_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Contests
This group is home to our various contests, promotions and drawings.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Armorcon 2017
TheGreatPumpkin
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 690 posts
Armorama: 672 posts
Posted: Friday, September 01, 2017 - 06:39 AM UTC
Hi All,
Sorry folks! The sign-up got messed up, so I deleted the old one and reposted it with the corrected links.
Armorcon 2017 is fast approaching on September 22-23, 2017. For more info on the show itself, go to: http://www.nemilmod.org/default.htm . Last year things worked pretty well, so since it isn't broken, we're not going to try to fix it. First, my sincerest thanks to all attendees who allowed the judges to work unimpeded with the doors open at last year's event. I think everyone appreciated this change and we'll be doing it again this year. Second, model handling will be the same as last year. In order to facilitate the public being able to view the maximum number of models at any given point, the models will be moved from the Ram-Rod table to the model room, with the tray underneath them. The model will then be moved from the model room to the “pit” and back when it is judged. If it still has a tray under it, the model has not been judged, please give the judges time to get to it. Third, we will continue with Category XVI: Classic kits. This is defined as: Out of the box only, 25 years or older, must show proof with instruction sheet. If you have any questions, email me to discuss it.
In addition, I'd like to turn your attention to the Special Awards we have for this year:

American Heroes
Best 911 (Rescue)
Best Commonwealth Subject
Best Diorama
Best Figure
Best German
Best Ordnance
Best Russian/Soviet
Best Sherman
Best Small Army
Best U.S.
Best USMC
Best Weathering
Show Theme

Please make sure you check the boxes on your forms in order to be considered eligible for award(s).
WE NEED JUDGES! For those of you who have attended the extravaganza, you’ll remember we have had 250+ models at this show. For the AMPS system, that requires 4 judges for every piece, that’s a lot of man-hours. If you are coming and you are competing, I would strongly suggest you consider a judging tour. They’re 90 minutes long and will help us out a lot. The judge’s meeting is at 9:00 am and 2:00 pm on Friday and 8:00 am and 12:00 pm on Saturday. Traditionally, a “thank you” for the judges has been first crack at the vendors. However, this will ONLY be done on FRIDAY morning. Ideally, I’d like to have manpower for 4 tables to start the show (16 judges and 2 runners). So please, if you are planning on coming to the show the night before, and staying at the hotel, I’d really appreciate it if you would come and lend a hand early on. As this worked so well last year, I'm turning to the web to sign-ups for working the show: I have created a sign-up sheet for helping out at the show. Just follow this link: www.SignUpGenius.com/go/4090E4EA8A72EA3F94-armorcon2 and you will be good to go. You can sign up at your leisure and I’ll be able to print it out before the show, with the available slots left for the taking at the judge’s meeting on the respective days.
Next, if you are interested, we will be having the Judge’s Certification class and Table Captain class on Friday night (time TBD). If you would like to become a certified judge, please let me know and I’ll talk to Mike Petty to set up the class. We will only be running these classes if there are enough people PREREGISTERED beforehand, so if you want to do this, please contact me to pass you along to Mike. Otherwise the class may not be held due to lack of interest.
I'm going to beat a dead horse here, because I say this every year. Thankfully most people have "gotten it" and there haven't been too many instances of this recently. There is a note of etiquette and courtesy to your fellow competitors and show staff I’d like to bring up. In the past, we have had people who brought a lot of models for competition and then did not help with the show. While this works fine at an IPMS-style judging arrangement, it is death for an AMPS show. It effectively floods the judges with models and gives no additional manpower to move entries through the system. In past years we had judges who sat for 3 hours straight. It is unfair to ask them to do it again. If you don’t feel qualified to judge (for whatever reason), there are plenty of administrative jobs to be done in running the show.
So, to recap: go to the link above and pick out the available time(s) you want to judge or work at the show. Also, if you would like to be enrolled in the Judge’s certification class, please let me know. I look forward to seeing everyone on the 22-23rd of September and I look forward to working with you at Armorcon 2017.
Regards,
Georg Eyerman
Chief Judge
Armorcon 2017
[email protected]
TheGreatPumpkin
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 690 posts
Armorama: 672 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 03, 2017 - 07:24 PM UTC
Just a shameless plug to move this to the top of the list for greater visibility. Sorry.
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Monday, September 04, 2017 - 11:49 PM UTC
It's an excellent show with very good vendors and lectures by top people. Georg works every year to make sure the judging is improved, including getting the personal taste element out of things. I plan on arriving Friday and spending some quality time with my friends at one of the local watering holes (I hope Uber is there, haha). If you haven't come, you're missing out.

And let's have lots of USMC armor or other things.
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
Armorama: 2,859 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 05, 2017 - 12:19 AM UTC
It is a great show, run by great people. It is a definite must, unfortunately I have to pass this year. Sad to miss it.

So George, not sure if there will be any crazy canucks to give you hard time in the judging area this year. But will be back next year.
Armorsmith
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,063 posts
Armorama: 1,000 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 05, 2017 - 12:47 AM UTC
Plan on being there with about 6-7 guys from Lancaster, PA AMPS. Arriving sometime Friday afternoon.
JSSVIII
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,169 posts
Armorama: 1,067 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 05, 2017 - 03:53 AM UTC
It will be nice to see all of you guys in person again, looking forward to meeting some more people from Armorama this time around also!
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 05, 2017 - 04:09 AM UTC
I will be there Saturday morning,always enjoyed the show,stayed overnite in April but just making the day trip this time
 _GOTOTOP