too!
Touring the post, we stopped to take photos of some other vehicles on the base. My favorite is an impeccibly maintained USMC M60A1 RISE Patton with ERA. Shot a whole roll of film there...
The other thing that surprised me is that Hardin County, Kentucky is no longer DRY!
Hope to post some of the images I took shortly. :-)
 _GOTOTOP