Hosted by Darren Baker
MiniArt 1/35 T-54-2 MOD. 1949 Build Log
Scipio2010
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 323 posts
Armorama: 221 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 31, 2017 - 08:23 PM UTC
The Ukrainian based MiniArt model company has struck a veritable gold mine over the last few years by producing kits of early Cold War Era Soviet AFV's. Some of the new releases were desperately needed replacements for kits by other manufacturers that were long out dated (Tamiya's SU-85 & Trumpeters early T-54's) while other kits were first of its kind in plastic molding (T-44 & T-44M).

MiniArt has also expanded the options by selling separate 'Interior Kit's that offer well detailed interiors that were traditionally relegated to resin aftermarket conversions or scratch building.

This build log is for the T-54-2 Mod. 1949 kit # 37012 which is just the exterior kit (The T-54-2 w/ interior is kit #37004). Although Ive built numerous kits from other venders, this will be my first MiniArt kit, and I am excited to see how it builds up.

The T-54 evolved from the T-44 and the T-54-1 was the first version put into production in 1948. The T-54-2 was introduced in 1949, and featured a dome shaped turret among other improvements. The Soviets produced roughly 1400 units of the T-54-2 between 1950-51. In 1951 further developments led to the T-54-3, which reached full production as the T-54A. The T-54/55 family is the most widely produced tank in the world, and this kit helps round out the kits already on the market.

Unboxing.
The kit features 625 plastic parts on 49 different sprues - And I thought Dragon kits came with a lot of sprues. The kit also comes with a PE fret, and decal sheet with markings for 6 different versions. The instruction lists out the highlights of the kit, such as workable Torsion bars, and oddly enough claims 'Total Details 714'. Im curious what they count as a 'detail' it just seems like a silly/arbitrary stat to throw out there.

The instructions seem to be clear and well laid out - Im very interested in spotting any discrepancies with the instructions. The Instructions have colored pictures for the marking guide. The 6 markings offered are all listed in the marking guide as 'Soviet Army, 50th Years' I assumed this was referencing the Soviets 1968 50th Anniversary but if anyone knows about what this references I would like to hear more.

Almost all of the sprues feature parts molded without flash and crisp in detail. Only one sprue (Kd, QTY 2) had minor flash around the sprockets and suspension, which will be easy to clean.

_GOTOTOP